main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation George Lucas says "I don't really have much to do."

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 3, 2012.

1. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I always thought that Obi-Ewan would be the Han Solo of the prequels. He was, but as a Jedi....you cannot go too far....

But as a Jedi, detective Obi-Wan is a bit roguish....I like that

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Your last sentence said something about "generation", which I assume was in response to my attempt to type "generalization" and typing "generation" instead in my prior post. (My bad. I'm tired and fighting a cold.)

Yes, we both see things through our life glasses, but that's hardly the same as making a statement such as "Anakin could 'never' get a girl" or "Padme would 'never' be attracted to Anakin."

Your later statement "Anakin was simply not a guy that a girl would fall for"--you are again assuming that all girls fall for the same type of guy. It may not feel right to you, but that's hardly the same as "all girls are cookie cutter creatures who all fall for the same type of guy".

I believed the romance, for a number of reasons. Summed up, Anakin remembered an important woman who was kind to him and saw him as a person and not a slave (which no person of any importance on Tatooine had ever done), who sympathized with him when he was separated from his mother (which no other character in TPM seemed to do) and who seemed eager or at least willing to renew their friendship in AOTC. Padme saw a man who had believed she was a handmaiden when they first met and who she knew would have loved her just as much if she really were just a handmaiden; he was the only person in her life outside her family who seemed to care for her outside her role as Queen or Senator. And based on the Varykino scenes, she enjoyed his company.

I'm probably not going to convince you, you're not going to convince me that it wasn't credible, so we can leave this at "different viewpoints." My main dispute with what you posted was the argument that "all females think [insert opinion here]."

3. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    well...it's a forum....and it's about opinions.......I think that the romance is not credible....and I know that men or women can fall in love for far less reasons than the ones in AOTC....and the scenes described in your reply are evidence number 1-2-3-4 of why I did not fall for that romance...

As portrayed in AOTC....I don't find it credible......and if I had a friend....man or woman...falling in love so easily for so little....(as portrayed in AOTC)....I would be worried for that friend....since it doesn't feel right.....that's my observation.......culled from a lot of experiences in life....

It's space opera....so I understand the rules......the romance took some shortcuts....(as portrayed in AOTC)....i cannot believe it....and among my TOP ten movie ever...you will find Casablanca, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset and Lost in Translation.........

That's it...

4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    One thing I never hear people bring up is the fact that Anakin was taken as a Padawan by Qui-Gon first. Sure it was never official, but Qui-Gon told Anakin to be mindful of him, not Obi-Wan. So Obi-Wan agreed to train Anakin at the bequest of a dying Qui-Gon; knowing that Anakin was dangerous and shouldn't be trained. To young, impressionable Anakin, Qui-Gon must have instantly seemed like a father figure, whereas Obi-Wan would never reach that status, merely as a brother.

The defacto father to Anakin after Qui-Gon died . . . Palpatine.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Just a fly in the ointment, the monkey in the wrench...

6. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I think what we will see with Lucas and Disney is they will search for his approval however if Disney wants Luke to have a kid, they will tell Lucas, Skywalker kid, what is his name? If Lucas locks up, people within Lucas film like Pablo Hildago will come out of the woodwork and be like, Uh Luke already has a kid in the books, his name is ben. ObiWan Skywalker? No! Ben Skywalker. Oh ok. Mr Lucas are you ok with Ben Sykwalker? George will say something but once he realizes that it is happening, he may try to give him input. However I do not mean to say that all of it will go for the EU. If George says he wants Chewie, Disney will say ok that makes sense. And in turn the EU will write Chewie back to life.

Lucas is given an honary title and his name will probably be the first name seen in the credits... Created by George Lucas. But he sold his epic to a company that wants profits of his vision. And unless you can find the contract where it sas that George Lucas will get final say for the Sequel Trilogy, I think we will see him get upset over one thing or another.

7. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Not to mention, I think Purists are about to create a new form of canon probably above EU canon but below George Canon, making D canon as Disney canon, which beats EU but doesnt break George canon, even if George says I didn't like that plot. G canon purists will say that Disney's film didn't adhere to Georges vision and therefore is not true canon.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    anakinfansince1983... I don't have to mince words -why should I?

Anakin was a weird unit. Padme would have felt uncomfortable around him (Hell -she even said that) He was not likeable at all. The romance in this film was not believable...

We are ALL stwarwars fans here but some of us see things exactly how they are. I will not blindly defend things that can't be defended!

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    My problem with the romance was that it was badly done, not that it was unconvincing. I mean, it was to an extent.

10. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I have definitely come to hate the word "canon".

krtmd likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Avnar: What are you talking about? I'm not following how "don't claim to speak for all fans and definitely don't claim to speak for every female in the world" constitutes asking you to "mince words".

I don't like mayonnaise; does that mean mayonnaise is objectively unlike able?

I don't mince words either, which is why I'll maintain that promoting one's own viewpoint as absolute indisputable fact is arrogant behavior.

Is it not possible for you to simply own your opinion that the romance didn't work without having to argue that the bandwagon agrees? Does an opinion become more valid when more people share it? I say no.

I don't care whether people like the romance or not, but I will protest the insistence in using stereotypes/putting people into categories and boxes to corroborate their points. Human beings can't be boxed.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    All points of view in art can be defended. You may not agree with those points and views, but art is subjective. The romance in AOTC might have worked enough for someone to suspend their disbelief. It might not have worked enough to do so.

But, we are all fans here of films called Star Wars so let's not be so stark. This is not Col. Travis drawing a line in the sand at The Alamo.

This is a forum discussing all things Star Wars.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    n' stuff...