main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Harry Potter vs Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Jan 22, 2013.

?

Harry Potter vs Star Wars

1. Harry Potter

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. Star Wars

15 vote(s)
    88.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    oh my bad

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    [face_whistling] Nothing to see here. Move along move along

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  4. Darthrevan4ever

Darthrevan4ever Jedi Master star 6

May 3, 2008
    After reading so many of the star wars novel and have read and seen all of the Harry potter movies all i can say is that they are a very different animal.

While harry potter is a story of fantasy set in a world that well we live in but the idea is there is more then what we as muggles see, while star wars is a universe that is apparently separate from ours. While both have fantastical creatures and devices one is based off legends of the real world while the other is a technologically unique and expansive universe that's beyond our scope of understanding.

For novels pretty much all of the harry potter books work they are deep caring and a ton of fun to read and they make you care about the characters, while star wars novels have a long history of being very hit or miss. This may seem like a dig on the novels that i love while i do think that all the harry potter books are great... they tell one story very well while even though hit or miss in their nature they have so many more of them so many more stories to tell. But how are they similar well i gotta say Harry potter is the universe much harder to write in since she came up with it all herself this was her imagination giving us this universe while star wars writers now have such an expansive well to draw from. Anyways for novels for creativity I'll give Harry potter novels the point, yet for the stories i have to give star wars novels the point since they just tell so many more stories, not a dig on harry potter but hey in all reality how likely is it that we'll get another book in that universe ?

As for the movies do i even have to go into which is better.... well i do since while being a rabid star wars fan i love the harry potter movies from the early 2 which are full of the wonder of Hogwarts to the darker tones of 3, 4, and 5 these are when the movies could really do everything right. The first two while more whimsical just got our feet wet in this Universe we felt like we were stepping into the world with harry think about how any of us would react to seeing this world of magics for the first time it would be a magical experience in which we'd be filed with a sense of wonder. The third, forth and fifth movies darkened said tone which followed the books almost we start to realize harry cant run from his past and the darkness that attacked him while young cant be beaten back forever and that it is coming for him with vengeance. Yet after the 5th movie they seemed to cut allot more from the books, scenes that frankly many people loved from the books being removed from the movie plus the train wrecks of the relationships.. done expertly and you can see how these people fell for each-other are turned into rather abrupt pairings off. I'll be honest the movies made it look like harry would wind up with Hermione instead of the novels slowly having them gravitate towards each-other and not even going to mention Harry /Ginny to much to say and not allot of patience to write it out lol.

Now star wars movies are something of a classic now claimed as something deeper then just a film, even if people aren't "fans" of star wars they know it its become more then a movie its apart of the culture now. Its just that big now the films aren't without their flaws and I'm talking all the films not just the PT the effects are dated but thats to be expected from an over 30 year old series which is why i wont compare the affects of the movies since its not fair to either. Just on the power of a story though Luke hero's journey is much more of an struggle, not only is his mother dead his father is the face of evil in the galaxy (though he doesnt know for most of the OT) But just the constant state of loss luke must suffer through the loss of mentor so early in their partnership to the loss of even yoda the last jedi leaving him alone in the galaxy as the last ember of a dying order to his defeat of vader and not surrendering to his dark side. Luke never had someone trying to protect him from his destiny while harry had Dumbledore trying to protect him from it. Plus the star wars enemy was the empire a galaxy spanning government with more ships and men then the rebellion could ever hope to through into battle. Harry potter its an insurrection (till the end) but even then it wasnt a world spanning force. So for just the fact that its much more of the heros journey for luke Star wars gets the point for hero's. Though i will give it too harry potter of just how enthralling a movie about wizards in our world is, i mean it could be very boring if done wrong and yet is a global hit so it also gets a point.

Well its down to my personal opinion and i gotta say i love star wars more big surprise i know but its mostly just since there is so much more of star wars to love i mean we have literally thousands and thousands of years of star wars history. While the harry potter world is ours and we wont see many more if any books/ movies in the universe while star wars may very well be a never ending story of stories. So thats my thoughts on it both are great, though star wars wins just do to how deep it is and how much of that universe we got.

Sorry bout all the text by the way i wanted to take this seriously :)

5. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    A good example. ;)

6. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    no it's not

it just means he prefers Star Wars conventions :p

others might prefer HP conventions

and I can imagine much less fights..

HP doesn't need to worry about canon

thesevegetables likes this.
  7. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    canon canon canon canon urghh

For Star Wars, there is literally more to like. Harry Potter is one series of books. Star Wars has several a year.

8. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    and in that sense HP is more structured ;)

9. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE!
    Seriously though, I'm not going to give something up because it is too complicated for a second grader.

10. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    no one said you should :p

11. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Maybe I should go be a rebel and wear my "Slytherin" scarf (which I didn't realize totally channeled Slytherin with its white and green stripes for years) and my Skeletor t-shirt (which I also didn't realize was totally channeling Skeletor until like two years after I first got it) with my Boba Fett hoodie and my officially!licensed replica Indiana Jones cowboy hat which I didn't realize was an official replica of his hat until like ten years after...

12. EnviousSerious-Rue

EnviousSerious-Rue Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2009
    When it comes to HP, I'm a Slytherin fan through and through.
    I just find that SW is is way more interesting with multiple characters.
    As in my post above, I've known SW since 1977 and HP since 1997.
    HP is finish. SW is a continuation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.