main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How do you rate the WNU forums?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Sith9211, Nov 6, 2003.

?

How do you rate the WNU forums?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. It's completely bogus!

11.1%
  2. It's poor!

7.4%
  3. It's fair!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It's okay!

3.7%
  5. It's good!

7.4%
  6. It's great!

3.7%
  7. It's excellent!

11.1%
  8. IT IS THE BEST FORUM FOR NEWBIES!!!

55.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith9211

Sith9211 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 23, 2003
  2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I haven't voted, but it's good for what it is. It lets people get into a set pattern and style here. I just wonder how many people who post "I'm new" threads ultimately stick around, since so few new posters actually do start "I'm new" threads. It also seems that something of a WNU Clique has developed in here, and I wonder if that turns people off who do come here first, because it's hard to join anything where cliques are already established.

Amazing.

3. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Wow. amazing actually had a serious reply. My life is complete.

4. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    AmazingB: "It also seems that something of a WNU Clique has developed in here, and I wonder if that turns people off who do come here first, because it's hard to join anything where cliques are already established."

:confused: Really? I thought if anything more users would love to hang about within a forum that shows family type relationships and bonding. In truth its not really cliches, but a small grouped caring Oldbie family devoted to helping others out :D .

As so I voted "IT IS THE BEST FORUM FOR NEWBIES!!!" ;)

5. Jedi-Washington

Jedi-Washington Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    Its good, but its not THAT good...no offense to anyone :)

6. padawanskywalker

padawanskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    I voted for, IT'S THE BEST FORUM FOR NEWBIES!

7. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Jedi-Washington: "Its good, but its not THAT good...no offense to anyone :) "

No offense taken, may I please speak with you outside however? [face_mischief]

8. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001
    Well, I think that out of the forums we have, this is the best one for newbies, so that's what I voted for.

I don't think it's perfect, though. I agree with JW - it's fine, but could be better.
    As you might know, I'm working on a few improvements - informational threads etc. (yes, I know that I'm slow), but I'd love to hear your ideas of what else could be improved. :)

Amazing, interesting point.
    Over the last two years, there's always been a 'clique' in WNU, consisting of different people at different times (most leave/move on to other forums after a few months). And I do think that a little 'community feeling' is necessary to keep some oldbies/midbies in the forum - we need some people to welcome the newbies, after all. But if you think it's scaring off the new members... well, that would be quite counterproductive. Do you have any suggestions on how to make threads more welcoming?

9. Jedi_Benji

Jedi_Benji Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2002
    Its Bogus til i reach Mod status :D :D

Kiddin ;)

10. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    Do you have any suggestions on how to make threads more welcoming?

Honestly, I don't, which is part of the reason why I didn't vote one way or the other. This is clearly the best forum for newbies, because it caters to them. It allows them to make mistakes without people jumping down their throats as in the JCC, it allows them to ask questions, learn the standards of the JC, and so forth.

Obviously you know more than I do about the history of cliques in this forum, it's just something I've recently noticed as I started posting here again a few weeks ago. One of the reasons some people find it hard to be "someone" in the JCC is there are cliques all over the place. It's a large forum and it's hard to get yourself noticed. Unless you're really funny, really smart, or the biggest fool of all time, you're going to have a hard time making a name for yourself in there. And while that shouldn't be anyone's goal for posting here, no one wants to post somewhere if they're ignored, either.

I don't necessarily see that happening in here, as it's much smaller, and there's really just one clique. I'd be really interested to know how many people who start threads in here stick around and what they think of their "I'm new" threads, whether or not they had any impact on staying. Naturally this won't paint a great picture, as people who don't stick around won't really be able to give their side, what with them not being here.

Anyway, that's just some idle musings. Ultimately, I pretty much think those who stay are going to stay because they like what they see and unless people are actively hostile in "I'm new" threads, which I've never seen outside the JCC, I don't think that'll impact them one way or the other.

So basically, I think I just completely contradicted my previous post.

Amazing.

11. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    It's good. :)

12. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    Very helpful..for me when I just started :)

13. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    Yeah, especially that place called, "Newbie Adoptions" 8-}

I heard their Coordinational Team is the bomb! ;)

14. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    Out of 10 newbies per month, what do you people think is the average number that stay and post?

15. Jedi-Washington

Aug 3, 2003
    I cant really say...mabey 6, or less. I think Benji is doing an exparament on that, so you might want to ask him. :)

and Yes, strid. They are dah Bomb :p

As far as dicussion goes, I think this place just needs to be advertized a little more. I dont really see it being advertized very often. I stumbled accross it when I accedentally hit the "go" button on the little scroll thingy up top, and it brought me here. I didnt think that it was an acctual forum. This place does have its own gang of people, and I wish that it would be bigger. out of the many people that used to be productive here, not many remain. This place doesnt have as big a group as it has, even for the little time that I have been here. This place needs a little work with informational treads, and such. but there arent exacatically many people with the time to put such things together...we Will have to see what Happens. I like this place, and I hope it stays around. :)

16. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    goodfellas: "Out of 10 newbies per month, what do you people think is the average number that stay and post?"

Well, in some cases like 05 out of 10. However, in most cases it appears to be like every 04 out of 10 actually stay here at the Jedi Council Forums :( .

However, that number has been able to surpise us most of the time ;) .

17. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    do you even know what bogus means???

Really? I thought if anything more users would love to hang about within a forum that shows family type relationships and bonding. In truth its not really cliches, but a small grouped caring Oldbie family devoted to helping others out .

You are wrong. It is exactly as AmazingB said. You are wrong.

I think there are too many people that are wanna b mods in here, and like to use mark-ups, and many other things.

18. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I voted that it's the best forum for newbies,because that's what it is.It's probably not anyone's "Favorite forum" Becuase there's not any SW disscussion,but I think it's extremly good for newbies. :) I agree though,more info threads would be nice.It would cut down on the number of threads to derect people too. :)

I think there are too many people that are wanna b mods in here, and like to use mark-ups, and many other things.

I can't speak for everyone,but I have no intention of becoming a mod when I post in here,and I'm sure lots of people don't have that intention eather.but,like I said.I can't speak for everyone. :)

19. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    -Lord-Vader-: "I think there are too many people that are wanna b mods in here, and like to use mark-ups, and many other things."

I tend to disagree, if anything this is the perfect place to test mark-up codes and just have fun, well also meeting newer members and welcoming them :D .

I don't think anyone within these forums wishes to be a Moderator only due to the fact that mostly other then the usuals, many of them are newer members whom have little knowledge of this place in the first place! 8-}

20. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    just stop talking strid. just stop talking...

21. Morgaine

Morgaine Ex-Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 2001

[i]It's probably not anyone's "Favorite forum"...[/i][hr][/blockquote]Well, it's [u]my[/u] favourite. ;) Has been for more than two and a half year, ever since I first came here. (Not as a newbie, ironically.) I know many people think it's boring and always the same, but I do like it. It's nice to meet new people and help them getting started, and it's probably the forum with the most friendly atmosphere I've ever seen. And that's why I love coming back here every day. :)

But I digress.

[blockquote][hr][i]I think there are too many people that are wanna b mods in here, and like to use mark-ups, and many other things.[/i][hr][/blockquote]I agree that certain people's posts were hardly readable anymore ;), but the problem with the markup codes has been addressed before, and I believe it's a lot better now that it used to be.
    And this forum is meant to be a "testing ground", so what would be a better place to try out all the markups? I know I used them quite a bit myself when I was new.

[blockquote][hr][i]Out of 10 newbies per month, what do you people think is the average number that stay and post? [/i][hr][/blockquote] Interesting question, but one that I can't answer, I'm afraid. As JW mentioned, [b]Jedi_Benji[/b] is doing an experiment to find out this exact thing - he randomly chose a number of newbies to watch their posting career. The experiment started only recently though, so I'm afraid there are not many results yet. But he should be able answer that better than I can. ;)

Additionally, next time I delete a bunch of old threads, I'm going to check profiles to see how many of the newbies are still around after three months. I'm curious, too.

