main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF-UK: North @ Collectormania Manchester G-Mex Sat 17th and Sunday 18th of March

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by Spike2002, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    G-Mex Central Hall, Manchester, M2 3GX
    Entry available online (available shortly) and on the day of the event.

GUESTS CONFIRMED SO FAR:

STEVEN BERKOFF
    James Bond: Octopussy
    ROBERT PICARDO
    Star Trek Voyager
    Stargate SG-1
    ETHAN PHILLIPS
    Star Trek Voyager
    ANDY HALLETT
    Angel

OPEN: SATURDAY - 9AM TO 6PM, SUNDAY - 10AM TO 5PM
    SATURDAY ADMISSION: Early Bird £10 (from 9am). Standard (from 11am) Adults £5, kids £3 (under 12)
    SUNDAY ADMISSION: Early Bird £10 (from 10am). Standard (from 11am) Adults £5, kids £3 (under 12)

OVER 400 TABLES OF MERCHANDISE
    MAJOR COMPANIES FROM AROUND THE UK, EUROPE AND AMERICA
    TOYS, COMICS, CARDS, POSTERS, MOVIES, AUTOGRAPHS, & MORE!

MANY GUEST STAR SIGNINGS
    CELEBRITIES FROM BLOCKBUSTER MOVIES AND CULT TV, MEETING FANS & SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS!
    DISPLAYS, EXCLUSIVE TALKS, FREE EVENTS, PROMOTIONS & MUCH MORE.

*Disclaimer: Because I am lazy, I pasted all this from the GMEX website front page, so I apologise for the capital letters, but I ain't gonna change em.

OK, theres the info. Now, a question.

Would FF-UK North members want a table (will be regional manned by North, but with us representing also what North members do - Tim can sort out regional :p ) - we'll also promote what FF and JC can do for fans (ie support fan fic, fan art, fan film, etc?

As of now, we don't have the same relationship with Showmasters that we were privileged to have in 2006, so we may have to consider paying for a table - and if that is the case it is likely 99th and RL will share one table - their costumers will be focused on entertaining, any FF who are NOT RL / 99th will focus on table and supporting costumers, as per RL/99th instructions (as far as I have been told, if I'm wrong, correct me :p)

*** dates changed ***

2. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Info's correct as posted ;) :p
    If you are signed up in one group to attend, don't sign up as another too (so stick with either FF, RL or 99th) - it gets too confusing who's your CO and also confusing to the general public. Each person can then focus on the one group they are representing, but since we'll all be there together - we work together but pass on enquiries related to each group's expertise to the representative there - ie

FF/JC = social meets / "creativity" (Fan fic, fan art, fan film, etc / SW EU fiction, games, etc (since we have whole boards dedicated to all this stuff).
    RL = Rebel Alliance / Republic costuming
    99th = Imperial costuming / Props (am I right?)

Some FF members there have areas of "expertise" - I'd say Sie is SW fiction, me I am big on the SW comics (and have friendly relationship with the people doing them). So we may emphasise that.

But this time we will emphasise what FF can do. If you are FF and want to man a table (if we get one) you'll have to be comfortable chatting with the public. There will be other FF roles too. Plus, FF has the chance to gain casual members from these types of shows - whereas costumers are people who put in time and effort to an concentrated display - so gaining membership may be more difficult. But we'll all work together to get new people into the groups where they fit best.

All COs (CR + RSA of FF) of the three groups will hopefully have a group chat soon about all this - most likely via MSN since we all have access to that.

Edit: And yeah Jase, I will drag the banner with me this time, even if it does (and most likely will) kill me ;) :p

3. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    I think that if we need to then we should pay for a table though I don't think it's a good idea to share a table. It's not that I don't surrport costuming or anything else but we need to keep the groups seprate as not to confuse the public who we are.
    Even if we have sepate tables doesn't mean we can't help each other :)

4. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    I hope that you are a rich man then Coz. A table to hire at an event like this will set you back around £135....practical you must be....swayed you will not be if think on this you do...Both the 99th Imperial and RL are both not for profit clubs. The money comes direct from our own pockets. If you are saving for CE, then you will understand I am sure...
    Oh yes, bring you must, do or do not....

