main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Force throwing

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darkside_Princess, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkside_Princess

Darkside_Princess Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2003
    I don't know if this question has been asked and answered already but here goes:

In the movies, Sith use the force to throw objects at their opponents. I was wondering,instead of throwing objects AT the opponent, why not just throw the opponent instead? For example, Dooku throwing Yoda instead of throwing a metal object at him.

anyhow, just thought I would ask..

2. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I think Force pushing comes really close to this. :) But that would be cool. It's probably possible, although if it was against a Sith Lord, for instance, of course you would be fighting and using great amounts of Force technique at the same time. It it possible? For Yoda it probably is. He did move Luke's plane.

3. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    I think it's an ability that taxes one lessn to throw something instead of someone.

Maul throwing the box at the door release panel in TPM and Vader throwing the bits and pieces at Luke in ESB kind of shows it....it's a small move that's part of a bigger fight. Vader also throws his spinning saber at Luke when he's on the catwalk in RotJ and calls it back to his hand. Luke levitates C3P0 at the Ewok villiage and he seems pretty tired after that (being not quite as well trained as everyone else)

Also: didn't Dooku throw Anakin when he was using the Force Lightning in the Hangar duel in AotC? Anakin kind of flies across the room and into the wall....was that the lightning talking or what? ?[face_plain]

4. Darkside_Princess

Feb 24, 2003
    Yeah..I guess Dooku does throw him at the end of the fight. Sort of. But I always wondered why they just don't pick them up and actually throw them. Oh well, its still cool ;)

5. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I dont think Force pushes and pulls work on other Jedi, otherwise they would be pushing and pulling each other everywhere. In TPM Obi-Wan could be pushed away because he wasn't concentrating, he was just blind with rage, leaving himself open for such an attack.

This is EU, in the Jedi Knight games, Force push and pulls don't work on other Jedi unless the Jedi is doing something such as running or jumping.

6. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    We also saw Anakin do some Force throwing in the droid factory on Geonosis in AOTC.

7. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Yeah he was throwing those metal arm things at the geonosians and knocking them off the conveyer belt :)

8. SithLord-Will

SithLord-Will Jedi Master star 3

Mar 2, 2002
    I think its much easyer to move Inanimate objects because they can't use the force. True the force flows through everything (the rock the ground the plane) but the rock cannot use the force. If you were to attempt to throw a jedi in battle, most likely his own abilitys with the force would cancell it out, such as- Yoda blocking Dooku's lightning

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Good point...

10. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    As writing earlier I believe your pretty much describing Force Push sept you mean literally hurling the adversary. ;)Well since Jedi are adept at levitation it woukd be safe to say they could take measures to counter it.

Maybe young clumsy Padawan's that are less adept at being at a zenlike mental stasis during battle but wiser Masters can probably control this sort of thing telekenitcely. :)

<[-]> Saber

11. Darkside_Princess

Feb 24, 2003
    True..good point

12. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I think what Dooku did to Anakin is a great example of using the Force to "move" an opponent. He lifted Anakin off the ground and hurdled him oved to the left with the simple wave of his arm and force lightning simultaneously.

13. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Can You Use the Force to "Throw" Yourself.

IE; to Levitate or Fly?

14. __clairvoyant__

__clairvoyant__ Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2003
    The Force Jump is probably what you are talking about.The jedi/sith can levitate themselves when they re jumping.
    Like when Obi-wan or Luke does it when they are dueling...

For the main question, I think without a gap in a jedi's concentration, a sith would be unable to push him since they are both attuned with the force.One is telling the force to push the other one can control its outcome also...

15. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I've always wondered if a Jedi can levitate. See all of the other things they can do thru the force I bet they can.

16. Batty4btman

Batty4btman Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2002
    It would kinda give the whole duel a pansey show to it. It would end the battle very fast and not intense and thats not what GL is looking for. he wanted the jedi to be almost acrobatic

17. TheChosen1

TheChosen1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I think throwing stuff around with the force takes some concentration or focus. Vader looks like he's concentrating when he's throwing all that crap at Luke. I think they would get exhausted if they attempted to constantly throw each other during a fight while trying to anticipate the other guys's move at the same time.

Oh yeah, and Obi Wan DOES levitate himself out of that pit in the TPM remember? I guess it takes some focus so they don't do it all the time, and I also think that a Jedi could cancel out another guys power. Yoda blocked all of Dooku's powers and I'm sure niether of them would have gotten anywhere by using the force directly against each other. Also, Jedi don't really like to use the force to directly harm other living beings unlike Vader who runs around choking people. I remember Lucas saying that Vader didn't use the force on Obi Wan in ANH cuz Obi Wan could have blocked his powers with his mind. Ah, I'm just making excuses, but thats my take on it. I'd personally like to see somebody blocking a force push or force choke in Episode 3 just to show that it could be done and to satisfy my curiosity. I loved how Yoda absorbed the lightning and would like to see a little more of that stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.