main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Composer confirmed for film 7

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by redsabreanakin, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    It is being reported that...John Williams has been asked..and will indeed be writing music for the final installment.

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best news I've heard in a long time.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33774

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't believe anything on Ain't It Cool News.

EDIT: I checked on jwfan.net and they linked to this. Looks like Williams did mention it.

3. EllenRipley

EllenRipley Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 24, 2007
    This isn't at all confirmed. All that is stated is that Williams wants to return, not that he will. For what it's worth, I really hope Nicholas Hooper gets a shot at Half-Blood Prince and does good with it... But only Williams will be able to do Deathly Hallows justice. Here's hoping that he does indeed score it. [face_praying]

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's why it says Williams "might" be back.

5. EllenRipley

Aug 24, 2007
    I posted as you were editing... Hence, didn't see the "might".

6. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    I've seen this popping up on so many websites and I just find it ridiculous. While I'm sure the guy who originally talked with Williams and posted this news at FSM wasn't trying to start any rumors, his original wording makes it sound like Williams said, "I'll be back for the final film... or at least I hope I will." This isn't the way many sites are reporting it. I honestly believe that the producers will let the director of the film choose whoever the want. Unless Williams has any kind of inside information (which he may) I don't think there is any reason to take what he said too seriously. It would be great if he came back and gave us something on par with PoA (however difficult that would be), but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

EDIT: To clarify what many sites are posting, Williams did not say this during the lecture, but to one specific fan while he was getting an autograph.

Here is the person who talked with Williams

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes. I linked to that in my post. Man you guys are quick today. :rolleyes:

8. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Oh, haha. I just assumed that was a link to JWFan [face_blush]

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    No man! I am on the ball!!! :p

10. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Well at least Williams would like to do the final Harry Potter film. That's always a good sign. But right now he's 75 years old and that movie probably won't be ready for him to score until he's 78. Of course film composers have been known to work into their 80's if they're able and willing.

It's sad to think that we've got (if we're really lucky) about 10 more years left with Mr. Williams in terms of new scores. Time flies...

11. packerfansam

packerfansam Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2007
    According to Sci Fi Wire, Williams *is* going to be back.

12. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Right now it's just a rumor that's spreading very quickly and has been taken out of its original context. Don't get your hopes up until there is something officially announced.

EDIT: Sci Fi Wire links to the original message board posting, but they obviously didn't read it. In their news report they state, "John Williams ... told an audience at the Berkshire Museum in Massachusetts that he will return to the franchise to score the proposed last movie, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." This is obviously not what the guy on the message board posted. Shouldn't a site posting "news" at least read their own source? :rolleyes:

13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It's not really a rumor, if Williams himself said he would like to come back. That is fact. Does it mean that it's 100% sure that Williams will score the film? No of course not, but it's certainly good news to me. Warner Brothers would be the stupidest studio on the planet if they didn't get him to do the score that he would like to do. Hell they should ask him to score the sixth film too.

14. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Right, the part about Williams wanting to come back isn't a rumor, but the way it's being reported and taken out of context on many sites almost makes it a rumor.

And we all know where I stand on Hooper scoring film six, haha, so I'll just leave it at that. :D

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    But seriously if the choice were between Williams and Hooper scoring HBP would you honestly choose Hooper?

16. EllenRipley

Aug 24, 2007
    I would. The more I hear the score to OotP, the more impressed I am. I'd like to see Hooper given another go. Williams needs to do the last one though.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    You would choose Hooper over Williams? All credibility is gone. Completely. No matter how much you like the score for OOTP there is no way it's anywhere as good as the weakest of Williams' Harry Potter scores. This Hooper thing has descending to ridiculousness.

18. EllenRipley

Aug 24, 2007
    That's touching, man. I like Hooper's score. I'd rather he be give a chance to prove what he can do with expanding the (good) music he's already written. I already have 20 billion Williams CD's sitting on the shelf, I can live without one more.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I must have missed all that good music in OOTP. I saw it again this weekend with my parents and even my mother, who does not give a crap about film music, said the music sucked. I don't get the love for this outright bad score. It actually takes AWAY from the film in key places. It's a miracle he didn't mess things up worse. The score for OOTP makes Doyle's work sound like genius. Hooper should never be allowed anywhere near a film again. I wouldn't buy the OOTP score unless it was like two bucks. And then it would be only to have a complete set of HP scores.

Warner Brothers should (and likely will) jump at the chance to get Williams to score ANY Harry Potter film he expresses an interest in.

20. EllenRipley

Aug 24, 2007
    Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'd be disappointed if Williams were to score it, far from it! The level of incredulity you show to the idea that anyone could like Hooper's score, though... I can't help feeling the same way about those who bash it so much. It's good... Miles ahead of Doyle's score, and a much better listen than CoS.

21. andy1044

andy1044 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2006
    Ack! Didn't we all agree to disagree on this subject?

22. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    I can't exactly give a straightforward answer. I really enjoyed Hooper's work on OotP and want to hear what he has in store for HBP, but at the same time it would be next to impossible for me to turn down a Williams' score.

Yes, I think we did.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    My incredulity is not because people like Hooper's score. It's the idea that people would choose Hooper over John Williams to score a Harry Potter film. I don't buy it.

24. EllenRipley

Aug 24, 2007
    From my perspective, there's a serious lack of good scores coming out of Hollywood right now. If I hear a score from a new composer and I like it, then I'm inclined to want to hear more of what they can do. Like I said, I'm not exactly going to be disappointed if Williams scores it, but at this point, I'm more interested in finding some new talents to replace the ones who have disappeared over the last few years. Hooper's score, to me, was very good... I'd like to hear more. That's all there is to it. I don't see why Potter scores should be treated like some sacred cow, and yet nobody is complaining about the lack of John Williams from the hundreds of other scores that come out every year.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The Harry Potter films are not a sacred cow, but as the musical bar was set by three excellent Williams scores, there is an expectation for these films that other films do not have. Imagine if someone else had come in to score 2 of the Star Wars films. Or if someone else was gonna score Indy 4. How would you feel about that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.