5. ForceGhostOfCozmic

ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 25, 2005
    I know that and didn't forget that, I'm not trying to be funny but I'm worried that three goups sharing one table will confuse people and make them think we are one and the same.

6. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    Well, that depends how big the table is, and well you use the space, ;)

Will SM not budge on giving the groups a freebie? I'd have thought they'd actively support fan groups to attend these events F.O.C. becuase it helps promote their event - admitedly only in the SW fan-world, but still...

7. nlindenj

nlindenj Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2006
    just extracted this from the showmasters site

I am posting this on behalf of Showmasters who are currently experiencing internet difficulties:

Hi

We discovered this morning that there has been a double booking at the GMEX Centre itself, which means that Collectormania GMEX 3, will unfortunately now have to move dates. Instead of it being held on the 10th and 11th of March 2007, it will now be held on the weekend of 17th & 18th March 2007.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused, but we really had no other option open to us.

Please can you all help in spreading the word regarding the change of date as not everyone who is planning on attending the show is a member of this forum.

Thank you for your help.

Showmasters

so re-arrange your travel and hotel plans

8. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Thanks Nige, was about to post the same info, I'll change the title to account for this. I'll get in with one room booking right now - same place, PTI Deansgate Locks - since I am there Friday night to Monday morning. Jase, Suzi - you will need to rebook too :)

9. nlindenj

Mar 5, 2006
    can't you get a room at the gmex pti? just over the road and no nutters hanging around

10. Ranouch_Heath

Ranouch_Heath Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2006
    Im saving up like mad for a couple of things but most of all Attending this event !

11. suzijedi

suzijedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2006
    Right, managed to get 2 double rooms on Fri 16th and Sat 17th at PTI Deansgate Locks. Same price as the twins.

12. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Bantha Poodoo! I just tried to book for PTI Deansgate Locks for Friday - Monday and nada! PTI G-Mex seems available.

Nige - main reason for Deansgate Locks over G-Mex was more to do with parking. If I book G-Mex means we'll be split into two groups in two hotels.

13. nlindenj

Mar 5, 2006
    oooops sorry didn't realise:oops:

14. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Just realised something lol Suzi!
    Double means "double bed" as in one big bed - twins are the only real option unless u want to get close to your fellow roomies.

Think we should go for PTI G-Mex? Not sure about what you'll do for parking.

15. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    Tim- can you not just do Fri-Sun and take a space in one of my rooms?

16. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Check above Suzi lol ^
    Not sure how close I would want to get to the people attending :p
    Jase can't keep his hands to himself lol [face_laugh]

17. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    lol- I know double means a double bed- I just thought maybe one person sleeps in the bed and another on top in a sleeping bag..? I just booked what I could get to be honest! ;)

18. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    How many we got per room? Think there will be about 6 people +
    We may need another room anyways. I'd stay Sunday night tbh because I'd like to not rush away like happened last time - probs be left on my tod again, but ho hum.

19. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    Well, if three shared each of the double rooms, that'd be £40 each. (It's £240 altogether).
    Two in/on a bed and one (or more if need be!) on the floor.

20. AHP-233

AHP-233 Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2006
    We have a guest bedroom in our basement (about 20 mins from G-Mex) if anyone is in difficulty.

21. VenHalcyon

VenHalcyon Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2005
    I feel quite guilty that I get to stay at my sister's for nowt and still go out and have fun!

22. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    People from the NE...I know I said I would ship you all down there again, but I may not be going to this event at present....Spike and Suzi - you may need to think on an alternate plan for cars to get there...sorry guys.

23. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Thanks for letting us know, Jase :D

24. nlindenj

Mar 5, 2006
    train from thornaby station 6.03am hits manchester at around 8.30am, then a taxi(£5) to hotel or gmex,thats how i'll be going

25. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    Thanks for letting us know Jase, it'll be a shame if you definatly can't make it [face_peace]
    I should be able to take the car, but will negotiate with (i.e. tell) my Dad that I want to borrow the car for that weekend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.