main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gamer #6, Infinities, and Canon

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TT2000, Aug 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    DL...
    "Oh, jee whiz, like this isn't what I have been repeating to deaf ears for more than a year now?"

I know how you feel, I've been repeating certain aspects of it to deaf ears for more than a decade now. :D

2. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    We should all go into the episode 2 and 3 board and let them in on the new canon status of the EU, i bet that Chyren will hate that.

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    I did, in a couple of threads. I'm basically one of the handful of EU underdogs in PSA, firing off a bit of proof or throwing a defensive deflector shield around certain stories, then I flash back into hyperspace.

Actually, Chyren is somewhat open-minded about the EU. He has some of the books, and brought up a point from the TPM Visual Dictionary recently. There's far far worse in there though...

You know how I feel in there sometimes? Like Jacen and Jaina when they ran off and walked around the underworld of Coruscant. You see a lot of freaks and mutations...People twisted by hideous forces...

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Issue #6

well, whoever said it was supposed to be an issue based on Tales of the Jedi,their behind the scenes source was wrong. well, maybe a tales of the jedi issue is a future planned issue.

5. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Only one story in issue six? grrrr

6. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    I'm still waiting for it to apear in my mailbox. And what, it comes to stores next week?

7. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    "We could be stuck here for a very long time, Master."

You could be waiting by your mailbox for a very long time, Wedge. I got mine about 2 weeks ago.

8. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    I know. I got my #5 late too. I had called WotC to tell them I hadn't recieved it and it was way past the date they shipped to subscribers.

So they said they'd send me one, the one must not have shipped or it was lost. But its going to take 2 weeks for it to arrive! So I got off the phone with an angry grunt.

Then the next day my "lost" one comes. And then the next day the issue is found in stores. GRR. But I got two copies of it.

9. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I ordered back issues of Gamer 1 and 2 at the SW Fan Club Store and they arrived the same day as Gamer 6. Three new mags to absorb that day. :)

10. Wedge 88

Jul 16, 1999
    Heh.

Guess what? I saw Gamer 6 in the comic store today. Damn, I'm pissed.

11. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Back to the original topic: The policy was further expanded upon in a few specific cases a little while ago (as you probably already knew), in a "Sansweet" starwars.com answer that wasn't actually by Sansweet:

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20010817.html

And as to Gamer #6, you can find reviews of each issue of Gamer over at Cinescape Star Wars, that cover the individual stories. The one for #6 is here:

http://www.cinescape.com/24/editorial.asp?aff_id=24&this_cat=News&action=page&obj_id=29113

12. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Hey Nathan! I haven't seen you post at the Lit forum in a while!

Anyway, there are also reviews of basically all the other Wizards of the Coast products along with the Gamer mags. Check 'em out.

13. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Hey, Andrew. Yeah, I got REALLY bored waiting or Allie to get out of her PoliSci class today and decided to hit one of the computer labs on campus. Since I didn't have much Email and the Fan Films board was slow, I figured I'd take a shot at doing some posting over here for a while.

And, yeah, there are reviews for everything but Secrets of Tatooine, the Rebellion Era Sourcebook, and the Core Rulebook right now, and I'm going to work on the Core Rulebook one soon enough. I can't do SoT or the RES ones until I get my hands on copies. I used a copy of the RES at work long enough to get random events for the SWT-G9, but I really didn't have time to give it a thorough review at that point.

But, hey, if I ever get my hands on copies long enough to review them, I'll try to make sure it's a complete library of reviews.

14. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    Well, it's good to see you back here again. The realm of continuity is where you're most comfortable. :)

So far, the ones you've already reviewed are very thorough and don't miss a detail. I agree, Gamer #6 sounds like it's waaaay too small. I mean, just one piece of fiction? That's quite disappointing,

15. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Yeah, Gamer #6 was somewhat disappointing. Personally, I subscribed mainly for the materials I could read and put on the SWT-G, and now they're moving farther and farther away from fiction and adventures and more into, well, crap (okay, just stuff I personally don't find as interesting), I'm starting to get disappointed in the series.

But, then again, Gamer #5 was incredible, so maybe that'll be the new standard and #6 was just a hiccup of lower quality.

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Issue #7, is supposed to be NJO related, maybe it'll have more interesting stuff.

17. Panamon Kriel

Panamon Kriel Jedi Youngling

Feb 6, 1999
    Who are the Dark Horse characters mentioned in gamer 6?

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Well characters from Tales, and Underworld. NO infinities icon to be seen so it's completly exists as part of the timeline,(for good or bad, your decision)going by the rules established in the back of the magazine(only articles to be seen as infinities will be marked as infinities, which includes only those articles marked by infinnities in issue 4(which was only the lurdo comics. Everything else in issue 4 is part of continuity)). give me a sec to list them off.

19. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Rooty, Nima Maas, Embra the Hutt, Moff Harsh, Lieutenant Harme Kiela, Sintas, and Sardu Sallowe.

20. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    I too, don't find anything to do with the CCG or setting up scenes interesting. You're right; only the things that have to do with history are interesting and important to the SWG. C'mon, who wants to have a rehash of the Battle of Hoth?

21. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Well, I wouldn't go THAT far. I'm not so much against the other stuff as I am pro-fiction and pro-adventures, but it seems that while they aren't expanding much into the other sections except making the normal amount of stories longer, they're sucking that space out of the adventures and fiction.

22. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    I just got Gamer #6 today, and was encouraged to see the Tales characters in there with no Infinities icon in sight. I agree that there should be more fiction, and more entries such as the article on the Nikto, and the bounties that were posted. All of the in-universe articles and fiction interest me very much. The articles about the RPG and CCG, giving instructions on how to play, seem dull to me because I don't know what the heck it means. I really enjoyed the story about the band, as I have been interested in the idea of Star Wars bands and music scene for a long time. It was nice to see the different styles mentioned and that there was some dissention between different types of music lovers. A good touch, Kathy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.