main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Gulf Coast trajedy

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Aug 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Well the banner is almost done, hope it is acceptable, I just wanted to get the exact wording down, in what order do you want the title? right now I have it as

Tucson
    Two Suns Fan Force

I left it kind of generic so we could use it at other events, but if you wanted me to add the charity its not problem.

also who DOES NOT OWN A COSTUME OR STAR WARS T SHIRT?
    let me know because it would be a sinch to print up some more for a t shirt for this event.
    Oh and has anyone tried the Dune Sea Garrison of the 501st for a tropper or two?http://www.az501st.com/

2. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    the banner sounds fine.. I think only possibly we could put quotation marks around two suns perhaps. I happen to love the idea of printing up some t shirt iron ons if that is a possibility.

Which brings to mind a new consequence for me.. my costume is Shaak Ti.. I love my costume.. but it is very bulky and I do not see how I can effectively do all I need to do on Monday with my headpiece.. it falls if I even move around much at all.. more for looks than usability.. anyone think I would look odd in Shaak Ti's clothing.. and not the makeup and headpiece..??

3. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I have indeed attempted to get the stormtroopers.. problem is.. I can't post without finishing up my email they are supposed to have sent me hours ago.. and I am still waiting... which means really short notice for them.. when I do finally get the confirmation email.

4. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    this is what I attempted to send them if anyone else is already an approved member perhaps they can put the request in for us.

Hi
    My name is Cathie...I am the CR for the Tucson "two suns" FF. On this Monday, Labor Day we are holding a Katrina victims relief fund/non-perishables drive at a local bookstore.. we have been searching for a stormtrooper or two to possibly join us to assist in drawing people in for donations. Many of us will be in our own costumes.. but admittedly most of us are Jedi.. I have a feeling more people will want to see Imperial stormtrooper costumes as they are the most exciting.. knowing this is short notice.. but we are trying to strike while the iron is hot.. so to speak.. a fund drive will bring in so much more right now when it is fresh in everyone's minds.. I am hoping your group might be of assistance to us. Please let me know if anyone is available to help us this monday from noon till 4pm.

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    tragedy... funny.. I went to type tragedy.. and suddenly realized I kept :rolleyes: misspelling it trajedy... woe is me

6. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    dialswiftjustice, if we get the Vader costume I think that if you are willing it would be great if you could wear it.

IMHO, I don't think Lown's would be willing to part with the costume. I also think that if they are willing to rent it for us without cost to them that we (read I'm volunteering) should offer to put a credit card down to make sure it is returned.

A docking station is a good idea. The only thing is the paper for it? What kind does it take, etc. Perhaps Jones could donate that?

Also, if we upload the pics to the photobucket account, people can pull the pics themselves and even order them from photobucket IIRC.

7. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    It would be worse if you were spelling it traJEDI ;)

OK, I've just sent an email to the owner of theforce.net asking if he could put in a link to the Red Cross on tf.n main. [face_praying]

8. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    we have the Daily Star giving us a blurb in the paper.. most likly tomorrow or day after... also ch 11 has contacted me and said they will do their best to put in an appearance.. waiting for more responses at the moment.. but that is where we stand so far!!

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I have now sent out emails to over twenty radio stations.. umm five tv stations and of course the papers.. getting results is slow.. but forthcoming.. hurrah for us.. we make get some donations rolling in on monday. [face_praying]

10. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I am on the way right now to the tucson red cross office to pick up jugs and reciepts and sign the waiver that promises we are non-profit and working on a charitable event that we will collect nothing from for ourselves.

hope everyone else is doing well with their endeavors.

11. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Well, as Cathie knows, I went to Lowns to give them the letter, and I looked at th4e Vader costume. It's horrible. Its totally made, no accuracy whatsoever and even the helmet was misssing the front tusks. I then went to Creative to see if they had anything better and even though it was a bit better it still looked awful. Looks like to research was done ont hem at all. The Lown stromtrooper costume has no armor, its all one padded bodysuit. I was so dissapointed in it, my wife and I are making our own! Even thoguh it will be the poor mans version, it will be more accurate than these, and yes we will have it done in time.

I will handle all the paper, ink , and camer stuff. I can provide it all with no problem.

I am going to get the banner done tonight, my vader cape and start ont he shirt and pants, the only things Im lissing are the shoulder armor and shin gaurds, which I have ideas for anyway.

12. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    okay.. our name is on the dotted line with the Red Cross. Felt very official signing that piece of paper. We are most definitely committed now. So here's hoping we start hearing from everyone.. this is what I know of who will be in attendance..

Myself
    DarkLadyJada
    DialSwiftJustice
    Hal
    my fiance
    a friend I used to work with
    and here I stop.. I know of a few others that were planning on attending the originally planned meeting.. but have not heard from them since we opted for the disaster relief event. Here's hoping we get word from them.

13. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    DSJ your going to be burning midnight oil all week.. I'll be joining you at my home doing things as well.. I am having a problem getting the guts to ask my GM at work if they might provide a few sandwiches for us on Monday.. thinking I will run by Krispy Kreme tomorrow morning and ask if they might give us a few donuts.. they amazingly enough have given my fiance and I a few dozen free donuts on a few occasions simply because we go there every sunday morning.. I'll let you know how this part goes.. if getting us some food donated fails.. ideas please.. about all I can afford right now is grilled cheese and peanut butter and jelly and kool-aid if I have to feed all of us.. and we will need food if we are busy.. that and beverages.. though admittedly bookman's has offered us water and coffee.. which is wonderful in my opinion. I have considered calling a beverage co and seeing if they would want to set up a booth outside bookman's for people to get drinks at.. not sure if anyone would do that on such short notice though. Again.. keep the ideas coming.. as long as I have ideas.. I will keep plugging away at the phone and email and forums!!

any ideas at all let me know.. I will take the plunge in the morning and ask my GM if they will provide us with a few meals.. so say a prayer for me to have courage at around 7am.[face_praying]

14. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    this is the updated worldcare.org non-perishables list. Important that we definitely get the word out about these items if we can.. and I am checking with World Care as to what to do if we receive donations that are not on the list.. I would assume just turn them in to World Care anyway.

Basic First Aid Adhesive Bandages (Assorted Sizes), Adhesive Cloth Tape, Antibiotic Ointment/creams, Antiseptic soap or Wipe Packets, Alcohol preps, Aspirin and Non-Aspirin, Non-Latex Sterile Gloves (Size Medium & Large), 3? Roller Bandage, Sterile Gauze Pads 2x2, 3x3 or 4x4, medical wound glue, liquid adhesive ("New Skin"), vitamins, diarrhea and stomach remedies, antihistamines, antifungal creams, stool softeners

hygiene Supplies toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, comb, antibacterial soaps, waterless soaps, feminine products, baby diapers and wipes

Emergency Supplies blankets, work gloves, duct tape, packing tape, boxes, can openers

food water, MREs (meals ready to eat), tarps

pet supplies dry food for cats and dogs, kitty litter, use or new leashes, collars, carriers

15. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    my god.. these people need supplies so desperately.. all over mississippi and Lousiana..not sure where alabama stands right now.. but this situation is ripping my heart out.. people begging for the United States to bring them food... I just saw the govt has approved an emergency fund for assistance.. but gosh.. what about the ones that are starving now.. I wish right now I could load up my car and just go.. not much good that would do.. but this is such a catastrophic event... how is it that by now the US was already in place in Sri Lanka.. and here our own people are still waiting??? someone explain this to me. goodness knows I need sleep.. I got up after three hours of sleep this morning after work.. and now.. it is just too upsetting to sleep. I know we are doing all we can.. but oh my.. I am so saddened that for many of these people help is going to arrive too late.. there are dead people lying in streets.. that have died from exposure and dehydration. How can anyone walk away from this.

sorry ya'll.. this is just tearing me apart to see all of this happening.:_|

16. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    OK, I am going to PM and email the AZ501st and see if I can get some help here for us.

17. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    is that the DSG group DSJ and I have posted on the dune sea garrison today.. but not with much success.. I am so saddened that it appears so many people are just sitting around watching the tv and not doing anything proactive..

I hope you are very successful DLJ

18. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    some where DSJ I missed what you said about contacting eegee's and basha's for food... I can do that in the morning as far as basha's goes.. as for eegee's will have to wait till around ten am for that one.. but that is an awesome idea as well. You work tomorrow.. so get your rest.. and I will contact the food places.. it will help me with my social anxiety to do it anyway.

I am thinking I should say we will have about 15 people to feed.. thinking if bookman's employee's assist us..

funny and ridiculous.. I couldn't sleep.. I did finally fall asleep and the phone rang.. that was it for me.. I am winding up going in to work on three hours sleep today.. but I will get cut from the floor early in the morning.. around 4am at the latest hopefully.. and I will sleep until 7am or 8am and then go active again

right now I am getting ready for work.. everyone take care and I will update tomorrow.

19. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    so the dune sea garrison is saying they need places to send their troopers.. they have bodies to send to charity drives and no where to send them.. but apparently they do not want to go anywhere other than metro phoenix.. I have emailed this marajen and posted on a different thread in hopes of getting their assistance.

20. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    I don't know if Dunesea's got any members there in Tucson, but it doesn't sound like it. If we weren't already doing something here this weekend, (and I could talk my family into a wee bit of a drive) I'd be there in armor helping you guys out.

I posted a story about your efforts this weekend on FanForce.net. I hope it helps raise awareness of what you're doing. Good luck guys; you're awesome for doing this!

21. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Thanks BrotherHalo!

I emailed TD-0013 asking him about a trooper coming down. I also IMed a guy who was in Tucson and had armor but he isn't here anymore.

We just have to remember that we are doing this for a good cause and that is the most important thing.

22. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    more to do tomorrow.. for now I am off to work. hold down the fort ya'll.

23. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Make sure you guys get at least a BIT of rest. Don't go getting sick or exhausted from prepping for this - it won't do anyone good if you don't make it on Monday.

24. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    Anyone want to see a Sith Lord there?? Darth Nihilus.

I will ask my nephew if he wants to ba a padawan again.... and I too would do a fx saber duel..but it has to be dark for the sabers to show up. I broke my blue and red sabers dueling...(pretty dumb) but I still have my Mace Windu saber.

25. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Darth Nihilus?

Very cool, Mugen!

OK, I heard from TD-0013 of the 501st and he said that their resident Mara Jada was cracking the whip on the boys to get them to help.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Thank you BrotherHalo for that advice (I'm already battling allergies).

OK, my mother said she would come to help with receipts and such. She used to be a volunteer for the Red Cross in CT. This means my daughter will be there too and I'll try to talk her into wearing her Amidala costume or I might whip up a quick Leia costume for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.