main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    So for those of us who are Americans here, how has your 4th been so far?

2. Willy-Wonka-nobi

Willy-Wonka-nobi Jedi Master star 1

Feb 6, 2004
    I slept until noon

3. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    I'm probably in a smaller minority that preferred Die Hard 3 to 1&2 [face_laugh]
    I saw 3 first, then caught up, so there's that initial buzz, plus 3 just seems more accessible to me for repeated viewings, even though I think it's a bit too long. Don't get me wrong, I think the first one's mint (second one's kinda "meh" though), but something about Sam Jackson makes me want to watch that movie over and over again.

So yeah, looking forward to seeing DH4.0 :D

Doesn't Transformers open today in the US? Can't believe we've got to wait until the 27th in the UK. Thought they'd stopped that kind of thing years ago :rolleyes:

:)

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Canada Day is July 1st, so I've had a short work week. Long weekends always seem like a good idea at the start of the weekend, but then when you get back to work, Tuesday is like a double-plus ungood Monday.

I have low expectations for Transformers (Michael Bay), but it's supposed to at least look good, so I'll end up seeing it.

I can't remember the last film I saw on the bigscreen.

My wife and I have been watching "tv on DVD" like X-Files, Arrested Development, Battlestar Galactica.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Happy July 4th guys. :D

Have a good one. :)

6. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    I slept until noon as well, good stuff.

I'm boycotting the Transformers movie, maybe if they looked like actual Transformers and not banged up trash compactors I would go see it, but not with how bad they ended up looking.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I never liked Transformers as a kid. Couldn't get into that cartoon at all. I think HE-MAN was probably my favourite cartoon in that post Star Wars era.[face_thinking]

8. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    I was a fan of Transformers, He-Man, Voltron, C.O.P.S., and the SilverHawks, but I was probably a fan of G.I. Joe the most. Nothing, nothing beats Cobra Commander my friend.

9. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    Hope everyone had a great 4th. It was a rainout here, most of the fireworks shows got canceled and I wasn't feeling well anyway, so I contented myself with the Boston Pops show.

I was never that into Transformers, but I'll probably see the film once it hits DVD. He-man and She-ra were my favorites as a kid. I had tons of action figures from those two series, and maybe like two Transformers. :p

10. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Not much happened here on the 4th. ;)

The only old Transformers cartoons I've seen is the Beast Wars series. Ah, I used to love that as a kid. But other than that, I wasn't a fan, largely because I hadn't seen anything.

So I saw the film Transformers just recently. In fact, on the 28th of June. Finally a big blockbuster that arrives before the US gets it! Which is why I'm really surprised that you have to wait so long, Blackout. Is there a holiday then, or anything? Seems a bit... strange.

But back to the film: I loved it. And I found that it's the Autobots and Decepticons that steal the show. They look awesome. I'm surprised by Cell's comment, to be honest.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Bay's Transformers is really still pretty fun to watch as it has a good amount of humor, which I wasn't expecting as much of. But two things do hamper the movie:

1) The Decepticons, outside of Frenzy (whose portrayal as a total spaz is actually pretty enjoyable), are basicly just cameos in the movie, and, outside of Megatron's fight with Prime, have maybe 4 lines of dialogue. So, very little screen time combined with absolutely no scenes for their character development, combined with many being killed a scene after they first appear, is a hugely wasted opportunity, given that they had the most interesting personalities and relationships in the cartoon and comics. In this movie, they're not so much characters as simply danegrous objects for the Autobots and humans to shoot at. The Autobots are better represented, but we don't get a chance to know the characters much outside of the requirements of the plot. Jazz in particular should have had more development to help have some of the more dramatic events towards the end have more emotional resonance with the audience.

2) The robot designs, particularly the Decepticons, are terrible. Not only is the extra thousands of pieces they tacked on to them make the transformation process more of a jumbled blur of metal (as opposed to a cooler, more visually pleasing, and probably more realistic, less complex and more "designed" process), but the Decepticons all look almost the same and it seems most people have trouble telling them apart in the final battle, unable to tell who is attacking who, etc. Blackout, Brawl and Megatron (when he's not fighting Prime) are the main culprits. And if it wasn't for Blackout's rotors, you'd be unable to tell them apart even more of the time. Add to that they're just plain ugly and confusing to look at even when stationary and it's just a near-total failure on the aprt of the design teams. However, the Autobots fair better. They're distinguishable from one another, at least. And Prime is recognizable as Prime, same for Jazz. The others, not so much, though Bumblebee's design has grown on me. Ironhide might not have been so bad if he had been red instead of black (since he tends to fall into that whole "Decepticon visual confusion" problem with that black color scheme.

