main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Golden Days of the Jedicouncil

Discussion in 'Communications' started by chitwood, Oct 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of Kenobi

Son of Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 1998
    It's good to see you posting again regularly, Lil Wookie, you've been missed. :)

I like Pyrus' idea, actually. The Council began as a SW-only discussion forum and blossomed out from there. The Gonks, after all, were born in the Prequel forum! You really would get rid of a lot of the crap-posters. Yes, it's an extreme idea ... I'm not totally in favor of the age-specific forum. I don't think it will make much of a difference, in the long run.

2. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I ultimatly don't think having two forums would work. I think over time it would create a lot of division amongst the members. Yes, it might work for ahile concerning community, but consider the other forums. Like P(SA). I mean, look at the division that stars created, now we would have people who could look down on others because they were considered more mature (for whatever reason) and then everything we went through with stars is right back again. Only this time, its not: "I know more then you because I have 5 stars," but its: "I know more then you because I'm more mature, and this board tells me that is so."

Yes, they would then be kicked out of the forum, but the damage would be done.

3. Lil Wookie

Lil Wookie Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Man, I am rude. Son of Kenobi gave me such a nice compliment (good to see you to) and here I am disagreein' with him.

I don't know if I speak for others, but i can talk about Star Wars for only so long. Sorry for the blaspheme, but there is only so much I can say about the movies, specially since I am staying mostly spoiler free for Ep. II. Yeah, its cool how Wedge is in all three movies. Yeah, Lukes scream in ESB was goofy....so....how about those <insert name of local sports team>.

My point is that I originally came in for SW, but the reason I stayed was because of some of the OT dicussions in the community forum. We used to get some great debates about politics and religion and whatever in those forums. I know if you got rid of community, I would have no reason to return once in a while.

4. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    So is this what we are asking for:

a "mature / adult" forum where discussion of a serious nature can be discussed without the threat of it being locked immediatley. Covering issues that are deemed controversial to post in the JCC. And a platform for more mature issues to be discussed without being swamped by "humour" threads.

an open to all policy to said forum but with strict rules for those posting in it.

severe penalties to those who abuse the forum.

This may entice more adult posters to return and/or halt an exidous of present "mature" members who feel unable to talk about certain subjects. The open to all policy would not isolate any "faction" (for the want of another word) of the JC and therefore curb any negativity which may arise from the creation of the forum.

Nothing new here I know, just a mini recap of sorts.

5. Lott_Dod

Lott_Dod Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2001
    I agree that a mature environment is needed, but I wouldn't use the term "adult." There are numerous teenagers here that have no problem handling mature discussions (i.e. politics). It seems like the head staff here is trying to purge this forum of any topic that has the potential to cause divisiveness, when in actuality many people could easily handle it. Is the head staff going to "sanitize" the forums in order to be accommodating to a few immature teenagers, driving off more mature members?

6. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    yeah i have a feeling naming a forum Adults Only would serve as a challenge perhaps, or create unreal expectations, better call it Mature or Humble extra'z House

7. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Naming it "Adults Only" will never make it. I'd say, "Mature Discussion" and then rename the JCC as "General Discussion." It creates a similarity in naming, and doesn't muck around with "adults only" innuendos.

The Administration does seem to cater to a younger audience, guiding the conversation through topic bans and censorship. They don't want to rile LucasFilm, even though this place - as a more mature forum - wouldn't threaten them or go against their grain. The Administration does want a more sanitizd forum, a place they can show to any age and not have them balk at it. Unfortunately, that does alienate those who want to discuss Star Wars and more mature topics in tandem.

Hm.

8. Lil Wookie

Lil Wookie Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    The impression I got when I was an admin is that they do not cater to children....they cater to the parents of children. The ones with lawyers and such.

9. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    We're a few steps ahead of you guys. :)

Vertical

10. AlienAcidMKII

AlienAcidMKII Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 28, 2001
    If we could get a nudie forum this place would be so much better :D

11. Hathor

Hathor Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 28, 1998
    AJA, there's still the problem of younger people being just as frustrated with the lack of seriousness as older people. So you have an 18 and above forum, but what does that accomplish for the 17 year old member who's been here 3 years and is desperately seeking some intellectual debating as well.
    I was 15 when I joined the forums. By 16 I was an administrator (which usually displays some degree of rationality). Paradox was 14/15 when he first became an adminisrator If we had this separation back then would we have been denied access to that forum? I left the forums long before I turned 18. I'm sure there's others who've done the same. The solution the mods are hammering out needs to address everyone, not just the 'adults'

12. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    It does.

Vertical

13. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    LIsten to Vertical, you must. ;)

--Mr. P

14. Force of Nature

Force of Nature Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 1999
    And listen to Hathor you should. ;)

15. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I think talking like Yoda just promotes the problem...

Maturity is not shackled to age, but they do go hand in hand. It's all about life experience. But, that is real life maturity, not false internet maturity. The facades we manage here often bely our true natures. Anyway.

16. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    Hey, you'd be hard pushed to find anything more mature than Yoda.

Vert speaks the truth.

17. mutley

mutley Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 1998
    I've been here for awhile and I like the difference of the older and younger crowd, it's scary how intelligent some 15 year olds are.

You need us old people LOL to try and help, and the younger people to keep the board moving.

It's a hard thing to find balance, but once AOTC is released this place will go down hill just like last time, which is why a strong team of Mods/Admin staff is needed.

This place took a huge hit during TPM and it took over 9 months to get some sort of level ground back. I would hope that round 2 will see a win for those that post here now, so that people will stay and those that are not here for anything other than trouble will get the message to leave very quickly.

Bring back Jasman, or at least someone who will make a stance, make it well known and stick by it.(heck maybe the whole staff could do it)This is not a public forum and people sign rules to be here. You can control without banning, you just have to know how.

18. Captain Antilles

Captain Antilles Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 26, 1998
    If Hathor & Lil Wookie get VIP colors, I want them too :p

And I think the whole idea of a mature discussion vs. immature discussion forum is ridiculous. The JC is not the only message board on the internet you know. You shouldn't expect 1 board to be all things to all people. If the JC doesn't meet your needs anymore, go somewhere else.

19. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I don't think the problem is that we don't allow 'mature' discussion. The Community forum allows it (outside of religion, mind you, but let's leave that aside for the moment), but it doesn't foster it. A serious thread in community struggles to develop from being constantly pushed to the second page from other, more trivial (yet perfectly legit) threads.

The JC *allows* mature discussion, it just doesn't really have a good place for it.

Vertical

20. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    "We're a few steps ahead of you guys".

"Listen to Vertical, you must".

Now I'm intrigued. I hope the admin/mods aren't teasing.....

21. Hung Solo

Hung Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 6, 1998
    *** Irrelevant, and trolling. Hung, if you have an issue, by all means, PM me and we can talk about it. I'm not trying to 'censor' you or anything, but I think your post was trolling for a reaction. You'll likely see it differently, but I'm just trying to do my job here. PM me if you have any other questions, OK? ***

22. anya Skywalker

anya Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2000
    I'm getting my hopes high about a forum for more mature discussion... Maybe I shouldn't, but all these hintings...
    Well a person can dream, right? :)

23. Captain Antilles

Captain Antilles Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 26, 1998
    Thanks for the upgrade, Vert. Now I feel important! Very Important.

24. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Wow! It's great to see a lot of my old gang here! (Guilty as charged, Lil Wookie!) :)
    This topic title was bound to attract all us oldbies! If the goal is to recapture the "golden age" of the JC, I'll try to be around to do my part!

"Weesa doin oursa part!"

25. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Holy jasman! I suppose the new Golden Age has begun!

Vertical

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.