main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Memph, TN Girlz rule!

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Jedi Trace, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Last Saturday, the Commercial Appeal ran this ad looking for Bakugan players, claiming that it's the hottest thing for 6-12 yr-old boys this season. Tim promptly emailed them and said that we have 6-12 yr-old girl Bakugan players and they sent a photographer out to interview Emma and Rachel and take pics. :D

Here's Emma setting up her collection:
    [image=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/traci1012/bakugan1.jpg]

[image=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/traci1012/bakugan2.jpg]

The CA photographer taking pics of them playing:
    [image=http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c143/traci1012/bakugan3.jpg]

Girl power, FTW!!! [:D]

2. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    I'm seriously beginning to question my coolness. Not only did I have to click the link to find out what Bakugan was...but then I had to Google FTW. *sigh*

3. Qui-Gon Tim

Qui-Gon Tim Memphis, TN FanForce Chapter Rep star 5

Apr 1, 2000
    Don't worry, Steve. I had to have both explained to me, too.

If it's Japanese, has a funny name, and involves jacked-up looking creatures and cards, my Emma is totally into it. She'll probably marry a Japanese poker dealer named "Totokhan" who breeds hairless ferrets or something.

4. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    [face_laugh]

I had to look it up, too. [face_blush] I assumed it was some weird distant cousin of Pokemon or something...

5. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    More like Pokemon ripoff, just like Digimon.

6. JD Jedi

JD Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2000
    Regardless....... that's a pretty cool looking dragon!

One of mine is an absolute expert in World of Warcraft - putting an end to the myth of only 40-year-old-virgin-guys playing it.

7. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    He should be glad it wasn't Pokemon. He'd still be in our kitchen listening to her talk, cuz that girl is all about her some Pokemon. [face_laugh]

The photographer made the mistake of asking Emma how the game is played and she gave him a 10 minute inservice on all things Bakugan, including a description of each piece/card's attributes.

Tim and I were impressed that she knew the word "attributes." :cool:

The guy was trying to get them playing in action shots and kept saying "pretend like I'm not here and just play," but they were both really nervous and not giving him the shot he wanted. Finally, after the fourth time he said it (impatiently, I might add), Rachel held her finger up as they were gathering pieces and said, "We are! We've just got to get our stuff."

(If I was a good Southern mom, I'd have reprimanded her for being sassy, but he wasn't nice and totally had it coming. :p)

8. JD Jedi

Feb 21, 2000
    =D= Top Stuff!! =D=

In a 'Girlz Rule!' moment of my own......

Our eldest got the award for top of her year (7) at secondary school ('Dux of the Class' in English-like-speak) ahead of 175 other kids.

Woo-Hoo!!

I haven't stopped grinning since last night. She didn't let go of the award so we could put it on the wall for about four hours!
    :D :D :D :D :D

<EDIT>
    From Wikipedia:

In schools in Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Iceland, Dux is a modern title given to the top student in academic and sporting achievement (Dux Litterarum and Dux Ludorum respectively) in each graduating year. In this usage, Dux is similar to the American concept of a valedictorian. The runner up may be given the title Proxime Accessit (meaning "he came next") or Semidux.

9. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Congrats, JD!! The only Dux we have around here are the Peabody Dux... I mean Ducks.

So it's a global Girlz Rule! Schweeeeeeet!

10. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    You guys act like this girlz ruling thing is a new thing. [face_talk_hand]

:p

11. JD Jedi

Feb 21, 2000
    Along the same lines ...........

In the to-ing and fro-ings of department changes and retirements, my boss is now a lady.

She's damn good and just about THE most organised person I know - but that's beside the point.

My eldest just recently found out and reacted with the comment "Ooooooh, getting told what to do by a FEMALE!!!"

I just shrugged and replied "No different to any other day - is it?"

12. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    [face_laugh]

Give your daughter a high-five from me for her award, JD! That's awesome! =D=

13. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
  14. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    So what they really wanted was to do an in depth advertisement. :p

Still, awesome for Emma and Rachel. Hopefully they are bragging at school today.

15. Steja_Palex

Steja_Palex Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Did I miss something or was there no mention of Emma and Rachel in the entire article other than the photo caption? Boy, Rachel must've really pissed off the CA photog. :p

16. Qui-Gon Tim

Apr 1, 2000
    Nope, that was it.

Oh, well... At least they got the picture in there.

I think the photographer was expecting a much more animated game. He's never seen the gamers at MSC, I guess. I'm not sure if some of those guys there are breathing.

17. StarBlazerM31

StarBlazerM31 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Awesome kudos to the girls, but I must keep my opinion of Bakugan to myself. *notes the uncanny resemblance to both Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh* Plus Toys R Us doesn't help.

LOL I remember being the only girl who played Yu-Gi-Oh! for a while. The little boys feared me. [face_devil]

-Darth Grace [face_skull]

18. Clark_W_Griswold

Clark_W_Griswold Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2001
    Yeah, when I saw the online article where they were looking for 6-12 year old boys who play Bakugan, I said, "Oh, nuh-uh... Not tonight..." and I emailed the reporter about Emma and Rachel.

I think it's a Pokemon ripoff, too, Grace. There are so many now that it's hard to keep up.

19. Dork-Vader

Dork-Vader Star Wars Sketch Card Artist star 4 VIP

May 14, 2003
    [image=http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w293/bu****ales/IMG_5860.jpg]

Rachel had to show me the article when we stopped by the other night. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.