main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So CO How about our own web site?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Micah333, Aug 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Micah333

Micah333 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 13, 2002
    Okay...I have WAY to much time on my hands. I check the boards over a dozen times a day! Anyways, I would be willing to construct a site that the springs could use (like RMFF.net only with our creative name). Anyone for it? Against it? INPUT PLEASE...

2. DarthLeif

DarthLeif Jedi Youngling

Jul 31, 2002
    that would be a very cool idea but it cosots money for most websites

3. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Since we are part of the RMFF we can have a colorado springs site on that one. So it can be www.rmff.net/springs or cs. I will talk to Obi_wannabe about it.

And are you volunteering to be the web person for that Micah? I will tell Obi that too. :D But only when I get my computer all put together on Saturday. I'm signing off right now and putting it in boxes... :D

4. Micah333

Aug 13, 2002
    Yes, I am volunteering, but I would rather not have a be a DIRECT part of RMFF.net, unless I (and possible anyone else with no life) can update directly (FTP, etc.). If I understand correctly your just saying use their web space right?

<Taking a moment to shut up, think, and STOP typing>

If that is what you are saying, that would work out rather well.

5. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Well I run the Imperial outfitters www.rmff.net/costumes and I can ftp stuff up to it. It is a redirected subdomain. So I have a slightly different address to upload to and stuff. You get a cgi-bin and stuff like that. And it supports every kind of programing and stuff like that. A very high class web service we've got. We all had to chip in like ten bucks but it's all been paid off I think.

And what I am saying is that the Colorado Springs group is a subdivision of the RMFF a Colorado wide group. So we are all part of the same group. Now I can see some merits to the idea of us having our own web page, but we can post meeting info on the main rmff.net page too. And I can approve them for you since I am an admin for that page.

What kinds of things were you thinking about putting up there?

6. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Yeah i'd be happy to make a cs.rmff.net or coloradosprings.rmff.net or springs.rmff.net, whatever you guys want.

We have 500 megs and 15gb/month transfer, we're not even close to using that yet.

Micah could totally control the site, ftp access, your own cgi-bin, all Sarah just said.

Let me know what y'all decide.

7. Micah333

Aug 13, 2002
    Cool! Well, now I'll post a little more in detail to see if we're really looking for a springs site.

Features or Sections:

-HOME

-MEMBERS SECTION
    Meeting info, links to costuming help...

-NEWS
    I think our own site will encourage us to stand out in the FanForce, and therefore get a little more public recognition. There have got to be many more Star Wars fans in the Springs, let's get them in!!!

-EVEMTS
    This will provide a definite spot for events that are SET IN STONE. Plain and simple, in black and white. Also, there can be more detail about the events without reading a million posts.

-MEMBERS
    I, for one, want to know who is an active member in the FanForce. Along with pics, nicknames, and a bio, how about the number of meetings attended???

-MESSAGE BOARD
    We'll see if I can get one of our own up and running...

-PHOTO GALLERY
    Individual photo sections for our members (unless we grow a whole lot). Otherwise, organized categories and easy browsing of people in the Springs.

-LINKS
    Links for newcomers wanted to be obsessed

-JOIN US
    It is kind of unclear how to join. With a new members form we can get names and stuff, again, to ensure an accurate members list.

-FAQ

-CONTACT US

Sorry about the LONG post. What do you guys think this time around?

8. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Well I honestly think that currently the site that is set up works for both CS and Denver. We could set up a recruitment site or something like that. Or maybe something that has the CS members... how about an e-zine or something like that too? And for those costume links, you'll link to Imperial Outfitters right? *Gives him a dangerous look* ;)

9. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I think the news, events, photos, and message board should just be the ones on the main site...not really any point in doubling up on there...then we'd have 4 message boards for the RMFF...

I think cs.rmff.net would be the good domain name (I was actually gonna suggest it but Michael already did).

Keep something in mind here Micah. We ARE part of the RMFF...we can be our own group, but we're still part of the bigger group.

10. Miccu_Resea

Miccu_Resea Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Well, if you think that was a long post, you should check out the Role playing forum...they have doozies here...

When does school start up for you anyway... ;)

Think of it thisway--the Rocky mountain FanForce is the force in general. We are the dark side [face_devil] we are a group of the force, but we still are the force. That is the way i want to keep it...

But if you want that on the web site then go ahead. I am in favor for letting people in the springs know that we are here... [face_devil]

oh, and P.S.-Have fun Sarah! we will miss you!

11. Micah333

Aug 13, 2002
    I started school last Tuesday.

About the being part of RMFF, I know. The sub-division type thingy I'm talking about is exactly like the 501st. The Mountain Garrison > Pikes Peak Squad. We are like the PPS. All 3 (501st, MG, & PPS) have their own sites...

12. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Here is the design guide I wrote for the Interest Group websites:

Your group leader will get an ftp login and password that will allow access to just your site.
    Your site has it's own CGI-BIN folder so you can use scripts, please use the images folder for graphics.
    Have links somewhere to the main site, the other group sites, and the jedicouncil board.
    Have the copywrite notice about Lucasfilm images on all pages.
    Make sure you still post gatherings and events on the main site news.
    If you need a discussion forum, use the ones on the main site.
    Don't setup anything that requires another name and password. Most people don't need another.
    I'll provide technical assistance to anyone who asks, but otherwise you're free to make the site anything you want use anyone for the design.
    Don't do anything to crash the server.
    Don't do anything that will get us (or me) in trouble, I do enough of that already.

After you guys have your next meeting, i'll setup the subdomain and a name and password for your City Rep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.