main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Has anyone found the LOTR DVD yet ?

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by DarthRain, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthRain

DarthRain Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2000
    I'm reading stories of Walgreens already putting them on their shelves.

Has anyone spotted them anywhere yet....other than Chockley's place ?

2. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    gonna wait for the 4 disc in nov.

EDIT: Locked by request.

3. DarthRain

Jun 2, 2000
    I plan on picking that up as well when the time comes.

Lucas has me trained to pick up movies I love in EVERY FREAKIN' CONFIGURATION !!

4. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    I got mine last week. ;)

It's pretty good, although the special features very much have the feel of leftovers that weren't good enough to make the 4 disc set. I'd say the best extras are the Two Towers preview and the 4 disc set commercial.

However, the trailers and music video are nice, and I'm glad to have the theatrical cut on DVD, as I don't know how well I'll like the extended cut yet. I might love it even more, but you never know. :)

But, I would say that if you're only getting one release, definitely get the 4 disc in November.

5. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    **looks around innocently while whistling**

6. jedikevn

jedikevn Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    Been enjoying my copy since last week also. The extras with the behind scenes making and the Two Towers preview are excellent. Also am planning on buying the 4 disc set on November 12th. Man I will be in DVD heaven that day... after all I believe a little movie called Star Wars comes out that same day! :)

7. super_hyper_melanie

super_hyper_melanie Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2001
    bleh...i still have to wait till this afternoon to go and get it...stupid mum didn't want me driving down the street to walmart (it's like a mile and 1/2 away i think..all i know is that it takes 20-25 min. to walk from my house to there and less than 5 min to drive) in the dead of the night by myself to go and get it and she didn't want to come with me....have to wait till the afternoon cuase i'm busy most of the earlier part of the day...just barely finding time to come in this morning and check up on the board.... oh well when i do get it...i'll come home and probably check out the special features first while waiting on my dad to come home and then wathcing it once he gets there cause he wants to see it but he doesn't go to movie theaters to see anything because the seats are too uncomfortable for him.

8. Jango_Bango

Jango_Bango Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    You might consider laying off that caffeine a little! ;)

9. super_hyper_melanie

Oct 24, 2001
    no no the caffeine is good for me...trust me without caffeine i'd be a mean grouchy sleepy person, and without it i wouldn't get that pick me up feeling that gives the the drive to be one of the top 5 fastest express checkers at my walmart....and people really like that.

10. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Are you threatening me? I need TP!

11. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    'She ate like 16 candy bars then drank a 6-pack of root beer.' :D

:cool:

12. ThreepMe

ThreepMe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    Beavis eh?

My favorite...

"TRICK OR TREAT SUNOFABEECH!!!"

13. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    LOL! That was a good one.

"Hey Butthead, check it out! I'm a nad!"

14. super_hyper_melanie

Oct 24, 2001
    *sits back reading and laughs my squeaky sounding laugh* (seriously it's a weird laugh, you have no idea how many people say it's werid...heck my x-boyfriend kicked me in the back of the leg every time i laughed because we had all decided it sounded like a squeaky hampster wheel or something similar and we and some other friends all played baldurs gate...Minsc: Squeaky wheel gets the kick...hmmm wonder why he's an x...heh heh heh...okay i'm stopping now...no seriously...i promise i'm gonna stop now)

15. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    'Go for the eyes Boo!! Go for the eyes'

:cool:

16. RayParkFan

RayParkFan Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2001
    simply the greatest dvd of all time. simply the greatest story ever written.....lucas doesnt hold a candle to the power of PJ.

17. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Ah, no. The DVD itself is rather disappointing, in my opinion. This wasn't unexpected, though, as the 4 disc is coming out. The extras for this set feel more like the things that weren't good enough to make the cut for the big set.

And I can't agree that LotR is better than Star Wars. I think Fellowship was better than Episode II, but SW as a whole blows LotR away. Yes, I know there are two more Rings movies coming out, but simply put, the story for SW is unbeatable, IMO. And we already know how Rings will end, just as we know how SW will end. SW is still king.

18. super_hyper_melanie

Oct 24, 2001
    i must agree with brandon that star wars is unbeatable...it's the ultimate force in the universe and nothing, not even lotr which is super fabulous and all....closest thing that's come to beating star wars for me personally is harry potter, but star wars will always be my first and ultimate love...lotr ranks bout the same as hp for me, they're even on the scale.

19. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    What's interesting about Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings is that the books for HP are always going to be better than the films, and the films for LotR are better than the books.

For me, at least, the Harry Potter books are some of, if not my complete favorite books of all time. They are masterfully written, and J.K. Rowling has created a universe that is completely unique, accesible to all, and wonderful to behold. The first film (and by all accounts, the second), is good, but it's not nearly as good as the books. They just can't cover everything in the time frame of a movie that needs to be in there.

On the other hand, I much prefer the way they're doing the movies of LotR better than the books. Tolkien was a master historian and linguist. He was a terrible novelist. I've always thought that the story of Lord of the Rings was incredible, but it was just very poorly told. The Rings novels are hard to follow, boring at times, and good dramatic elements are not portrayed as well as they should be. Great plot points, such as Aragorn's character, are much better portrayed in the movie than the book. For instance, in the Fellowship novel, Aragorn gets the reforged Narsil (sword of the King) when they get to Rivendell, and it's no big deal and he has no problem taking it. In the films, they are waiting until Return of the King to give Aragorn the sword, which is much better as it shows him to be a much more reluctant hero and leader. His character has to grow a lot in Fellowship and the Two Towers before he is ready to accept that he is strong, wise, and brave enough to be the high king of Gondor and not be a failure like Isildur, whos legacy haunts Aragorn.

And I also like how they've taken out some of the elements of the novels that I always felt dragged it down, such as the Tom Bombadil scenes and all of the blasted singing. But all in all, I think the Rings saga, when finished on film, will be far superior to the books.

And as far as Star Wars and LotR, I just don't understand the animosity between hardcore fans of each. I love each series, and I fully expect, when both are finished, that they will both hold the place of my two favorite movie franchises of all time. Yes, I think Star Wars is a little better, but that's not exactly taking away from Rings. They're both awesome, and there's certainly enough room for both in the world. Why not enjoy what both have to offer?

20. DarthRain

Jun 2, 2000
    Lucas doesn't hold a candle to the power of.....

pajamas ???

...friggin' lemming...

21. krwade3

krwade3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    Let Me just say that I saw LOTR for the First time last night. It was very good, but wasnt all the Eric made it out to be. I look forward to the next installment, But I expected more. I guess that what a Triology is all about. Keeping you interested but not giving you enough so that you are content with what you saw.

Red 5
    Poet In Motion

22. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    i think brandon has spent entirely too much time thinking about this.

23. RB-wan

RB-wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2000
    Saw FOTR on DVD last night. Looked pretty sweet, but ya know, it just kinda loses its majesty on a television screen. <g> That's not to say that I was tired of the thing. Not by a long shot. FOTR is STILL one of the THE best films I have seen....PERIOD.

The collector's box set is what I'm after though. Thirty additional minutes of movie? You bet, I'm there!

Bri

24. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Aw, come on, Stone. I've really been making an effort to say more with less lately. ;)

25. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    I actually wasn't going to by this release of FOTR, but somebody (I won't mention any names, but his initials are Chad Womack) told me that this is probably the only way that one can own the theatrical release of the film, so now it's been buzzing around in my head for a week.

Damn The Man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.