main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA Fanboys: Updated

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by _Master-Skywalker_, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Master-Skywalker_

_Master-Skywalker_ Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 30, 2005
    not sure if you've heard about the changes to be made to the movie that I think we have/had all been looking forward to ?

(posted by Mike on another forum):

Ok, where to begin...You may have noticed that there have been no TV spots for Fanboys which had been slated to come out on January 18th. Well, that's because the film has again been pushed back. Rumors are circulating all around the good old interweb as to why this might be. Most of the latest batch of rumors stemmed from a blog post over at The CineManiac.

Apparently Judd Apatow's producer Shauna Robertson is working on a re-edit of the film that could possibly take the cancer plot out of the film. Some re-shoots were done as well. For those who don't know, the plot was to center on a group of friends making their way to Skywalker Ranch to steal a copy of The Phantom Menace for their friend who will die of cancer before the film is released. Like the blog points out, if the cancer plot is eliminated, doesn't that leave a bunch of kids who just want to steal a film. Might be a lot harder to root for them even if they are a bunch of Star Wars fanatics like ourselves. Doesn't that take a lot of the heart out the film? Does Hollywood think we as an audience can't handle heavy subject matter and comedy at the same time?

have a look at this article:

Fanboys changes

There is a massive internet swell of boycotting this film, not sure how I feel about it all. At the very least it is extremely disappointing.

2. Darth_Meanders

Darth_Meanders Jedi Master star 5

May 23, 2004
    That does sound disappointing. Sounds like they are trying to dumb it down for a wider audience. Looks like the people doing the re-edit don't really 'get it' :(

3. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    More bad news :(

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/More_Fanboys_Drama_112732.asp

4. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    if you're interested in Fanboys, you just gotta read this :

a must read

5. oz_skipp

oz_skipp Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2004
    I heard that they were re-cutting it without the cancer subplot (which I thought was necessary to justify the film stealing). Why are they dumbing it down? Apparently it's offensive to cancer sufferers (the excuse they're giving anyway). I don't buy it, but as the guy pointed out in the last link, the original cut (or at least segments of it) will be on the DVD.

As far as boycotting it goes, after all this time I still want to see it. Hopefully it won't be too much like a stupid teen film, I did like what I saw in the trailer.

6. Darth_Aranel

Darth_Aranel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    This type of thing really make my blood boil, literally.:mad:

It really really annoys me when wonderful little movies like this are made, then taken by the horrible teeth of people that gave us Little nicky (which if we get REALLY anal about it can be seen as hugely offensive to all christians/catholoics everywhere). WHy must this happen to things like this? i mean who actually sets out to actually ruin a movie and alienate it's fanbase at once? That horrible line about re-editing it due to the original plot being offensive to cancer sufferers i find appalling. Some people that are reading this may have had relatives that suffered from this horrible affliction but i cannot see many of them agreeing with this statement from Brill.

One of the wonderous things about the human intelliegence is the ability to identify the difference between both reality and imagination. If this cancer excuse actually flies, should i have read about people boycotting Hotel Rawanda for it's terrifyingly accurate portrayal of events that day. Why did i not see massive public outbursts over "i Am Sam" for it's offensiveness to disabled people and/or their carers?

The simple answer is such; people can tell it's not real, and it's intent is certainly not to belittle or insult it's subject audience. In the case of films such as the above two, their purpose is to inform and educate the public with the hope of events not repeating themselves. Such is the case with the subject of this thread. It was the story of a good group of friends giving a member of their group the proverbial "last meal" request of seeing TPM before he dies. This shows an immense amount of heart and thoughtfulness from both these characters and the writer, who i beleive wrote this because of his mothers battle with cancer.

I remember first seeing the original trailer for this years ago, and how excited i was that it did not resort to the "boobs and fart jokes" comedy of many other teen movies that spew out of hollywood every year. And yes, even the much sought after SW vs ST fight was included, so i thought to myself "how could this possibly go wrong?" simple, give it to Steve Brill and watch it belittle and humiliate it's subject fans by showing us as nothing more than losers that can't wait three months to see our latest fix. Way to go there Steve, sorry to question your superior movie skills, i forgot you made Mr Deeds.

We have been told pretty much to "stop our bitching" because the original cut will be released on the DVD of the movie. I'm sorry but that's just not good enough."If it aint broke, don't fix it"

Matt.

7. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    Matt, I completely agree with you.

You might want to check this out too, you'll find it funny:

Fanboys comic strip

8. Darth_Aranel

May 20, 2005
    Haha MS, that does sound quite likely.

Torrentspy anyone?;)

9. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    I ain't giving Darth Weinstein & Grand Moff Brillo head (as they're now being refered to as by Porkins ;) ) my hard earned dollars !!

10. Darth_Aranel

May 20, 2005
    Well, have faith most people won't.

Anyway, to lighten the mood, here is my favourite game show from the category of "crazy funky Asian" i hope you will enjoy as much as i did. (that is almost giving myself a hernia)

Silent Library

11. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    well, that did lighten the mood [face_laugh]

12. Darth_Aranel

May 20, 2005
    Boba fett was a walking Arsenal of weaponry, i'm the equivalent in crazy game shows and usless trivia ;)

13. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    I find it hard to reconcile 'boycotting' the film. Do actors and others involved get a cut of the takings, or are they paid a set fee? I'd personally like the film to succeed, slightly dodgy re-edit or not.

However, I'd personally like to see the original more. *sigh*

14. Darth_Aranel

May 20, 2005
    it all depends on the contract the actor signed. Some of the larger "A" grade celebreties can issue a flat fee for their roles in the movies, whereas the smaller time ones usually work out either a falt rate fee, or a percentage of the net profit.

15. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
  16. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    Sounds like things are getting back on track now. The original director is back and it looks like the theatrical release this year will be the storyline as it was intended.

So, good news.

17. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    What a cluster-f-bomb.

I just want them to get the damn thing out already!

18. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Cant wait for this one, should be an awesome laugh. Lets hope I'm still alive when it finally comes out!! :p

19. Obi-Wan_Toddi

Obi-Wan_Toddi Former SAFF CR star 6

Feb 7, 2005
    Why? People already ploting your assassination?? [face_mischief]

20. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Could be......apparently some don't like my colours very much :p

21. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    Just as long as you don't start talking like this you'll be safe ..... ;)

22. _Master-Skywalker_

Apr 30, 2005
    [face_laugh]

:confused: some ?

:p

23. Darth_Meanders

May 23, 2004
    The other thing that caught my eye, or ear, listening to Kyle Newman interviewed on a recent Forcecast was that Mark Mothersbough was doing the soundtrack. If you're a big fan of Wes Anderson films or red flower pots that's good news :)

24. oz_skipp

Apr 20, 2004
    New trailer out. Not quite as immediately funny as the first trailer, they've recut some of the scenes (they seem somehow less spontaneous), but still a good watch.

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/fanboys/trailer

Edit: and a video chat with Kevin Spacey and someone else about the film.

http://www.amctv.com/videos/smso/?bcpid=353549892&bclid=1127686878&bctid=1716391789

25. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Does anyone know when this is being released here???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.