main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC FOX News airs live suicide

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316, Sep 28, 2012.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I don't think it has anything to do with Fox, just really awful technical direction.

Though at the same time, I'm not surprised they were the only ones covering this as it's not news but just pure sensation.

This all said, Shepard Smith is awesome.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I was watching some of that chase (news said the guy was going over 90mph) but turned the TV off when Fox cut away to do a story on Syria so I didn't see the unfortunate ending. Heard about it on the news this morning though.

3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    90? That's it?

4. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    The man is no more! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet his maker! He's a stiff!
    Bereft of life, he rests in peace! His metabolic processes are now history!
    He's off the twig! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!
    THIS IS AN EX-PERSON!

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I guess I'm jaded. That footage was not that shocking. I mean, he raised a hand to his head and fell down. Why exactly was that something that just COULD NOT be shown on television? I see why his family might not be thrilled, but why would anyone just be traumatized from seeing that? Or am I just dead inside or something?

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  6. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I agree. The content wasn't that unsettling at all, but what it represented, watching a person end their life on live tv was.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think it's more just generally agreed upon news network policy that you don't show an actual death, live or otherwise. Cultural taboos about snuff films and all that.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Edit III: Okay, I don't even know what I'm saying and I'm afraid I'm just being insensitive because of a mood or something, so I'm just going to edit this all out.

9. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    The only thing I can think of is that the cameraman in the helicopter decided to focus on the body bleeding out.

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    What I want to know, is why didn't the cameraman cut away as soon as the guy raised the gun to his head. I mean that seems like a pretty good indication of what he was about to do.

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Cameraman's job is to cover this. I think it's more just that this stuff shouldn't be shown. It's the same as how the media won't show the footage from 9/11 of people jumping, really, or how the pictures of Chris Stevens after the attack seem to have been scrubbed. Rouge, I rather agree with you on not seeing why it's being treated as such a big deal.

heels1785 and DarthTunick like this.
  12. cipe

cipe Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2012
    It wasn't live for long, was it?

13. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Fox shouldn't get criticized for this, as it has been done before. The whole industry is guilty of it either by showing an actual shooting, showing a sheet over a body, or probing victims with dumb questions. Something like this actually should be shown for the many likeminded crooks to see just where their way of life can lead. They think carjacking or robbing someone isn't a big deal, and that they will get away with it, or they can handle a shootout "going out like a soldier" with police, but they will likely just panic and do what they didn't think about doing when they woke up that day.

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm pretty sre I have seen no less than 3 Shepard Smith hosted car chases. He always says they do not wish to see peopled harmed and those in control would take advantage of delay. But he loves them and loves covering them.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I didn't know news still routinely covered car chases-- hell, I thought police mostly didn't do them anymore because statistically they tend to cause more harm than simply letting the person get away. Though it looks like they probably had a justifiable reason to think this guy was an imminent threat.