main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary How many people are interested in helping with a fan film.

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Holocron1, Nov 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holocron1

Holocron1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2002
    Just wanted to get a show of hands, still trying to too see what kind of special fx we can pull off and the script isnt done yet. I have some dedicated core people and mainly looking for actors, animators basicly anyone is welcome. :) I would like to shoot around early summer. Anyone interested?

2. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    A while back, a few of the members here were intersted in making a fanfilm.

3. Fipe_Naz-mero

Fipe_Naz-mero Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    Dear Members of the Council:
    Let me raise my hand as a possible help, though there's a slight chance that I might be call away for a couple of months... away for Clone War's Training. Hard and difficult the training is. Fear I will feel. I'll do, I won't try.

I'll begin doing some physical training also soon, to see how good I can be with my lightsabers. Mainly it will be alone.

New things are comming into the horizon, and deep though in the Force I must do. Decisions to make, and situations to comfront. Easy pray for the Dark Side of the Force become can I. Deep meditation in the Force do I will.

Ehh! ?[face_plain] Did someone understood? Hehe!

Simple words, I'll be going out but I will keep my interest in the film. I will try to work on my cheap and low skills with the lightsaber to become a little better. Please, do not count me out. I'm williing to work from the outside, even doing some of the writing.

May the Force be with you... always.
    Fipe Naz-Mero, JK
    USA-NE REGION
    MAYRLAND FAN FORCE COUNCIL FORUM
    CALIFORNIA MD

4. JORJ_CARDAS

JORJ_CARDAS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2002
    Depending on filming location...I'm game.

-jorj

5. darth_zam

darth_zam Jedi Youngling

Sep 19, 2002
    I'd love to be involved.

6. Holocron1

Holocron1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2002
    Cool, im still working on the script. I kinda envisioned this as more of a web show then a film in the sense that whole movie is split into parts. Ofcourse we'll shoot everything at once. So im writting the script in parts wich seems to be pretty helpful.

The story takes pace 5000 years before the battle of yavin, just before the Sith invade for the first time. I was hoping to get some oppinions, good or bad, on my story so far so I posted the first part.
    http://members.verizon.net/~vze4fmcb/OldRepublic1.doc
    I didnt wanna post everything just yet.

7. Fipe_Naz-mero

Feb 4, 2002
    Holocron1:
    I'll take a look at your writing. I'll send you later on an opinion of how it looks and if there are any changes. Also if possible I'll try to lend you some of the scenes I wrote for the original film.

I'll try to get back to you before Thanksgiving. Since I'll be out of reach.

Fipe Naz-Mero, JK
    USA-NE REGION
    MARYLAND FAN FORCE COUNCIL FORUM
    CALIFORNIA MD

8. Takwolf

Takwolf Jedi Master star 2

May 9, 2002
    I am in
    Digital Cam at the ready

Tak

9. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Hey Tak, I was interested in getting a digital camera. What kind is yours, and do you recommend it?

10. Eva_Pilot04

Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Knight star 7

Nov 15, 2001
    Hrmmm. I've always wanted to see some sort of fanfilm set in the TOTJ era. This could be interesting.

Eva is my name. I am the Admin's Bane

11. Holocron1

Holocron1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2002
    I havent read any of the comics from the TOTJ era, I got most of my information from the rpg Dark Side source book from WOTC. I like this era cause there are a ton of Jedi and alot of room for originality. I like having alot of characters cause that enables us to tell multiple stories at once. Im working on a small webpage to put all of my ideas, current revisions of the script and other junk. I just put up a lightsaber test me and friend did a couple months ago on his digital still cam. We have access to one digital camcorder but its owner is often busy so alternatives are defintaly appreciated.

FX TEst
    P.S Im the guy with red one :)

12. Fipe_Naz-mero

Feb 4, 2002
    Holocron1:
    I'm sorry that I've not been able to get back to you with my reading. I'll try to do it during this week.

Fipe Naz-Mero, JK
    USA-NE REGION
    MARYLAND FAN FORCE COUNCIL FORUM
    CALIFORNIA MD

13. Holocron1

Holocron1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2002
    Take your time, i have been dying for some outside opinions. This project may be too big, but I figure having a script around never hurt.

14. Fipe_Naz-mero

Feb 4, 2002
    Holocron1:
    Thanks for the support. I'm enclosing part of one of my ideas for a possible scene. It can be changed if needed. But I need someone to read it and give their opinion.

Here it goes... all for nothing.

Dear Members:
    Here is part of my idea for the film. This scene will involve the Jedi Padawan and the Sith Apprentice in an incredible fight.

Characters:
    Geen Tobar: Human, Jedi Apprentice
    Hoctumar Marcloon: Human, Sith Apprentice
    Ambassador Proliut Caskassi: Alien (Not decided yet)

Place:
    City - Napusoliria
    Planet (Not decided yet)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~0~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My grain of sand to contribute to the plot of the movie.

1. Ambassador Caskassi returns to the planet (not yet determine) to inspect process of change of leaders.

2. Hoctumar is send to destroy the Jedi that came with the Ambassador to protect them.

3. A plot to kill the Ambassador is revealed

4. Hoctumar fights Geen Tobar in a real battle. Hoctumar ends mortally wounded, Geen ends with a bad injury in his arm... but survives.

