main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Great sadness....

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by red-dwarf, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red-dwarf

red-dwarf Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 22, 2009
    It is with sadness (if you are a collector you'll understand what I mean) that I have decided to get out of vintage collecting.

A large tax bill helped me make this decision, and it was getting expensive.....and knowing me, it was gonna get more expensive. Sansweet took out a 2nd mortgage....I wasn't going to do that but I had my eye on stuff that would have been uncomfortable to justify.

Anyway, I have sold all my vintage carded , including 21 back Boba!!!! All my Kenner vehicles, and my die-casts.

Not just Star wars...all my carded Indiana Jones and some Ghostbusters stuff.

Out of interest I can list all the sale prices on them so you have an idea of values. If that will help anyone let me know and I'll do it.

I didn't offer anything for sale to you friends, as I needed to get as much as I could, which of course meant eBay.

So, in thew last month I have sold off toys totalling about $7000. What I am left with is modern stuff and of course the movies.
    I have become calm about the whole thing, and have discovered that the ownership of the items was not bringing me any greater Star wars pleasure, in fact I was becoming stressed about what to get next.... justifying the cost.... and protecting what I already had.
    It has been an interesting journey. 11 years of collecting. Now.....back to the movies!! I'd forgotten about them....

2. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Always a tough call but all collectors come to this cross-roads at some point. But like you said you have the movies and really that's what matters in the end.

3. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    That is a tough decision to make, Vinny. I know exactly how you feel. I'm in the process of whittling down my collection a bit (it's somewhat eclectic as I bought pretty much whatever I fancied!). But like Dooks' said - every collector goes thru this. Sometimes several times! Your fandom shouldn't be quantified by what you own though - but by your love of the saga [face_love]

The items I collected weren't all that valuable - and I'm donating much of it to the Children's Hospital and for raffles (to raise money for our Light the Night Walk event).

4. red-dwarf

red-dwarf Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 22, 2009
    Thanks for your kind words.

I have kept a few nice loosies that display well, as well as other bits and bobs.

I now feel strangely calm about it all......very Buddhist!!!!
    thanks
    Vinny

5. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, at least congrats that you got rid of so much so easily! Bet that was a load of stress taken off you!

6. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Thats one of the main reasons I don't collect a lot of things. Just mainly my dvd's and such.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.