main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Harry Potter Cloaks/Costuming

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by spacelady, Apr 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    I refer to this costume:
    [image=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b382/chaosbria/costumes/fleuryuleball.jpg]

2. Queen_Apailana

Queen_Apailana Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    Oh sorry I haven't looked into that one[face_worried]

But it is very pretty keep up us up to date with your progress.

3. MasterCenedra

MasterCenedra Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    yes, please do!

MC

4. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    I think for Fleur's dress you'll basically build a bustier, then make a huge tube of chiffon, gather it at the top, make little stitches to hold it to the bustier until the waist, then let it fall free. Then put the appliques on top and add spaghetti straps. I think getting the boned bodice right will probably be the hardest part.

5. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    Build a bustier, you say? Hmm, this maybe incredibly more complicated then I had originally thought.

As of now, I'm thinking of not worrying so much about the top and bottom part of the dress lining up as far as the gathers go since that could take an incredibly large amount of time.

And now I need to go find something to use for a pattern and fabric. :p

6. Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
    My favorite bustier pattern may be a little hard to find, but if you look around online you should be able to get it. It's from an international pattern company called Burda. The patter is #8601. I've used it so many times I now have it modified exactly how I like it for me. It shouldn't be that hard to do for yourself, just make a mock up and put a zipper on it, then pin and adjust the seams until the bodice is like a second skin. Here's a pic of the pattern, if it works:

[image=http://www.1sewingpatterns.com/images5/8601bbur.jpg]

I'm not sure what you mean by the top and the bottom lining up. In my opinion the dress is all one big piece of fabric, and the lining up part is just you pinning it to the bustier in the right places. Pin, pin, pin, and if it's not lined up like you like, then re-pin, then sew when it looks good. Another good thought instead of all that sewing would be to put in some iron-on hem tape and then just iron down the pleats. I'm not 100% sure it would work, but it would be worth testing on scraps. Perhaps it would be nice for places in between securing stitches. Anyway, you're probably going to need a wider chiffon, like the 60" silk chiffon at Dharma. I don't know if you can get poly chiffon that wide, especially in that color. You'll also need an opaque skirt attached to the bustier under the chiffon unless you're looking to expose your lower half, because chiffon is pretty transparent.

7. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    By lining things up, I meant I may make the top and bottom out of two different pieces of fabric.

Thanks for the pattern picture/idea. I'll defintely look into getting ahold of it if I can't find one I like in my local fabric store.

8. Jayne

Oct 16, 2002
    If you're in the US, JoAnn's sometimes carries Burda. I know WalMart doesn't, and I've never checked at Hancock's.

If you're using narrower chiffon I almost think it would be easier to not make it in two parts, but to sew the fabric together along the selvedges to make a huge piece wide enough to reach from top to hem. That way you could work with narrower fabric and still keep the length the same.

9. CodeName_Targeter

Nov 7, 2003
    Hmmm, that makes sense. I guess I'll probably have to figure out what fabric I'm using before I make any decisions on how to actually make it.

Thanks for the tips! [:D] In a month or so, I'll probably come running back in, desperate for help. :p

10. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/goblet7/voldwand.jpg]

This is a voldemort wand I've been working on for about a day, for a christmas present, just thought I'd put this teaser up for thoughts or anything, still needs alittle more sanding and a tweak or two. Other than that, its about ready for its final paint job; hope to have it done by tommorrow.:D

11. EmmasOneandOnly

EmmasOneandOnly Jedi Youngling

Sep 20, 2005
    How is everything coming?

12. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Hey :)

I've tried to figure out the pattern for the scarf the pupils wear in PoA and GoF.
    Gryffindor
    Ravenclaw
    Hufflepuff
    and Slytherin

And with what I ended up is this (very poorly made) drawing
    [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/23842/scarf%20pattern.JPG]
    Basically it's suppossed to say that the small yellow parts are 4 rows, the red part between the yellow strips is 8 rows wide and the large red part is 32 rows wide.
    Did anyone count the same row numbers?

