main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Was this published directly from ILM/LF or from a secondary source? I recall LF at least pooh-poohed this idea when they created a little something for Vader in the very next film. :p

Since this was published at a time when even the first Han Solo Trilogy was far from being made and the only EU on the market were the comic adaptations of the first film along with the novelization, it's not strange that they would write that profile. This was also the same series of publication that hinted that the Star Destroyers in the film itself were the "big, Corellian ships", which obviously the EU didn't follow up on. Or that the corvette was an obsolete, fuel-burning vessel. Uhm, I seem to recall the EU didn't follow up on that cryptic statement, either.

One could even make the argument that the people who wrote Han Solo & Corporate Sector Handbook almost went against the current by giving the Invincible-class a larger size. Not to mention the Pelagia Star and the Rokak'k Baran, two ship designs that not only broke the size rule, but at least one of which broke this "can't be outgunned rule" also. ;)

Bottom line, I think my position is still preserved and well-justified.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Until The Essential Guide To Warfare, which dropped the hint that Corellian-built Star Destroyers were faster than any others.

EDIT:
    At the time of A New Hope. Executor wasn't complete until some time later.

"Paradise Press" in America and "Galaxy Publications" in Britain were the publishers.

3. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Which were still not the ones seen in the film, which was kinda my point.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually, one of those articles does refer, in passing, to the Corellian destroyer, in the context of the movie.

5. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Yes, which is what I was saying. The Star Destroyers in the film were implied to be the Corellian ships Han talked about. This wasn't followed up in the EU. Jason made them into a special Star Destroyer variant that was faster than any other Star Destroyer, not retconned them into being the ships we see in the film itself.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  7. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    No, it was Corellian-built Star Destroyers. No specific class.

Ah, wow, I didn't realize they referred to it as the ship at the beginning.

Which the EU never commented on further, so, thanks for helping me prove my point, I guess. :p

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Which means it's quite possible that the ship seen on screen is a Corellian-built Imperial Star Destroyer.

This endnote:
    http://jasonfry.tumblr.com/post/21728447315/eg-to-warfare-endnotes-pt-4

Manufacturer: Corellian Engineering:
    So that’s what Han meant when he boasted of outrunning “the big Corellian ships.” A hopefully satisfying little retcon that only took 35 years to be born.

seemed to me, to be saying simply that Corellian-built Star Destroyers were unusually fast. Did Jason say otherwise?

9. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    He said what I said above, what else?

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Would you mind linking to where Jason said this?

Which position would that be- that, during A New Hope, the Imperial-class ship was only a middle of the range fleet ship, with plenty of Imperial Fleet (as opposed to Kuati Home Fleet) ships larger and more heavily armed?

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The comment had always been taken to mean the ISDs - the impression I got was that Jason was reconciling the "Corellian" reference (and making even more sense as Solo showing a bit of Corellian pride as well).

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That's what I figured.

While I'm ok with there being (relatively few) ships in the fleet between ISD and Executor-class in size, it's interesting to see just how far back the notion of the ISD as "dreadnought" goes (the article calls it a heavy cruiser, but the pic says "dreadnought of the skies".)

13. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Could there be confusion between the ISD and the ISD 2, perhaps? Forgive, but I don't know when exactly the "Deuces" entered service.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that the magazines date from not long after ANH, I doubt the writer even knew about the ISD 2- since it only came into the setting when people noticed the differences between the Empire Strikes Back star destroyers, and the one in A New Hope.

15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    From the latest episode:

Anyone got an idea why landing on a planet would allow a ship to repair a coolant leak?

16. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm holding out hope that the ST will feature a few Executor-class Star Dreadnaughts.....=D=

17. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 19, 2003
    Because the Star Wars version of Pep Boys doesn't deliver?

18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Easy- you can't get access to it in space, and on a planet, gravity would cause any non gas coolant (see Zahn) lost to simply drip down where it could be collected in buckets (thank you Denning)

I really liked that episode- isn't that the first real battle where the Seppys win rather handily? Sure they didn't capture Kenobi's ship, but they did take out a task force of Venators, destroying at least one as well as a Consular gunship at a minimum, with no apparent full losses on their own side.

19. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    Except that I did not really get the point of the boarding. Was it just because Grevious was there? Did he know Kenobi was on board and wanted to fight him? Are the Separatists attempting to capture Republic ships?

Separatists do not seem to be in desperate need of captured warships.

Talk about a weakness. How easy is it to board a Venator-class star destroyer? That dorsal hangar makes it easy to launch starfighters, but just as easy to allow boarders when open...

20. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Of course, with those Droch boarding ships, any part of the ship is as good as another when it comes to boarding. They are also capable of closing that hangar, unlike most hangars in star wars (which always struck me as a bit silly. Why waste the energy maintaining some kind of field to keep in air when a door does the same job without being constantly maintained?)

Good...except the crew wasn't fixing the ship themselves. They were just going to land and "let the system reboot".

21. Tzizvvt78

Jun 12, 2009
    Didn't both you and me reference the exact same thing? He never said there were Imperial-class Star Destroyers, just Corellian-built ones. That's your claim. Though you did back up an actual reference to early EU that said the Devastator was Corellian-made. :cool:

As for Jason's reference, that could be Imperial-class or other designs. Funny enough, I think Assault at Selonia had Han mention Corellia used to make the largest Star Destroyer. Maybe the Secutor-class or something even bigger?

Yes. In fact, another pre-Dorling Kindersley, pre-EGTW source agrees with me, the novel Dark Forces: Soldier of the Empire. There's an off-hand reference to ships bigger than the Imperial-class in service with the Imperial Navy, at a pre-Battle of Yavin date. There's also a reference in the Death Star Technical Companion about Imperial-class and more advanced Star Destroyers having a special throne room for the Emperor fitted in, also implied to be in the era before the Battle of Yavin.

Thanks to the EGTW, there are "plenty" of ships, just not of each class, which is appropriate with how ship scales are inversely proportional to the amount of each model made.

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Have there been any pictures of the turbulent class SD yet?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So, it just dawned on me that if the Sequel Trilogy truly does end up being in the 30+/- ABY period, that we could in fact see an entirely new set of capital ships & starfighters for the new Republic (I intentionally use a lower case "n" to distinguish that this is presumably different from the EU's New Republic). If the Prequels are any indication, new starships & fighters give a new Trilogy it's own distinct "look".

On the other hand, the chance to show so many classic Original Trilogy vessels in CGI (to say nothing of how popular and iconic they are for generations of fans) make me wonder if we they will still be prominent, or at the very least used alongside new designs developed for the new ST.

And this is only discussing warships and fighters used by the sucessors to the Rebel Alliance. Given that we have zero idea of the status of the Empire in the Sequel Trilogy (other than that they were presumably beat after Endor), we might also see some new TIE or other iconic Imperial designs.

Thoughts?

--Adm. Nick

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Sure, the EU's been retconning things for a very long time. But it does show that initially, the ISD was intended to be second only to the Death Star in armament, at the time, "outgunning" everything else.

25. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I think it would be cool if the movie opened with a Star Destroyer like Episodes 3-6, but when camera turns we'd see that it's an old half-destroyed hulk. That would quickly show us that we are in the future, and that the Empire is not what it was, if it even exists anymore.