main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by redsabreanakin, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Ah, but you can't really say they'll be similar. After all, JW wrote ANH and Close Encounters in the same year, and they are about as different as you can get.

2. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    I enjoyed all the other Potter scores before the film without knowing the context which they were in. I see nothing wrong with initial reactions and criticisms, because they may change.

And like that...he's gone.

3. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Exactly what I thought when I first heard it.

I think this track is pretty good, but seeing as how it's so short, and I have no idea what scene it is tied to, I can't really comment much on it - other than on its own it's fairly interesting. I look forward to hearing the whole score.

The song, The is the Night, not too impressed by that. Not sure how well it will fit into the film, but I know that I don't care for it right now.

4. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    I haven't heard it yet but I don't want anything that sounds like Elfman...It'll end up sounding like Batman.

5. Draxtralia

Draxtralia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2004
    It sounds nothing like Elfman.

6. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    404 File not found.:rolleyes: Anyone have the tracks saved?

7. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
  8. Boba_Fett_123

Aug 6, 2002
    Thanks.

EDIT: It sounds very Elfman-esque. I like it, though. Kinda gives me the feeling that the film may not be starting in the Riddle house, though (unless this is not the first track from the film?).

9. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    It's not really a big deal, but I hope the cd isn't made up of a bunch of short tracks. On the two Doyle cds I have, I would say the average track length is a little over 1:30. I like them to be a bit on the longer side. Not however like Crminson Tide with those two 20 min tracks.

10. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Oh my gosh!

THE ENRIE SOUNDTRACK IS UP ON AOL!

LINK

The 3rd track has the teaser trailer music!

11. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    This is personally my favorite score so far. Wow. I'm just hearing a lot more variety and flavor than I heard in the other scores. I don't think anything will ever top Fawkes' theme, but overall, I'm liking this more than the previous scores.

12. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Well, I just finished listening to the whole soundtrack and here's my opinion.

Honestly, I don't know what to think. It certainly isn't John Williams, but that's not a bad thing. I think most of the music is wonderful and espcially tracks like: The Quidditch World Cup, The Dark Mark, Golden Egg, Harry Potter's Love, Voldermort, Cedric, and Hogwart's Hymn (this one in particular). I only noticed Williams' themes being used twice, but that may be different in the final film. I think my biggest gripe (remember however that I've only listened once) is that there seems to be a lack of themes. I didn't really notice any themes at all except perhaps one for the Goblet, but even for that I'm not sure it was an actual theme.

Overall, Doyle's score didn't blow me away like I wanted it to. However, although I'm a huge fan of Williams, it's nice to see someone else take the job (plus I'm really looking forward to Memoirs of Geisha which Williams might not have been able to do had he taken on GoF). Given time, I'm sure I learn to love this score. And I'll of course reserve final judgement until I see how well the score plays in the film.

I have question - I assume the 3 songs as well as the two waltzes will be played during the ball? How long is that scene going to be!?

EDIT:
    I stand by my original statement that the first track reminds me of Elfman, but not to worry, after a full listen that's the only track that gave me that feeling.

13. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    We're sorry, this feature is not yet available for Macintosh.

[face_frustrated]

14. Indiana_Fett

Indiana_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2004
    Owned.

By the way...This is the Night got less nauseating this time around. I still dislike it, though.

15. mvwg3003

mvwg3003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Anyone else having trouble playing this?

16. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Overall I think the score is fantastic. Much better than I'd feared. I would like to hear more themes, especially Williams' themes, but it sounds really good so far. I look forward to hearing it in the film.

17. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I agree with Strilo. This score is ten times better than I had feared. It not only has good moments, it has *great* moments as well. I'd say "Voldemort", and "Foreign Visitors Arrive" being some of them. It also has iffy points - "Harry Potter's Love" is very soppy, and the Zimmer-esque drums don't do much for me.

Overall I cannot wait to hear it in the context of the film.

18. Boba_Fett_123

Aug 6, 2002
    It doesn't seem to work anymore. :_|

19. mvwg3003

mvwg3003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Try here instead

http://www.harrypottersoundtrack.com/

It's not the whole thing, only a few tracks

20. Draxtralia

Feb 28, 2004
    First Rowling's Half-Blood Prince was awful, and now Patrick Doyle's score is less than mediocre. Things don't look good for Potter.

21. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I cannot disagree more with those two statements, Draxtralia.

Half-Blood Prince was absolutely terrific, and I really like this score and am looking forward to seeing it in context.

22. Draxtralia

Feb 28, 2004
    That book made me want to gouge my eyes out. Rowling sent character and plot development into an entirely new level of inconsistancy and absurdity not seen since Edward D. Wood Jr. I think people only liked it because it had "Harry Potter" written on it. It was the book that made me realize Rowling is no master and Potter is nothing more than a sexed-up boarding school romantic comedy.

As for the GOF score, maybe it's the compression, but the orchestrations sound almost as flat as a Takayuki Hattori score. The repetitiveness and lack of emotional depth make it sound so bland and generic as if it has no identity. The three songs also indicate, to me at least, that Warner Bros. will probably phase out full score soundtracks for the series if they continue to be as bad as this. This score proves that John Williams is ultimate example of musical awesomeness, his scores for the Potter films made me interested in the series in the first place, but now that he's gone, it's as if everything else good about it went away with him.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I also completely and emphatically disagree on both counts. HBP was an excellent book. I genuinely enjoyed it, and not because it says HP on the cover. As for the score, it is NOT John Williams and his score would have been far superior. But I do not expect every score to be his caliber. It's like expecting every band to be the Beatles. Not gonna happen. Doyle's score is more subtle than Williams' previous Potter scores, a little darker and more Elfmanesque. Time will tell if it holds up to repeated listens. As it stands now I think it bodes well for fitting into the film wonderfully, which is after all a score's job.

24. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I haven't read HBP. Started it, but I made it halfway through the second giant infodump chapter when I lost interest. I'll go back to it eventually. Rowling really lost it in Book 4. She's got a plot in these books, but she also needs some major editing.

As for the score, I haven't listened to it yet. I don't tend to enjoy scores when I listen to them online. That said, while I enjoyed most of POA, I didn't care much for the first two HP scores and I generally prefer Doyle's style to Williams' these days. *shrug*

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I generally prefer Doyle's style to Williams' these days. *shrug*

Holy god... that's the worst thing I have ever heard you say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.