main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by redsabreanakin, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    That's common. It might have been that what's on the CD is what the orignal score is, but they cart parts of the movie out, so they had to shorten the score as well.

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Even from a musical POV what they had in the film for that cue was just enough. The extended cue on the score definitely overdid it, even if it was for a earlier cut of the film.

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I bought GoF on DVD this week and the scored just wowed me. For some reason it made little impact on me in the theaters but I was greatly impressed with the score this time around. I also enjoyed the songs as well. I have to say that this may very well be the best of all Potter soundtracks, although Williams original themes are the best.

4. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    In my opinion, nothing beats Azkaban. So many great themes and pieces. Harry walking through the hall is frightening.:)

5. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    GOF is my favourite Potter score, although Azkaban really is a terrific work.

One thing I am certain of, though, is that we still have a few more great scores to look forward to.

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Wow. I am not sure what to say to that. GOF is an acceptable score. It is good in the film. It is NO WHERE in the same league as the three Williams scores. I would rank them this way:

Sorceror's Stone
    Prisoner of Azkaban
    Chamber of Secrets

everything else by Williams
    most of Goldsmith's work
    half of Horner's work
    all three LOTR scores
    loads of other scores

Goblet of Fire

7. Three-Eight

Three-Eight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Excactly so.

8. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Just got this JWFan.net:

"The fourth film has been done by a colleague of mine, in London, because I was not available to do that because of other commitments here (Los Angeles), but I love doing the series." - John Williams

Not confirmed yet.

9. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    When I first heard Doyle's score in the theater I thought it was pretty good, and I still like to listen to the CD, but when I was watching the DVD the other day, it just seemed like something was missing. It's a solid score, but my least favorite in the series. One part of the movie that really upset me was when we see Voldermort - I was so dissapointed that Doyle didn't use the motif that Williams created for Voldermort. The music in that scene is a bit "blah" until Harry's parents show up (and there, I have to admit, it gets really good).

I really hope Williams comes back for 5-7. I can't imagine anyone else scoring some of the scenes in 5 and 6 and most likly 7.

I have to admit however, I'm glad Williams scored Memoirs instead - he gave us a truly amazing score with that one.

10. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Well, Timo, I guess we just have to agree to disagree. :p

And Cerrabore . . . uh, we know that, don't we? What's new in that quote?

Darth_Vader-Anakin - the Doyle Voldemort theme is actually an elaboration on the Williams one, if I am not mistaken.

11. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I think it's supposed to hint at the possibility of him doing (some of) the others.

12. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    personaly I do not care who does the next film. Williams or Doyle. As long as its one of them.

13. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    This quote means that Williams only opted out of Goblet of Fire because of a schedule conflict. It seems that he would like to return to the series, if he can.

That motif isn't even used in the track "Voldemort." I think its last use is in "The Black Lake." Then again, that track has nothing to do with Voldemort, so perhaps the so-called Voldemort motif is as amorphous as the rest of the vague, chromatic themes used in the score; it symbolizes "whatever."

14. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Not a fan of the score, then, Cerrabore? :p Thanks for the correction, though.

But I thought we knew that it was only because of scheduling that Williams couldn't do GOF? Anyway it doesn't really matter.

15. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    I don't know, IMDB still has him listed under music for the next film. I liked Doyles work, but I have to admit that it came to a rough start for me. The first few scenes are so rough. he didn't preserve any of the staples Williams had made, thus it was almost distracting. You go in expecting to hear Hedwigs theme somewhere in the first 5 minutes, but it's not. It starts off on a very low note. That's not to say the start of the entire film was bad, but the score should have at least tried to move in from older set in stone ways. I'm not against a composer or any artist trying to put their own twist on works, but I think you can do so a lot more effectively by easing into it.

Score wise, the last 2/3rds of that movie were wonderful. up to that point though, I wasn't impressed. I think Doyle could have done a better job of easing into his style, even if some might accuse him of imitation.

Anyway, the score was good in some parts, but I have to agree that it goes well below the Williams Potter scores and many other scores written. I love what Doyle has done, changing the mood to more of an ominous one, especially with the upcoming stories. I just think he could have handled those first 5 minutes when everyone was going to be critical a little more delicately.

~JW

16. yoda_rulz

yoda_rulz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2004
    I own the first three soundtracks, but GoF is definetly my favorite. It might be because it's darker, but the music just seemed to connect more with the movies than the first 3 did.

