main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Grade the Episode: S05E16: Lawless

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Feb 6, 2013.

?

How would you grade this episode?

1. 10/10

61.0%
  2. 9/10

17.1%
  3. 8/10

12.4%
  4. 7/10

4.8%
  5. 6/10

1.0%
  6. 5/10

1.9%
  7. 4/10

1.0%
  8. 3/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/10

1.0%
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    You guys know the drill.

Poll results are available by clicking on the number of votes next to each score.

That being said, we'd still prefer you to post with your score and what you liked and disliked

2. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    The Lawless:

+Brilliant opening
    +Dialogue between Satine and Bo
    +Return of the Academy gang
    +Jedi Council scene
    +Obi-Wan's entrance
    +The elevator sequence
    +Landing of Twilight - so intense!
    +Conversation between Maul and Obi-Wan
    +Oh Satine, you made my cry
    +The "Always" really got to me as a "Harry Potter" fan
    +The Emperor arriving with JW music!
    +Obi-Wan's expression at the violence
    +THAT FIGHT!
    +Savage's death scene
    +The fight in front of the mural depicting Mandalorians fighting the Jedi was oddly quite fitting

There has to be an extended version of this episode...

10/10. This episode really got the emotions out in me. One of the series' best.​

3. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    8/10. The odd continuity issues aside, this was a very well done episode that shows what the show is capable of when it uses its runtime wisely and creates a situation that the audience can be emotionally invested in. I've been waiting for a proper payoff to the Mandalorians since Season 2, and I finally got it. Mauldalore was not as large a problem as I anticipated, the New Mandalorians are on the decline, and we finally get a lightsaber battle that doesn't look like total ass.

It neatly ties up a number of plots that have just been dragging for years now, while still leaving the Mandalorians open for more stories in the future. The nightsister plot comes to a close with the death of Savage, finally liberating characters from being dragged down by it.

Essentially, this episode is the equivalent of cleaning house, taking care of the crappy threads that have been left dangling and finally letting us move on.

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    The few nitpicks were so nitpicky (multiple rescue Satine/landing pad/recapture - wash and repeat) that I gave it a 10/10.

The animation/music/emotions in Satine's death scene was about as perfect as possible - they really sold Obi-Wan's emotions through his face and eyes, not dialogue.

Obi-Wan standing before the city, ablaze, seeing the downfall of everything Satine had strived for. Peace had fled.

5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Finally, the right thread.

I really don't see what was so great about this one. Even the duel was eh. About the only thing I really liked was Savage's death.

6. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Different tastes for different folks. To me it was fast without being too rushed like the episode before, it had drama, it had characterization, it had action but not to excess (balanced with that beautiful slow-seeming death scene), it had all sorts of emotions (quiet grief, regret, cackling evil, an "oh ****" moment from Maul...)

7. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    After the shaky cam mess that was Maul and Pre's fight, I appreciated the flowing movement of this one. Would have liked it more if sidious had just used the one saber and more force powers than dueling, but it was well choreographed, and finally seeing one half of the canonball wrecker be brought down was a satisfying conclusion.

Inblackestnight likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    7/10. A good, solid episode, I only docked points because there were some questions that I felt were unanswered, such as how anyone other than Anakin knew that Obi-Wan and Satine had been romantically involved, and I also thought that character omniscience, i.e. Obi-Wan knowing that Satine and Bo-Katan were sisters, was over the top. And while some ANH references are nice, no point in using them all the damn time.

Positives: Sidious was deliciously creepy, the duel was fantastic, and even when they cut inexplicably from the duel to Mandos blowing up, well, everything...that part was cool.

Bo-Katan is ****ing awesome. Come on, TCW writers, bring her back. Over and over again.

Satine's death was sad. Poor, poor Obi-Wan. :( And Savage...oh...my...god... :_|:_| I've been seeing him surrounded by that green mist and Maul standing over him and saying "Brother" in that sad voice, over and over since I watched the episode.

Well done, TCW. You've almost redeemed yourself from that travesty that we'll call Season 5 Episode 15.

9. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Actually, one other thing I liked: Sidious' lightsabers sounded cool. They had a much deeper hum.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  10. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Great continuity nods, best character interplay of the series, super dark, balanced with decent campy humor, and feels like it carries some weight for the future. This isn't over but this arc which I think is the best since the Rako Hardeen arc (and probably better) ends with a bang in a good way. Add in some emotional deaths and well done fight scenes including a climatic final battle. 10/10, loved this episode. Its one of the best episodes TCW has put out. Poor Obi-wan. I like all the scenes in this one.

11. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    anakinfansince1983: Actually, it's easily explained how Maul figured it out from what Viszla said to him: "The Duchess has powerful allies...including your Jedi friend Kenobi." (Page 62)

Not just the Jedi, but one Jedi, Kenobi. Besides that explicit dialogue, there may have been more in-depth conversation not shown in the book.

12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    11/10, the only time if I could I would go higher than 10.

This was the greatest episode of the show The Clone Wars.

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Definitely in my top five greatest episodes ever, it had great action, a great story, an AMAZING duel and an overall amazing episode. 10/10 for me :D

14. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm sure Qui-Gon knew. And I didn't really take that much from Vizsla's comment. "Ally" doesn't mean "love interest."

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    No, it doesn't. But he was singled out, Maul hates Obi-Wan, I'm sure he asked a few follow-up questions not in the book...

17. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, I'd like to see a director's cut if it exists.

AkashKedavra_93 and Valairy Scot like this.
  18. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    DAN OUTTA DAN.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I started wondering about this in the previous episode, but after thinking it was a major plot-hole at first I later decided I was making too much of it. It's never said that Darth Maul or Pre Vizsla know about Obi-Wan and Satine's romantic history. In Eminence, Vizsla tells Maul that his main foe on Mandalore has a Jedi friend who protects her named Kenobi. He knows that from the S2 Mandalore arc. That's really all Maul needs to know to construct his plan, it works just as well if they're good friends or lovers, either way she's perfect bait.

Seerow and Valairy Scot like this.
  20. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    10/10
    Closest to a perfect episode as it pretty much gets. Matter of fact IMO the only negative is that this episode shows the limitations of a 22 min. show. Can't wait for the blu-ray release which will hopefully have that missing Anakin and Obi-wan scene.

21. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Hadn't even thought of that - it's easy to forget that Satine and Kenobi's relationship isn't public knowledge, just because the viewer knows.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  22. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    10/10 Best episode of the series.

23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    JackG Like I said, it was throwing me for a loop at first too, I'm just glad I was able to explain it unlike some of my issues with Eminence.

JackG likes this.
  24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    10/10 awesome episode

25. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    5/10, would've been 10/10 if Sidious had killed Maul.