main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Galaxies: General Chat, Discussion, Information plus Q&A's

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Insane Anakin, Jun 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    I can email pics to you, J for the interior and exteriors of houses, critters, POIs, no problem, but my screencaps are way too large to post here (and I have no idea how to do it anyway)...

I have been playing for two years now, survived the CU and the NGE and still have things I want to do in game, ex-guildies begging me to come to EQ2 aside... I'll go eventually... but while I have quests to run and swoop races to win, (and houses to deco) I'll be in Freedom's Peak on Talus (Starsider), doing my thing.

Value for money... for one account, the monthly fee is 15. if you go with the longer term payments you save money in the long run. I've found it definitely worth my money: I can play as much or as little as I'd like, I have lots to do, I can explore all the proifessions, locations, situations and quests I want... there is no "winning" or "losing" there's just playing the game, making friends, and being somewhere other than work or home for an hour or so a day.

*Derisa*

(aka Aerys'; Oshorym; Soulei; Janys)

2. BountyHuntersRule

BountyHuntersRule Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2006
    hmm ok i might get it then :) out of interest, is there a max amount of characters you can have at one time? cos ive been on several mmorpg's and most say only 1 or DEATH ...

3. Smuggler_4_Life

Smuggler_4_Life Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 22, 2005
    You can have up to 2 characters per server, with a max of 8 total (across all servers) per account.

4. BountyHuntersRule

BountyHuntersRule Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2006
    thanks for that :)

5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Hey guys can anybody tell me...
    Just got Galaxies Complete Online Adventures with a month's subscription...

But I can't login. Do I still need to whip out my credit card and subscribe for another month?

6. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    You need to put your credit info in, but it won't charge your account till your month is up.

7. bluenote421

bluenote421 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2006
    hey guys. I love star wars and I love mmorpgs. Is galaxies worth my time and money. mostly my money is what concerns me. I hear after they updated some things its pretty lame, but im fuzzy on the details. yea or nay?

8. darth_grievous1

darth_grievous1 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2004
    There are a couple projects about that are creating emulators for the game that set it back to it's pre-CU updates that will play on emulated servers. I'd read reviews firsth, though. I got the trial and I wasn't able to play off of the starting location (a space station).

9. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

Jul 31, 2000
    The game is definitely worth it if you are a fan of the milieu, but whatever you do, don't expect the game environs to be anything like the stated time period (just after the destruction of the first Death Star)... because it simply isn't. Best to just see it as a AU of the published milieu: same locations, same mythos but very different histories. It's fun and for the amount of time you can spend there, it's remarkably cheap entertainment.

As for the pre-CU servers thing: I will believe it when I see it (moreover, I would buy it: I had just started my fourth tier of the Doctor prof when the CU came in: I crafted some buff packs, and the next day they were meaningless. I would love to be able to experience all the trials and tribulations the Elders bitch about, pre-publish 9, even.) As to why you can't play from the starting point (the space station) ... um, that was added as part of the NGE release. It wasn't in game before November 05.

If this is a trial of a pre-CU game, you would start on one of the main planets (Tat, Corellia or Naboo: these were the newb options before the CU.) I started on Naboo. Very pretty planet. :)

After the CU you were unceremoniously dumped on Tat, in Mos Eisley, which led to major lag issues in that locale, as there wasn't really a tutorial to help newbs along, so they spent a *lot* of time in and around Mos Eisley. (But it was great for our vendors...)

The NGE's newb tutorial on Tansarii Point Station allowed players to get a handle on the game controls and combat system without lagging the hell outta the Mos Eisely environs, and the introduction of the Legacy quest helped move them out of the Mos Eisely area and further and further afield. eventually it takes them to Naboo, then Corellia and Talus, leaving them at the point where they can wander around to other planets and find other quests to level with. Any pre-NGE server will not have that content, just keep that in mind.

Other things an ealier publish server may have as "features": ten minute wait for shuttles from anywhere to anywhere; no mounts, no vehicles; the holo-grind of prof after porf as you try to find out your toon's key to Force sensitivity... :)

The game is as it is, for better or worse. I still have to defeat HK, and whatever else they throw at us after Mustafar, and besides, my 11 year old just started up, so I'll be around a while yet.

As long as there are Imp bases to bust...

:)

*Derisa*

10. Smuggler_4_Life

Aug 22, 2005
    There's a new 14-day trial out on the official site, that I believe gives you access to everything, even beyond the Tansarii station tutorial. Supposedly you can roll that directly into a full fledged account should you decide to stay after your initial 2-week stint.

Since a brand new player won't have the same expectations that us crusty veterans always grumble about, I think you'll find it to be a really fun game for a while. There's plenty for a newbie to do! :0)

11. SithedMyPants

SithedMyPants Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2004
    Plus, helping new players gives the old vets something to do, as well.

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Frankly, the availability of Force sensitivity at all, let alone right off the bat, is enough to turn me away from SWG.

