main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ghost Rider & Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Son of the Suns, May 23, 2006.

1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I picked up the extended version at Best Buy today and it came with a free copy of The Ghost Rider Visial Guide that traces the character's full history back to the 70's when he was created. It's hardcover and almost 130 pages. It seems to be fully complete. The only difference between this and other Visual Guides is the size of the book. This one being only about the size of a DVD case but a bit wider. When they rang it up at the register the SRP came up as over $30. Pretty good deal if you ask me!

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    how is the extended version of the movie? what are the differences?

3. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I just started watching this. My impressions so far are that the story is close enough to the comics to be good enough. Nicholas Cage is too droopy looking and I'm not buying the wig. Eva Mendes needs to be more nekkid.

I hope to see the rest during lunch tomorrow.

4. JEDI_MISFIT138

JEDI_MISFIT138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    It's frustrating to watch at times because some parts they really nail it and then other parts are just plain awful. It could've been great. It's still cheesy fun though, like some of the other lesser Marvel films so it's definitely worth buying. I'm gonna watch the disc with the features tonight. I only saw this once in the theater so I can't really tell how much is new in the extended cut.

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    People were stealing these left and right at work. Damn you Self-CHECKOUT

6. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    Great banner. Who made this?

7. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    This is gabe's GR banner. :cool:

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Spirit of Vengeance Trailer

Looks a lot better so far...and while I've never even considered the mechanics of that last scene...once it is seen, it cannot be unseen...

9. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    You know... I'd love them to just drop Nic Cage and Johnny Blaze all together and go with Danny Ketch, who was actually a better Ghost Rider anyway. Danny Ketch was the Spirit of Vengeance when they actually told good stories. Heck, they are already using more from the Ketch era than from the origin Blaze run anyway.

10. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I agree. Ketch was a way more interesting character, a better GR, and yelling at others that he was not ZAarantos (or whatever).

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I will probably skip this, but I did like the image of Nicholas Cage peeing flames.

[face_laugh]

12. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Trailer is kinda annoying. Herky jerky flashes. And what's with the director guys at the beginning? damn, the average comicon attendee seems less geeky.

Yeah, this is a "wait for DVD" project.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    SOV comes out this weekend. I have moderate hopes for it- the duo behind the Crank movies did this one, and I absolitely love how crazy those films are. Not sure how well that'l translate to GR, but we'll see I guess (but peeing fire is a start [face_laugh]) .

Reagrdessl, Cage made a guest appearance on SNL last week, in a hilarious segment with his impersonator.

"It's the quintessential Nicholas Cgae flick."
    "In that all the dialogue is either whispered or screamed."

[face_laugh]

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance- Well, that was fun. Not great, mind you, but fun. It's no surprise that it's significantly better than the original film (which wouldn't be too hard, really). It's a reboot similar to Hulk vs Incredible Hulk, just with the same actor in the lead- we get a new version of the origin in a brief sequence early on and move onto the new story.

It's a very dichotic film... half of it is a pretty decent B-movie action horror flick that has discarded the western trappings of the first film with east European locations that provide more appropriate settings.

The other half has the insane humor stylings of Crank and Crank 2 that also plays up Nick Cage's quirks to amusing effect, with rapid intercuts of craziness and random backstory interludes (both similar to the ones in Crank).

That strange sense of humor actually does make the film as it is somewhat unique for a superhero film- although I kinda wish they had restrained themselves and attempted a straight action/horror film, because the horror elements are actually handled quite well, especially The Rider himself.

The small touches like The Rider swaying (as if to music) give him a very creepy ghost story/spirit vibe that is very effective and could have been quite scary if the surrounding movie had taken a more serious tone to it's execution.

The use of some of his powers are quite neat as well (him transforming whatever he's riding, for instance).

The 3D is quite good too. Support cast works well too (except for that Decay guy, whose powers lead to great, creepy visuals but who is too out of place in comic tone). Danny is not annoying and the mother is not the walking cliche I had feared from that awful "my kid's the one good thing i ever did" cliched line in the trailer. And, yes, that is Christopher Lambert.

It does pull it punch slightly on one account, though- we never see The Rider killing someone he shouldn't, which is something we're warned about, but there's no payoff to that. I was really hoping the film would have had the balls to have him kill the girl at the end when they finally come face to face without Danny to stand in his way.

So, while not the insane greatness of Crank 2, it's not supposed to be, so that's kind a good thing. It's better than the uneven Gamer and far better than the first GR movie and the other Marvel Knights film, Punisher: War Zone. Though still decidedly a B-movie somewhere below Daredevil and the Thomas Jane Punisher.