main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA Fireworks on Australia day-worth it or not??

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Ghost-of-Spider, Jan 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost-of-Spider

Ghost-of-Spider Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 30, 2000
    Need a bit of help, have not lived here for 4 years was thinking of going to the Skyshow is that a good or bad idea???

2. Grizzly

Grizzly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Muwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha it depends on whether the rest of the board turns up doesn't it?

3. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    Your going to hassle me about the convo on ICQ are you not?? Grandad!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I missed that convo so I'll have to settle for a serious answer. If you plan on going to the skyshow, either get there early, or arrange to be with others who are getting there early. I don't think it's worth it if you're sitting 50m back in the crowd. By early, I mean, early in the afternoon for a decent spot. Don't plan on leaving early. Sitting around chatting for a while is much better than getting stuck in the rush of people as soon as it finishes.
    I've been a little spoilt. For several years my Dad has had a nice corver office at the top of the AMP building. Watching it from there was great. Last year we watched it down on the shore and I didn't expect to enjoy it. I had memories of going as a teenager and being surrounded by loud, obnoxious drunken yobbos. I was surprised. I had a great time. I think getting there early and being part of a good groups is the key. Could be an Outer-Rim gathering perhaps. After all. The rest of us have got to meet you eventually! ;)
    BTW - when did you return to this username? I'm getting confused.

5. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    Sorry Soneil,
    I change names for no other reason than because I can(and it keeps my backups current, it's an old thing about the board crashing)however if you wish, when posting here I'll be Spider means no difference to me.

6. Loadeddog

Loadeddog Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    For those who are interested I will be driving the 21:00 287 from st George?s trc to Forrestfield and High Wycombe straight after the Skyworks that means if you live that way somewhere you can jump on my bus (yes I?ll give ya all a free ride ) and get out of the city fast

7. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    Free ride-don't worry I'll only tell about 200 close friends....;-)

8. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Personally I wouldn't go :p

9. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    Well I think it is worth it!! Every other year I have been on the foreshore, but this year I plan to be in Kings Park. I was up there one night (location scouting) ;) and the view is quite nice, especially at night! However we plan to get there real early to get the best spot (full panarama views) then play some cricket or throw the frisbee while we wait. Or atleast that is the plan! :)

The fireworks are also good to capture onto video, I plan on recording the lot so later I can composite them together to make explosions and the like for my fan film. :)

It does have more advantages then disadvantages I think your find!

10. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    hmm.. i'd have thought you'd want a lower camera position, so you wouldn't get all the background clutter, like the lights off the hills and stuff..... actually the place to be would be on a barge looking straight up..... altho how you'd go about conning Syd is anyones guess...

11. Pinback

Pinback Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2000
    Leesa and I have decided to give Skyshow a miss; last year was flat-out terrible; the display lasted 10 minutes at best, after about 45 minutes of blather from what passes for local radio personalities. Add to that the solid hour it took to find a park and the 40 minutes total walk to and from that park, the fact that every single late-comer decided to set up chairs directly in front of us as we sat on our humble little blanket. Then add the crowd's mad rush out at the end, totally oblivious to anyone who might still be seated, gleefully crushing food and garbage into the grass as far as the eye could see.

No, a good time was not had by all. Plus, I got no sensation whatsoever of the togetherness and national pride I thought would be inherent in Australia Day. I got the sense that people turned up to watch some quick fireworks before hitting the pubs.

12. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    My last experience was almost a copy but people brought the Pub with them and alot were in very high spirits.
    Never saw so many beer cans in a "non drinking area" LOL. I guess that is showing Aussie pride........One guy spent some of the evening throwing up-always fun to watch---not.

SWNZ-Unless you are a fantastic swimmer and can compete in the Olympics with your walking ability I think you have run out of time-but heck come over next year. :)

13. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Thats ok Pinback, it takes a tru blu Australian to sit with a mob of beer drinkin guzzlers and watch the fireworks on Australia Day. And why on hell did you drive, bad move, you should have caught the train or the bus.

Its okay, its still early days. Maybe you need a lesson in Australia Day sittin & drinkin! :)

14. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    All the stampedes and drunks were the reason I dreaded watching it on the shore. You never got any of that from a building. Last year I was surprised though. I think being with a big group made a difference. My family with nepphew and nieces etc. alone make quite a big group.
    I'm normally not too excited about it but I'd like to see this year's one. If I get accepted into the police academy in a couple of months then this is probably the last skyshow I'll get to see without wearing riot gear. Anyone else who wants to see it, let's make some plans on here and do it as a group. It's better that way.

15. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    You want to be a cop? Tough job, all the best to you with your application.

16. Jedi_Nat

Jedi_Nat Jedi Master star 5

Nov 28, 2000
    I personally wouldn't go. I've been twice, and didn't think much of it. Nah, u won't see me there this year. First you have to go early to get a good possie, and then afterwards, u have that long trek back to the car and fight the traffic to get out. In my case, it's a half hour walk to my friend's house and then crash the night!

17. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    I remember getting a room in the Sheraton in 91, that was weird looking down on the fireworks, but fun laughing at everyone trudging back to their cars afterwards... we just went to bed :)

18. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    Griz,
    You went to a hotel and payed??? I'm marking this down in my book...

19. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    when there's 6 paying for the room, it's pretty cheap :)

20. Loadeddog

Loadeddog Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    I was there too !

21. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    I wasn't! =)

22. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    With 6 in the room who had to sleep on the floor???

23. soneil

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm more worried about who shared the bed. Griz? LD?

24. Grizzly

Jul 22, 2000
    LD slept where all dogs sleep... on the floor. It was me and she who is now known as bitchfeatures, and 2 of her sisters and their husbands. As for other arrangements...

25. Ghost-of-Spider

Nov 30, 2000
    It's 2.30AM Griz but that makes 7??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.