main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Han with Kids after Indy with Kids?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LunarMoth, Jan 21, 2013.

1. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of seeing older Han with kids after we just got Indiana Jones with kids in Crystal Skull?

I think this is the kind of thing that could ultimately turn Harrison Ford off to coming back.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  2. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    It depends on the age of the "kid(s)". Set about 35 years post-ROTJ, they may be in their 20s or even 30s (depending on when Han & Leia bump uglies). That is the only thing keeping me from not minding too much.

3. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Thats about the same age as his son in Indy 4 (20's).

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  4. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Ya got me there. LOL At least Shia LeDoof won't be in this film. I hope. I am trying to stay positive here! LOL

Echo-07 and LunarMoth like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That's a good point, it'd be a bit redundant if Han Solo had a kid when Indy had a kid too. However, on the flipside, Han and Leia having kids makes more sense than Indy, rather randomly, having a kid with a chick we hadn't seen for 3 movies. Like, I totally bought it and thought it was sweet but Solo kids clearly leads out of the ending of "Return of the Jedi". Indy having a kid does not lead out of the ending of "Last Crusade", get what I'm saying?

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I'm totally fine with any of them having kids, as long as the kids are good characters. I'm especially cool with Lando having kids. [​IMG]

7. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    It's not that it's a bad idea for Han to have kids so long as said kid isn't Shia Lebouf. It would have worked for Indy, but thankfully for Star Wars, we saw what a disaster that casting choice was.

So long as the kid(s) is/are cast well then it won't even be a problem.

8. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Yeah the problem wasn't Indy with a kid it was Shia Laboof head - the guy is awful , it's all about the casting ....................( Jake LLoyd )

Episode Swag and Echo-07 like this.
  9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    If Shia is cast in this film, I will send in my protest letters to LFL and Disney. No I will march on Disney and LFL in protest. :cool:

Echo-07 likes this.
  10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm not sure "redundant" is the word I'd choose. Harrison Ford may play them both, but Indiana Jones and Han Solo are not the same character. Seeing a 70 year old man play a father seems pretty normal to me.

Echo-07 likes this.
  11. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Well, first, I'm a little surprised that the idea of Han and Leia having kids seems at all unorthodox. I'm always hesitant to invoke the EU to make a point concerning the new films, but in this case, I do have to point out that most of us have been fine with the idea since reading about it in 1991. What's different now? I'll be the first to grant that the ST could indeed overwrite the EU, and that the EU itself has committed sufficient errors that I won't cry over that, but is this one of those EU ideas people now think are a mistake? It's not like killing said children off before their time or anything; it's just giving birth to them. They may not even be the same children, or have the same names or genders, as those from the EU, but to me the idea of Han and Leia marrying and having children, on principle, just seemed the obvious next step, considering that a major story arc in the OT was them falling in love and committing to each other. I'd be more disturbed if they didn't have children by now.

Second, we need to remember that, in all likelihood, the ST will simply not be about the OT characters, at least not primarily; they may be there, but the story won't focus on them any more than the OT was about the PT characters. And I'm still not convinced Harrison Ford is even necessary in this new equation; really, the only absolutely necessary characters from the OT would be Luke and the droids. All else is extra. Han may or may not be in Episodes VII-IX; if he is, I'll be happy to see him, but I understand that this isn't going to be his story. Unlike Crystal Skull, these films won't depend on Harrison's presence or performance.

Finally, if Han and Leia don't have children, how many are left to do so? These trilogies are separated by generational shifts and the ST will be no different. If it isn't Han and Leia's children who will take up the mantle of main characters and heroes, it'll have to be Luke's. Somehow, I just don't see the trilogy being about Lando Jr....

Episode Swag and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  12. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    There are a lot of things that could turn Ford off to coming back...

By the way, how would you react if you just found out you had children and you did not know they existed... ;)

13. More Kit Fisto Please

More Kit Fisto Please Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2013
    Disney needs to remove the shackles of expanded universe continuity. The next set of movies will be ham-strung if the writers hope to incorporate EU books, games, comics ect. I, for one, very much hope they start with a clean slate and we don't know what happened after Episode 6 until it is revealed on screen. Oh the scrawl! The glorious scrawl!

14. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Yeah, I get it, and I don't disagree, but I would say that the way they did it in Indy 4 was a device meant to suprise because of your point.

As for some of the other posts, I dont it is a bad idea or unorthodox for Han and Leia to have kids, as that would be a natural progression of their relationship. My point was more to say that I find it a little uneasy for some reason that both instances of Ford reprising his most well know roles include that element to the point that it might stop him from doing it.

15. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    I would make him go back to school and take him on crazy adventures around the world. But I won't let him wear my hat.

General Immodet likes this.
  16. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    If he's that on the fence about it, that's all the more reason he shouldn't be in it, and all the more reason his character should not be written into it. If he's going to come up with reasons not to want to do it, if he's not excited about coming back for its own sake, then I'd rather he not be there than have him there and be forced to watch a phoned-in performance.

Original Oatmeal and LunarMoth like this.
  17. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    I would much prefer he was written out if Ford passes on the role.

I do think they will give him some creative control over the power in order to get him on board, but if they write a story that involves Solo kids and he doesnt like it, they will surely not re-write the whole thing for him. In that case I say no Han instead of re-casting.

18. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Well, having Jedi kids trumps Mutt Williams by like a million.

19. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I'm actually more concerned with how they will handle Han and Leia's relationship than the kids themselves. Judging by how they interacted in Episode 5, it seemed to me like they would not stay together very long. While it made for some good dialogue and tension, the bickering they have all the way from the start to their first kiss just felt like a bad omen.

Makes me wonder if they're going to be divorced in the ST or something. What would be weird though is to watch them soften up to each other in 7, almost like a repeat of their relationship in 5. Weird yes, but it wouldn't surprise me. To be honest, their bickering was kind of the cool part of their relationship in the first place. It added some edgyness so to speak.

In any case, I'm sure that their kids will be influenced by their parents' relationship in one way or another. Guess I'm curious as to how that's gonna happen.

No matter what happens, it could be very very good. Or very very bad. Or meh, guess we'll have to wait and see.

20. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Did you miss Ep VI where they grew together and worked cohesively together? Especially after the little Luke jelousy thing was cleared up :)

Personally, I dont think there needs to be kids for the Skywalker saga to continue, but thats just me.....

21. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    That actually reminds me more of the situation in Indy than the whole kid thing, to be honest.

To answer the original question, Star Wars and Indiana Jones are two totally different things. I don't see why two different characters (who happen to be played by the same actor) can't both have kids. It just seems like the next logical step for Star Wars. They need the next generation to come from somewhere and there's only two options: Luke or Leia.

Although, I have to admit, Shia LaBeouf was not a good choice to portray Indy's son. I had more of an issue with the casting choice than I did with the decision to give Indiana Jones a son.

22. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Sure they are totally different things. My point was more a worry that Harrison Ford, the guy who has to do both, might find it redundant and decide not to participate.

23. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I could see Han having kids.
    Certainly not ANH Han, but ROTJ Han had softened to the point where I could see him warming to the idea of kids.
    That being said, I could equally see him as an old grissled loner eeking out his final days on a rusty leaking Falcon and cursing the day he ever met Leia Organa.

Either would work in my book.

24. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    In that case, let's hope that we're far enough removed from the release of KotCS that it won't come to that. Although, he is now at an age where it's common for him to play characters with children, so I don't think it'll matter much anyway.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That could be a hellova lot of fun. Maybe a bit depressing but fun if Han came back to save the day in the end.