[blockquote][hr][i]Well, in some cases like 05 out of 10. However, in most cases it appears to be like every 04 out of 10 actually stay here at the Jedi Council. Forums[/i][hr][/blockquote] I'm curious, where do you get these numbers from? ?:| As far as I know, no one has ever investigated this matter before, so please point me to your source...

[blockquote][hr][i]As far as dicussion goes, I think this place just needs to be advertized a little more. I dont really see it being advertized very often. I stumbled accross it when I accedentally hit the "go" button on the little scroll thingy up top, and it brought me here. I didnt think that it was an acctual forum. This place does have its own gang of people, and I wish that it would be bigger. out of the many people that used to be productive here, not many remain. This place doesnt have as big a group as it has, even for the little time that I have been here. This place needs a little work with informational treads, and such. but there arent exacatically many people with the time to put such things together...we Will have to see what Happens. I like this place, and I hope it stays around.[/i][hr][/blockquote] Well, advertisements are not allowed at the JC. But if you have any ideas how to attract more visitors, I'd love to hear them!

Regarding the informational threads: you know I agree that they need work, and that I actually started working on them. But my time is limited, so it will take a while. Unless someone helps me. *hint hint*

And as long as I'm here this place will stay around, don't worry!

[blockquote][hr][i]Obviously you know more than I do about the history of cliques in this forum, it's just something I've recently noticed as I started posting here again a few weeks ago. One of the reasons some people find it hard to be "someone" in the JCC is there are cliques all over the place. It's a large forum and it's hard to get yourself noticed. Unless you're really funny, really smart, or the biggest fool of all time, you're going to have a hard time making a name for yourself in there. And while that shouldn't be anyone's goal for posting here, no one wants to post somewhere if they're ignored, either. [/i][hr][/blockquote] I don't think that's a contradiction of your previous post, and I'm glad you brought it up. It's often hard to see if a clique becomes too close-knit when

22. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    i must say that i am impressed by the WNU forums. this is a very well-constructed forum with an incredibly welcoming atmosphere. Plus, i've submitted like 1000 ideas here, none of which have been responded with, "dude, please".

:D
    and it helps when Morgaine has the best icon in the history of the JCC.

23. Jedi-Washington

Aug 3, 2003
      Well, advertisements are not allowed at the JC. But if you have any ideas how to attract more visitors, I'd love to hear them!

I know they arnt allowd. I was refering to the fact that I dont see any links to it in most forums or people directing others too it. I ment that it is just not well known around the JC.

Regarding the informational threads: you know I agree that they need work, and that I actually started working on them. But my time is limited, so it will take a while. Unless someone helps me. *hint hint*

I will help, but I have the same problem. Time is short this time of year...Im trying to revise my map, with some colors and more info about each place, and include a few fan force stoofs, but I keep getting away from the computer. Ill see what I can do, but Im not sure what else you want me to do. :)

24. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    Well, it's my favourite. Has been for more than two and a half year, ever since I first came here.

That's cool,I was just guessing. :) It's not my very favorite,but still,I think it's a great forum.and a great place for people to learn.Actully,I would have found it really helpful when I was new.I just didn't know it was here. ;)

25. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    But if you have any ideas how to attract more visitors, I'd love to hear them!

The Welcome subgroup is already the first on the list of the JC mainpage (Favorites notwithstanding), so there's not much else to do. Unless it's possible to link to the Welcome Forum on the registration page or something, but I haven't registered in a long time, so I don't even remember what it looks like or if there already is a link there. But a quick check through the System Stats shows that of most users who register, very few post in here. Of course, many of them are socks, and many are also likely just people who want to lurk. And even more still are probably people who don't wish to "demean" themselves by posting in here.

We've been working relatively close together lately, but we need to remember again that this place is not our playing-ground, but a place for new members, and they must feel comfortable in here.

That's very true. And so long as people use it and use it the way it's intended, this forum does its job.

Amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.