main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga George Lucas retiring from SW films (What does this mean for the future of SW?)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by fistofan1, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    That's absolutely ridiculous.

2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Fantastic. =D=

3. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    LOL IRL

4. Shepherd492

Shepherd492 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2011
    Star Wars will live on, to some capacity, even when George dies...it is timeless, and we will continue to see books and comics and probably even the occasional game or TV series.

What troubles me is that somebody would try to make more star wars movies- a 7, 8, 9 or what have you. I have as many problems with the prequels as anybody, but they still had their moments, and, though unnecessary and somewhat terrible in places, I appreciate them for 1.) the fantastic visual and art design/sound effects/music and 2.) all the great star wars products (anything published or produced from about 1998-present exists at least partially due to the prequels) that spawned because of them.

When GL dies and there is still a 7, 8, and 9 to be made, I do fear that some money grubbing idiot will get a hold of the SW property and make three godawful movies to conclude the saga, like what happened to Frank Herbert's Dune. Nothing could be as bad as that, but the idea of a sequel trilogy being directed by someone who isn't GL, and likely someone who is completely incompetent, is a sobering one.

So I hope that GL doesn't kill the Star Wars brand with his death- there are too many stories to be told in the "minor" formats for that to be good- but I hope that he either decides to make 7, 8, and 9, or does prevent those movies from being made in his will. It would be a shame to see what happened to Dune happen to Star Wars...

5. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    I doubt very much that would happen. GL will probably leave the rights to Star Wars to his children, and if he felt strongly enough about it, could even leave a clause in his will that no more live-action SW movies following the events of the saga will ever get made. Or maybe he'll trust them to do what's best for the franchise.

6. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    When George is gone, I think Star Wars should go with him. No more movies, no more comics, no more games, no more novels, no more TV shows. Let Lucasfilm sell Star Wars toys and rerelease the films on new formats as and when they appear but there should be no new story content.

That day is hopefully a long way off though. In the meantime, if Lucas has any more Star Wars stories he'd like to tell, I'm all for it. Heck, maybe Lucasfilm could do what Warner Brothers are doing with their DC animated films and make some animated films based around Lucas' ideas or different EU stories. A KOTOR animated feature, a Shadows of the Empire film. These would be straight to video (with possible premieres on TV) and it would give EU fans a chance to see some of their favourite stories brought to life. If Lucas has some original ideas that he doesn't want to spend 10 years working on, a process similar to how he works on Clone Wars could be great.

I don't want to see any theatrical live action films that aren't from George. While it would be interesting to see other creative people do their take on Star Wars, I think animation is the perfect arena for that. Live action cinema should be the realm of "the saga" only.

7. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Let lucas decide in some written form. Star wars must never die but the main saga is complete.

8. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    Although Lucas has his property better protected than anything else I've ever encountered, it seems possible that he might have a change of heart if one of his kids showed a talent for producing SW. So you never know. He's said all along that when he dies SW goes with him, but he's been known to change his mind.

For me, SW without The Maker even there to say "yea" or "nay" to ideas....just isn't SW.

9. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    I think that games, comics, and novels would be a great way to keep Star Wars alive in our culture, or at least geek culture. Kids are going to be discovering the films all of the time. They might be inspired to enter entertainment because of Star Wars or have a really cool idea for a story. Star Wars video games are a heck of a lot of fun, and I'd hate to see them die out as game technology continues to evolve. The Jedi, the Sith, the Force, the Old and New Republics, the Empire, the Rebellion, the Clone Wars, a galaxy with hundreds, possibly thousands, of planetary systems that have been interacting for millenniums. There is so much to explore in the mythology that Lucas created. Some theorize that our universe is infinitely expanding. I think the Expanded Universe should do the same. [face_peace]

Amen! I agree with everything here, especially the part. I can't imagine anything that would live up to the Skywalker saga or do justice to Lucas' particular style and sensibilities. I think Star Wars can find a lucrative and engaging home in novels, TV shows, and animation. I wouldn't be opposed to a live action series, even if Lucas wasn't involved, but the theatrical films are pretty well over.

10. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    The reason I want the EU to end when Lucas is gone is because I fear what could happen without Lucas to oversee it. As it stands, Lucas barely regards the EU, considering it to be an alternate universe rather than an expansion of his own creation and with that we've had the Emperor come back to life, we've had conflicts that dwarf the Skywalker Saga, making the Clone Wars and Rebellion seem almost insignificant, we've had the Galactic Empire return on numerous occasions even though they were supposed to be defeated at the end of Jedi. Luke even turned to the Dark Side for Yoda's sake. All of this with Lucas around. Imagine what would happen if he wasn't around. We could end up with Anakin's Jedi spirit going into a new clone body only to turn to the Dark Side all over again, Boba Fett communing with the spirit of Canderous Ordo, the Emperor coming back yet again, this time inhabiting the body of a Gungan...

11. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    But you forgot he's the one responsible for the some of the most ridiculous storylines. Lucas was the one who wanted the Emperor clone in Dark Jedi, and the ressurected Maul storyline in The Clone Wars. And Anakin having a Padawan.

12. DarthWuher

DarthWuher Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 15, 2010
    I agree on the Emperor clone. Maul coming back is up in the air, for me, as I haven't seen how they are doing it. But Anakins padawan isn't that far fetched. After all Obi-wan had a padawan the day he made Knighthood.

13. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    Actually, I've read that it was never confirmed if that idea came from Lucas personally (Palpatine being cloned).

14. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    We need a film that takes place during the formation of the Republic with the Jedi Order defeating the Sith and the Mandalorians.

15. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    the only way they could make more films if it was CLEAR that it was a spinoff film, which would not impede on the main SAGA.

The clone wars was hardly a movie, more like two or three episodes cobbled together as a pilot.

I like having only 1 saga with a unified vision. Much more cohesive and enjoyable.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'd be happy to see SW continue on with new material in any format other than new theatrical release or live-action movies. The Saga is complete with six episodes and should be left alone (with the exception of special theatrical re-releases and new home format re-releases in the future), and no new movies should be made. But other than that I'm fine with new material (and new toys, etc.) as long as it all continues to acknowledge the six film Saga as the ultimate storyline and source of information within the SW universe.

17. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sep 22, 2010
    I've never heard that Lucas came up with the DE storyline, I think you're wrong on that one point.

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    let supershadow do it. ha ha ha!

19. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    You know what would amuse me to no end? If it turned out that SuperShadow was in fact initiated by GL, just to tick us off.

SuperShadow - his name is George
    /LM

DarthBoba likes this.
  20. Drewton

Jan 8, 2009
    You're probably right; my memory is bad. Lucas gave the comic to every LucasArts employee for Christmas, and said the story was closest to his idea for a sequel trilogy, but it seems like he never actually said it was his idea.

I always thought GL ran the site. [face_laugh]

21. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sep 22, 2010
    Where on earth did you hear that???

22. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    He heard it from his own joking mind. As in, it's a joke.

[face_laugh]

23. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    What shanerjedi said ;)

Fans - they say stuff
    /LM

24. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sep 22, 2010
    I definitely missed a beat there!

25. Black Sun 4 Life

Black Sun 4 Life Jedi Youngling

Sep 8, 2012
    I hope GL will leave the franchise to Filoni. Anyway who care about not allowing Live Action. Animated SW movies would sell too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.