The Durmstrang/Krum theme is AMAZING!!!!!!

17. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    DUM-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-DUM-dum-DUM-dum-dum-dum-HOO-YAH!-DUM-dum-dum-dum-YAH!-dum-dum-DUM-dum-dum-dum...

18. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Hey, I like that bit too, but I like the Irish-themed music that leads up to it better.

Saw the film last night for the first time. Not really impressed, but the music was one of the better aspects overall. Azkaban is still my favorite of all the scores, but I'd rank this one as better than Chamber at least.

The Golden Egg is a great action cue, by the way.

19. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Haha, that podcast was hilarious...

20. EquestrianJedi07

EquestrianJedi07 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2006
    I love this score. And not just because I'm a highly obsessive Harry Potter fan ;)

My favorite track is "The Story Continues", although many of the tracks are great as well. There's something about "Hogwarts Hymn" that gets me every time.

21. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    I don't totally hate the score. "The Story Continues," "The Dark Mark," "The Black Lake," and the unfortunately unreleased end credits introduction are pretty good cues. However, the boorish fanfares really kill my listening experience - whether it be the upbeat Hogwarts or "foreign visitors" themes or the chromatic Voldemort/evil music. "Harry in Winter" is a rather uninteresting love theme, and it suffers from extremely repetitive orchestration.

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am slowly starting to agree more and more with cerrabore. This score is wearing off. I find myself skipping half its tracks.

23. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Hey, you can skip 7/8ths of Philosopher's Stone and still get the idea. :p

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't skip any of that excellent Williams score. It is the second best Potter score ever and the one that started it all.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I gotta say... I just rewatched GOF and man that film is so good. I like it as much as I did opening day. Really fantastic film. I wish I could say the same thing about Doyle's score. Yes it is better than it could have been. Yes it could have been disasterous and wasn't. However, it seems like each time I watch the film, I notice more issues with the score. Let's summarize my concerns:

26. Foremost, not using Williams themes. Several other themes besides "Hedwig's Theme" were needed. Quite bluntly, none of Doyle's themes hold a candle. Realize your own limitations and use the genius that Williams already laid out for you.

27. During the scene following Moody's use of the Curses, as Neville is standing dazed on the stairs, we see a shot of the stained glass window "crying" followed by an exterior shot and the scene where the students put their names in the Goblet. This entire section SCREAMS for something more than what Doyle did. The music here is total throwaway boring. The moment needs something that helps to transition from the emotion of the intense scene before with Moody and the Curses. One of several major moments that for me cry out for Williams' touch

28. The sequence with the dragon. Doyle did not write any action score for this film. This whole section needs Williams abilities scoring an action sequence. The music is just boring here.

29. The scene with Moaning Myrtle needs the theme Williams composed for her in CoS. It's much more playful and interesting than what Doyle gave us.

30. During the sequence where all the students are entering the Great Hall for the Yule Ball, there is a sweeping fanfare. Great. WHY is this the same exact theme as when Harry beats the dragon? Can Doyle not write more than 2 themes for the film? These two elements of the story are not remotely related. The score shouldn't be either.

31. The scene with Voldemort at the end when Harry's parents appear. I've said it before. It needs to be an urgent version of "A Window to the Past." Period. What Doyle did is okay. But this is not an "okay" moment. This is a moment when the MUSIC ALONE should move you to tears.

32. However, I will not be entirely negative about this score. It has some great moments.

33. "The Story Continues." Great opening. Darker, more grown up and more sinister. Just like the film.

34. "Harry In Winter." This cue may repeat and be overly simple, but I still feel that this works for a teenager's first love. Let's face it, it's not that complex.

35. The music when Harry's name comes out of the Goblet. The section with only drums is perfect for that moment. It reminds me of Williams Death Star music from ANH.

36. "Rita Skeeter." This is seriously Williamsesque cheeky fun. It is perfect for the character and the scene. It also fits Harry Potter music excellently.

37. The Waltzes. Both are wonderful, quirky and classical sounding. They work well in and out of the film.

38. "Voldemort." Other than the section that needed to be "A Window to the Past" this cue works well I think.

39. "Death of Cedric." I think the utter anguish and sadness felt by Harry, the crowd and by Amos Diggory are captured very well by this cue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.