main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Force Ghost, Sith Power?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Sep 11, 2012.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I am watching RotS again and I had a question that hit me. Palpatine is telling Anakin about Darth Plagueis the Wise and how he could stop someone from dieing. Now, he doesnt go in to detail cause he wants Anakin to fill the blanks. But this some very close to what qui gon jinn leads to do. To become one with the force, live forever. Are the two things related or I am just reading to much in to the Darth Plagueis story. I am sure Palpatine is telling the truth or twisting it some. "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural" living forever as a "force" ghost could be seen as unnatural or powers of the dark side.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The parallels are brought up in the RoTS novel- the Sith desire for earthly immortality, the Jedi achievement of spiritual immortality.

And in the Darth Plagueis novel, we find out he wasn't lying- Plagueis really did stop ageing, and really did bring people back to life, and prevent them dying when they would otherwise have died.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    From a movie standpoint I like how it was left ambiguous, (take what you want from it)

as for Plagueis the novel, I don't count that as my personal canon

Alexrd likes this.
  4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I always wondered if Vader ever looked down at his suit and asked himself if living inside THAT thing was what Palpatine meant in the opera house.

kainee likes this.
  5. FuzzyWuzzy

FuzzyWuzzy Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    Iron_lord took the words right out of my mouth.

Not to mention any sith ghosties would be obnoxiously red, not blue.

It's not so much living forever as existing. I've always kind of assumed that if any jedi ghosties tried to do anything selfish or dark-sidey, they'd just cease to exist. Poof.

6. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Immortality, or living forever, eternal life, have 2 meanings to them. One is, from a religious perspective, the idea that your soul lives forever in peace, your soul with exist forever after you die. The 2nd meaning, is a person living forever, never physically dying, like what Voldemort wanted in Harry Potter.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Not sure what kind of immortality Palpatine talked about in the opera scene.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    #2.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Does that mean that Palpatine/Sidious/the Emperor would have lived for thousands and millions of years? Was he in imbalance in the force? The immortal Sith who would live forever, and the chosen one had to defeat him or else the galaxy would be in tyranny for all eternity, till the end of time? That's a theory I had. I'm just wondering if it's true or not, canon or not.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That might have been his plan, but unfortunately he never discovered Plagueis trick of bringing aging to a halt.

He ended up cloning himself, and possessing the clones (technically he can possess anyone, but it's safer to possess a clone.

Unfortunately, thanks to the Dark Side (and saboteurs) the clones aged much faster than he did. And he may (going by The Essential Atlas) have lost sanity in the process of transfer.

Eventually he ended up transferring into a Jedi, who died, with a firm grip on Palpatine's spirit, so taking Palpatine's spirit with him.

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    George Lucas said that Palpatine didn't get cloned in the film canon. It was a different canon

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that he was the one who insisted they use that in Dark Empire instead of Vader returning- it's a bit hypocritical of him to say it's not part of his canon.

SithStarSlayer and DarthBoba like this.
  13. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    yeah it was only after the whole prophecy thing in TPM that it wasn't considered really canon. I think Sith can live past death but it's in agony unlike the peace of being a true force ghost that the Jedi can be.

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    TPM's prophecy has nothing to do with DE being canonical or not.