Also, on a more minor note, the human plotline with the hackers doesn't really go anywhere and should've been trimmed down or cut out the film to make room for some Decepticon scenes.

Butm the action (outside of the character confusion) is great, good dose of humor, and, I must say, the whole "descent of the Autobots" sequence (when they arrive) is quite majestic and is, by far, the best sequence in the whole movie. Feels like it's right out of a Spielberg movie.

Live Free or Die Hard I found to be just as enjoyable though, though in a more old-school action type way, instead of the carnage of a Bay film. It's at least as good, if not better than DH3, definitely better than 2 (since 2 felt like a retread and this one does not) but probably not as good as the first. Was pleasantly surprised that the daughter turned out to be a good character (since that had the potential to be a bad plot addition), especially with the constant frustration she kept causing the main villian ("Jesus Christ! Ya got her?" "yeah" "You sure? You don't need any help?" [face_laugh] )

12. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Geez, I was thinking Die Hard 4 was sounding un-ironically like Last Action Hero. [face_laugh]

13. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    No holiday or anything, I've no idea why there's a gap. Unless it's a marketing strategy to avoid a clash with Shrek3, DieHard 4 and Harry Potter5.

+ + +

lol, I'd forgotten until Quest mentioned it there that I've got the same username as a Decepticon. I feel like Elias in Clerks2 [face_laugh]

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [face_laugh] Nice to meet you, Decepticreep! ;)

The delay is mainly just because 4th of July weekend (in terms of a movie release 5-day or 6-day weekend) is one of the top two biggest weekends for a movie release. It also works with the whole "747" plane joke. Originally both TF and Die Hard had 4th of July staked out but Die Hard backed off and took last week so they could both get their chance to breathe and make cash instead of eating into each other.

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Everybody had a good weekend then?

I went fishing on Saturday, which is one of my favourite hobby's. :D

16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Fishing? Now that's something I haven't done for a long, long time. In fact, I've only ever done it once. :p

I caught a catfish.

I was at a mate's place on the weekend. He has a drum kit himself, so we were bashing out for hours on Sunday. Good stuff.

17. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Nice one.

My amazing wife bought me a Boss Micro BR Digital Recorder for my 30th birthday, and it's just fantastic. Very easy to record demos for songs I'm working on, very user-friendly and portable - don't even need a laptop. So I happily spent Friday night drinking wine and recording stuff while my wife was at a stagette. :cool:

18. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    WOW! Your wife's a very generous woman. [face_laugh]

19. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Ha ha, she's beginning to regret giving me the gift.

But now we're even, because I bought her a DS Lite for Xmas and she loves it - Super Mario Bros, Tetris, Brain Age.

20. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Is what Google Image's returns for Boss Micro BR Digital Recorder the item you have in your possession? Looks sweet, if so.

Also, have you played Brain Age? There's been a flurry of commercials on television here for the game just recently. It looks so... basic. Err, yeah.

21. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    I have Brain Age and it's one of my favorite games. The Sudoku puzzles are worth the price of the game alone.

Anyone catching a midnight showing of Harry Potter tonight?

22. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Brain Age is great - very simple mathematical/puzzle games, trying to test your concentration.

You want to get as close as possible to the ideal Brain Age, which is 21 or something.

It's great to test your friends - how quickly can they still multiply?

23. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    Fishing is great, it's so calming and relaxing, it's one of the few things my entire family can do together without some argument erupting.

24. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    That reminds me; G, were you out in a boat when you went fishing or on the shore? :D

Ah, Sudoku puzzles are included. No wonder people get hooked. :p

I suppose Brain Age sounds like a bit of fun when you put it that way. I think the advertising agent down here for it needs to be fired, though. ;)

25. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Regarding Transformers the movie, they should've just made it like the first movie.

Crappy effects, crappy sound and bad 80's music
    you've gotta believeeeeee as a slow motion plays of Optimus Prime turning into a truck.Plus where are the Dinosaur Transformers in the new movie? The ones that talk in third person?Thats where its at!

Beast wars was siiiiick. Kinda weird and unreleated but man, that rat was slick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.