E_S

13. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    Can someone give me a general breakdown of where SWG is right now?

I unsubbed autumn 2005 having played for 2 years. I left in the run up to the Obi-Wan trials as the game had shifted just too far from the one I first immersed myself in.

I heard it became a FPS and Jedi was now a starting profession. Can anyone give me a synopsis of what it's become?

14. SpaceMonkey10

SpaceMonkey10 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 2, 2006
    If you are expecting a cool Star Wars experience, do not get it. As far as it being an OK game where you can insert Star Wars themes then go right ahead.

15. Smuggler_4_Life

Aug 22, 2005
    It's really one of those things where whatever you get out of it is directly proportional to what you put into it. If you approach it actively looking for a "Star Warsy" kind of experience.... chances are, you'll find it.

One of the great things about the game is that there's a lot of room for different kinds of play styles. Whether you enjoy PvP, PvE, flight sim, RP.... or some combination of it all.... there's a lot of wiggle room.

With that said, if you're a continuity purist, there are some things (like an abundance of jedi in the Original Trilogy timeline) that are a little hard to stomach. Again, if it's something that bothers you, you can try to avoid it or disregard it when it pops up (personally, I like to curl up into the fetal position with my fingers in my ears and scream LALALALALALALA over and over.... but that's my way of dealing with most of life's stressors). Best I can say to anyone who is curious about it is to try the free trial and see if you like it.

16. Darklord07

Darklord07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2005
    I've started playing again. It's been about a month since I've last played but I accidentally clicked on the icon and remembered how fun it was, so I decided to subscribe for at least a month. I'm still doing the stupid irritating quests for Jabba. Maybe I'll find time to play more later.

17. Smuggler_4_Life

Aug 22, 2005
    Chapter Five is Alive!

Highlights include:

Reintroduction of camp kits with new, customizable modules
    Newly craftable items like starship parts and droidekas
    A new reverse engineering system which allows traders to pull stat mods from looted items
    New entertainer build-a-buff system
    Combat abilities for entertainers
    New songs, dances, and a new instrument

Many have considered this Chapter the make-or-break update for SWG. Anybody have any thoughts on it so far?

18. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
    Now traders can fight! Where can factory crates be found?

19. Smuggler_4_Life

Aug 22, 2005
    Hmmm.... no feedback on Chapter 5, huh?

I have to say, I LOVE the fact that you can now have stat mods applied to whatever clothing and armor you wish. I can finally wear what I want and still be viable in combat! :0)

20. DARKMETHOD

DARKMETHOD Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2004
    has anyone read any updates if SWG will come to the xb360 or PS3? i know SWG runs off of Sony online so more likely for the ps3. has any one heard any news?
    i'm not a PC gamer but love star wars and feel i am missing out on this game!

thank you,

21. lkavadas

lkavadas Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2007
    SOE has stated a million times SWG will never be ported to console.

As for those of you who are sitting on the fence about the game, don't. Just don't. Just wait for the EMU to be released around end of summer and start there. SWG in it's current rendition is not worth your time unless you just want to play a crappy, buggy, content lacking version of WoW.

22. Darklord07

Aug 4, 2005
    I disagree. I play, and I have a great time. There needs to be more people on my server, but it's all good.
    Met some awesome people, too. The only problems I have is the slight lagging here and there.

23. DARKMETHOD

DARKMETHOD Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2004
    i think sony should retract that they will not port it. the ps3 needs all the help it can get. so how many SW's fans are there that would play off of a PS3, i'm one! and they need to move ps3's cause they are not selling like they thought it would. SWG would help abit in this area :)

just my 2

24. Darklord07

Aug 4, 2005

Lol, I definitely wouldn't buy a PlayStation 3 just to play Galaxies.
    Maybe Sony'll get a break.

25. Smuggler_4_Life

Aug 22, 2005
    I don't think the EMU will ever get off the ground. Seems that they've made some slight progress, but I would be highly surprised to see a sustainable version of the EMU game that would be a hit with consumers. The only people who would commit to playing the EMU are the hardcore vets that left when the NGE hit, and my guess is that they're all so engrossed with WoW now, they're probably not going to want to step back into the SWG realm. Maybe I'm wrong.... hey, if they were able to make a stable EMU I might even be willing to try it for myself out of curiosity. I don't think I'd give up the actual SWG for it, though.

As for putting SWG on consoles, that rumor has been going around since the original XBOX and PS2 days and has been continually denied. Besides, given the troubled history of SWG, I don't think it would help at all to move PS3's, especially considering you could buy a low-end computer for $600 that would run the PC version decently.

On a side note, is anyone excited about the proposed beast mastery expertise that they're working on reintroducing with Chapter 6? The removal of Creature Handler produced one of the largest outcries from the playerbase back in 2005, so I'm wondering how many people are happy with this proposed new content...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.