main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Favourite Sc-Fi series

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by soneil, Sep 24, 2006.

?

Favourite Sc-Fi series

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Startrek Enterprise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Stargate Atlantis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Battlestar Galactica

25.0%
  4. Stargate SG1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Andromeda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Farscape

8.3%
  7. Babylon 5

25.0%
  8. Yoyager

8.3%
  9. Deep Space 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Doctor Who (new series)

33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    What's do you think is the best in recent years? Feel free to comment since a lot of you may have more than one favourit which the poll doesn't allow for. There's others I haven't listed but I thought I'd pick some of the biggies. For instance I think Starhunter is a pretty decent series but hardly anyone's heard of it.

Personally my favourites from the above list would be Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who. I was never a big Dr Who fan before the new series but I've really gotten in to it with the new ones. Most of the others I think are good but not as good. With the possible exception of Andromeda. Andromeda started off pretty good if a little cheesy. After season 2 I think it went from good to so-so and season 5 sucks so bad I never bothered finishing the season.

2. LBJ

LBJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    Firefly for me.....or does it's cancellation make it an invalid option for voting purposes? oh well....still was a cool show.

X-Files? Though that's also supernatural/thriller but it has some sci/fi elements in there.

3. Master_Kaustin

Master_Kaustin Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2002
    Actually None of them for me! im not really Huge on Sci Fi TV Shows..

4. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm not familiar with firefly which is the only reason I didn't list it. Half the ones on the list are cancelled. What's firefly about?

5. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    Firefly is definately better than everything on the list, but for the sake of the list I choice Voyager.

If your interested in watching Firefly I'll gladly lend you the dvd's Steve.

Have you seen Serenity Steve ?

6. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Haven't seen it. Wouldn't mind checking out firefly.

7. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    There's a reason it succeeded, and that is it got cancelled.

It didn't really leave much room for itself to go, and even though there were tentative plans in place for 2 sequels to the film, you can tell it was written as a final cap to the story put forward by the series.

Check it out by all means, if several hours when we were kids playing Elite is anything to go by, I know you'll enjoy it.

Incidentally, on the Elite note there, check out a game called Dark Star One. Closest they've come since.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I won't vote. If only because I'm torn between new Doctor Who and Battlestar Galactica.

8. LBJ

LBJ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2004
    I disagree, I think Firefly had a lot of potential direction, and at a guess would say Joss would have had ideas for around at least 5 seasons worth (give or take). Given his story telling approach in the X-Men as well as Buffy/Angel he seems to love the long story arcs, with one episode/issue feeding into the next. In interviews since it's cancellation he's commented on how he learned to have more main characters since making Angel (which in his view didn't have enough characters at the start) to tell lots of stories with hence he had about 9 (I think) main characters on the ship for firefly.

From what I read terrible screening times, poor treatment from fox, and supposedly Joss annoying the heck out of a fox executive when he complained about the show's treatment is what lead to the cancellation (I guess everyone has their theory though).

I agree in the fact that I doubt Universal will exercise it's options for the sequels given it's generally poor box office performance though.

and yes...Dark Star One is fantastic.

9. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    BSG for me.

10. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    It's mostly the discussion I like anyway and I agree with those 2 picks. I got the end end of the second new doctor who seasons a few weeks back which should be on local telly soon. I think the 2 part episode it ended with was one of the best I've seen. After the first season I was initially disappointed that Christopher Eccleston wasn't continuing but it didn't take long to warm to David Tennant as the new doctor. They've both done it very well (thouh it's kinda funny seeing Dr Who as barty crouch junior as well :) )
    Anyone seen the comic relief Dr Who with Rowan Atkinson etc? Very good. I've got it on a VHS tape which has a couple of other Dr Who parodies on it.

11. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Check it out by all means, if several hours when we were kids playing Elite is anything to go by, I know you'll enjoy it.

Oh ho! Elite! I had the singular joy of comparing its playability on the original old BBC Micro (my friend's), the Commodore 64 (mine), and something like a 286 (my friend's machine...which really smoked... :D ) The Commodore 64 won out...it felt more like a proper flight simulator.

How can you forget Elite? ... Find two planets, one a poor agricultural society, the other a rich technological society. Trade computers to the farmers, and furs to the aristocrats. Make money fast. Buy a military laser for the front view, mining laser to the rear, and beam lasers to the left and right ... not to mention the energy bomb, ECM system, fuel scoops, and escape pod ... oh, my. My regret was not playing it long enough to get past the ranking 'Deadly', though I did finish the two 'missions' that there were in the game. And stuffing up hyperspace jumps so you run into Thargoid battleships! How cool was that game??? And it had the equivalent of freakin' vector graphics as its interface!

12. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I'm obviously not as old as you guys coz I have never heard of this game at all.

13. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    And hearing blue danube played as you engaged the automatic docking mechanism. :) I never got all that far in the game but it was certainly ahead of it's time. The next game I played that kinda came close was Wing Commander Privateer. Different in a lot of ways but the same general concept of trading between planets, fighting off pirates etc.

14. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Just got dark star one (actually bought a week or two ago but it was for my birthday). I like it so far. Had to download an update to fix a common joystick problem with the game which I was affected by (x-axis not working). Space combat seems a bit more sluggish than in the x-wing series and reminds me a lot more of the wing commandes games. I'm quite enjoying it though.

15. Master_Kaustin

May 17, 2002
    For those of you that dont know...

Foxtel is starting a Sci-Fi Channel starting 1st December i think :p

which basically consists over every show above...

Plus

X-files
    Tripping the Rift..
    Buffy
    Sliders
    Dead Zone
    Lexx
    Medium
    Quantum Leap....

nice :p and on saturday and sunday nights.. they have a movie...

check out

http://www.scifitv.com.au/content/downloads/Scifi_Program.pdf

:)

16. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I don't get Foxtel but would they have any plans for showing reruns of older sci-fi shows as well? I suppose there'd be enough new stuff to fill the program but it's always cool to watch some of the older ones.

17. Master_Kaustin

May 17, 2002
    Not sure soneil... always a possibility.. :) shall see i spose

18. purple-lightsaber

purple-lightsaber Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2006
    They need to put Spellbinders on Sci-Fi. That show rocked!

19. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I would have liked to have seen where they went with that show, as I only caught a few episodes.

20. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    I would say:

Greates American Hero
    Space 1999
    Robotech
    Metal Mickey lol

21. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Isn't this poll for recent sci-fi shows?...

Anyway, my choice is Doctor Who new series, but I have always loved Stargate Sg-1 (Atlantis is fairly decent too) and I am currently making my way through all of Farscape!

Yeah I got this off eBay a little while ago. The main story 'The Curse of Fatal Death' is brilliant but the other parodies are pathetic IMO.

22. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Hey, the Dr Who actor that goes 'fantastic!' all the time (I forget his name) is in the latest episode of heroes! Sweet!

Almost didn't recognize him at first.. was thinking "I know him from somewhere..."

23. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    He's also in the last harry potter movie. I saw him in that before I saw him in dr who.

I've watched a fair bit of Firefly now. Pitty it got canned so early. Great show. It seems to have kinda ripped a few things off starhunter which was a couple of years earlier (for instance Starhunter's 3 main characters - Malcolm=Dante, Zoe=Lucrecia, Kaylee=Percy) but it does it better so I don't mind that.

24. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    Just got to the last episode of SG1. 10 seasons. Not a bad finale.

25. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I never got into stargate as much as I would have liked too.

It'll be something I'll have to start collecting one day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.