main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Composer confirmed for film 7

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by redsabreanakin, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I am really encouraged by what I hear. It sounds much more dynamic and compelling than the previous scores. It feels more like Harry Potter. I am looking forward to hearing more.

2. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    More samples here.

The soundtrack will be released on digital album, deluxe digital album (+ 3 bonus tracks and documentary), CD (+ 5.1 audio download) and collector's box set (CD, bonus CD with 6 tracks, LP, DVD with 5.1 audio, and other stuff). That's quite confusing.

3. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Having finished listening to the album for Deathly Hallows Part 1, I'd give it a solid B.

It has several themes but they're somewhat subtle and or not very complicated. The album certainly doesn't quote Hedwigs theme very much and when it does, its only partial and a bit quiet. Of course its just the album and not the complete score. The instrumentation is nice and it feels like Williams in certain places in terms of an orchestra and arrangement so I like that. Can't say there's much that glues the score together but perhaps that's not necessary for this particular film. I want John Williams back for Part 2 but Desplat is definitely an upgrade from Hooper.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    That's not very encouraging. Especially after Desplat said he would use Williams' themes more because they were underused in previous scores.

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I agree. A return to some of the Williams themes would have been nice, but I guess you can't have everything. :(

6. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    A lot of John Williams' original themes for the first three Harry Potter movies would sound too whimsical and lighthearted when played during probably the darkest parts of the entire series. There would be major soundtrack dissonance. Better to have John Williams make a brand new score. Desplat did pretty well, though.

7. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Hedwig's theme pops up a few times and I'm pretty sure Voldemort's theme is around 2 minutes into Sky Battle.

8. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    I agree with HL&S: the score is a B. It's quite enjoyable to listen to as you do work, presenting interesting melodies and sounds. In many ways, it sounds reminiscent of Williams -- except that it doesn't have any easily identifiable themes (at least to me, after my first listen). Still, it works quite well in the context of the film and as a standalone CD. That's worth something.

9. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Honestly, Hedwig's theme, straight out, would have been major soundtrack dissonance. It's too lively for this film. What Desplat could have done was make one new theme for Harry, one for Voldemort, and interweave them into a bunch of different tunes as a sort of interplay. But I just think it's foolish to incorporate themes from the two lightest Harry Potter films into the soundtrack for the darkest one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.