I must be insane spending haly of my afternoon counting rows on scarfs :p

On another side I've read that the scarf in knitted "in a round". Does that mean it's double layered?

Thanks for your help :)

13. DarthSidious13

DarthSidious13 Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2005
    Does anybody know if there's a great Voldemort costume from the GOF movie? I don't know what kind of material is used for that interesting robe/cloak...

14. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I can take a few pics of my vold wand, give me a few min.
    I'll end up redoing it, I can sense it. lol.

15. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v385/goblet7/voldemortwand.jpg]
    Here's the "first attempt" at the voldemort wand, I went for the dirtier versian. I'll probably redo this somtime soon, just to get it out of the way, and give the new one a better paint job.

EDIT: Accidently posted it in a new post.:p

16. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Hey sal
    I think it's a very well done wand, well proportioned. But I have to say that I do not really like the colours...

I looked through the whole hogwarts-gallery.org but I couldn't find a single pic of Voldemort.
    So for the moment all I could say about his robes is, that they are black... sorry ;)
    So you might have to wait till April till the DVD is released.

17. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I dont like the colors much ethier, but I made it for a gift the day before christmas eve, well painted it, had to get it done fast.
    When I was painting it I was using ref pics that made the wand look more dirty so I just went with that look, its not as dark in person though. But yeah, gonna redo it soon, with much lighter paint.:p

18. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I've finally gotten a photobucket account up, so now I can finally post images in image form! :D :p

Anyways, here's my overdue image of my school cloak (I'm afraid of putting a school house patch on because I might want it to end up permanently as a Jedi cloak... [face_worried] :p ), but it looks a bit like a Jedi cloak, so sometimes I switch it. :p hehe

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/MilBrcrsan/100_1130.jpg]

My grandma helped me with the hood, because at the time, almost three years ago, it was the first costume I had ever made, so yeah, she did it for me, but I'm not too keen on it. Maybe one of these days, I'll go back and make a entirely new hood. *shrugs*

[image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c61/MilBrcrsan/100_1131.jpg]

Btw, very nice wand, sal! :D Looks awesome... even if I haven't seen the fourth movie. ;)

~Spacelady

19. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I made a wicked Sirius costume out of leftover trash bags and crayola crayons. It came out so good. I wouldn't dare leave the house in it though.

You'll have to just take my word on this though, because I'm not posting any pictures.

20. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Bought some half inch dowel today, 80 cents not bad for like 5 ft of it. I'm gonna break in the wood burning tool today(used to ingrave/carve wood, for those that dont know), prob gonna try a sirius wand. :D

21. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    You mean School Robe since it got sleeves? ;) The thing about HP, there is a Robe and Cloak, the later which now not used so much in the latest movies if I remember correctly.

Anyhow, it looked great IMHO! =D= =D=

Personally, I'm planning to use the original pattern of my HP one for my Jedi Robe one of these days when I get the cloth. The differences is that for the HP Robe, I made the Front and Back pieces fit the 45" width of the cloth as much as possible, compared to me planning to use the full 60" width for my Jedi one.

22. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Eh, school robe, school cloak. Same thing. ;) :p

And thanks for the comment; don't get many people commenting me on my costumes. :p Maybe two at the most. :p

[image=http://www.simplicity.com/assets/5840/5840.jpg] I used this pattern to make this robe ( :p ) It's the top blue one. :p It's a bit wide, but it looks cool. :D

~Spacelady

23. lamontanarose

lamontanarose Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2006
    Hi, I'm looking for a Quidditch/other Harry Potter costume for me and my horse, I need patterns for the sweater and other Quidditch clothing. Also if anyone has any ideas for my horse's costume please pm me. Thank you.

24. lamontanarose

lamontanarose Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2006
    I private messaged you, I hope you don't mind, but I'd like those instructions for the Quidditch pads also. Thanks

25. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I'm actually looking for pictures from the Yule Ball, I'd like to make one of the dresses for my prom dress this year...I like Hermione's but maybe there are some others that I didn't see? anyone have suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.