5. Geen's Jedi Master (Any of the characters you had in mind) and the other Jedi Knight, engage in a battle to defend the Ambassador front Aassasin droind inside the Council Chamber (or someplace else).

6. Both Jedi, Master and Knight, learned about Geen's battle and injuries. A Sith Master is present.

7. Both of them battle the Sith Master....

The climate had turned humid. The heat caused by it could only mean one thing, rain. The sky was already becoming dark by the clouds forming. Geen Tobar, a Jedi apprentice, walked the street slowly. He looked at the top of the buildings, sensing with the Force, looking for any trace of Hoctumar Marcloon. Hoctumar was a Sith apprentice, responsible for the death of many civilians. Also it was suspected that his Master (Mogook?s Character), was responsible for a plot to kill Ambassador Proliut Caskassi.

Ambassador Caskassi had been the main supporter of the Free Market Law that reigned in this city of Napusoliria. He had shown interest in this city after the many rumours of intrigue, corruption, crime and unlawfulness that kept citizens on the edge. He had shown strength, knowledge, and character by fighting this government. He had come with the mission of supervising the ongoing process of changing the political leaders.

Geen Tobar was a young man, short in stature but tall in principles. He had begun the training for Jedi Knight for some years now. But he had declined the final examination because he wanted to learn more about the Force through the tutelage from the academy in Yavin IV. He came from the region or Corellia, but his family was originally from Tatooine. He had black hair, that he kept short. His brown eyes were sincere but serious. He liked to wear goggles to improve his vision and to protect his eyes. He had decided to wear black clothes as part of his leaning process. Black made him to be more comfortable and allow him to camouflage better at night.

He entered an ally full of wood and metal crates that the market commerce used to import their goods. The ally was dark due to the clouds in the sky. A light rain began to fall as he took three steps into the ally. He opened his senses to the Force. He filled his being with the Light and extended his senses away. But he found what he was looking for. Rain stopped at that precise moment. He had found the Sith Apprentice.

Hoctumar was sitting in a crate at the other side of the ally. He also wore black clothes, but their capes and materials were different. Hoctumar?s black clothes and cape were made of expensive material. On the other hand, the Jedi Padawan?s were made of humble cheap clothes. Hoctumar stood and bow gently to the Jedi.

?Welcome, Jedi. Welcome to the place that will become your tomb.? The Dark Side Apprentice stood tall again and jumped from the crate to the ground. He undid his cape and threw it on top of a crate. He had his lightsaber in his hand and turned it on. He lowered his blade allowing the Jedi to see his face.

?Wh

15. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    Yeah, we tried to do a fanfilm, but with people's schedules and participation in the film dropping, it didn't fly. If we are to try to do a fanfilm, we should create a checklist or schedule of events and timelines as to when things are to be done. I think the last time we jumped the gun on many things and didn't really stick to a set plan. We had too many people contributing to a script and not enough people pushing production.

Since this is your baby Holocron1, you should be appointed the supervisor of this film and you are the final approving authority for anything contributing to the film. Whatever you say goes!

Now, having said that, you are now responsible for creating a schedule for when you would like the film to begin and when it will be completed by. This will give everyone involved a timeline and they can work it out when they are able to contribute to the film. Last time we had set dates and people were not able to take part because of personal responsibilities such as family or work. The timeline you create will give them a chance to do their part with plenty of time to complete it.

If we stick to the timeline that you give us, I think we should have no problem in making a great fanfilm and having it done within a short time as well.

I can help out on special effects. Your test shoot looked great! I am capable of rotoscoping in adobe Photoshop as well as adobe premier 6.0. I also can do sound effects.

So lead us oh great Holocron1 and we will humbly follow you into fanfilm glory!

16. Holocron1

Holocron1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2002
    Thats pretty good writting Fipe, you have some creative stuff there. I dont think it will mesh well with my story but like you said things can be changed and worked out.

In my story, the Jedi are mostly oblivious to the Sith Empire building beyond the fringes of known Republic space. This is also 5000 years before the battle of Yavin, so not all the SW planets we know about have been discovered.

I would like to start shooting my movie end of May early June. There will be alot of work to be done in the meantime though.

January- I would like to have the script finalized and ready to be posted for everyone.

Feb- I want to have some concept art for ships, Also I hope to be able to do some FX tests. Bluescreening, LS effects and sound effects. If possable I would like to have a storyboard so we know exactly what each shot will look like. Begin scouting locations to shoot. Begin thinking about sets and our budget(if any)

Mar- Continue Feb stuff and cast the movie.
    Start working with actors and blocking scenes. Begin collecting props and costumes.

Apr- Lightsaber Coriography and more practice. Ship designs and other art finalized and approved for CG modeling.
    Hope to have costumes for everyone, and props too by now.

May- More LS practice(cant get enough)finalize set designes and make any other finalizations. Depending on our progress thus far I would like to begin filming this month.

Jun- Finish shooting the film. All of june may be necessary.

Jul- Begin post production

Thats my rough schedule. Obviously this would be my ideal schedule and I know this wont run as smoothly as planned.

17. mon-mothma

mon-mothma Jedi Master star 2

Mar 7, 2002
    If I may insert some thoughts into this thread; I orginally decided I wouldn't touch this one with a ten foot pole because we've just recently had such a negative experience with trying to make a fan film, but I'm going to speak my piece after all.

>>>We had too many people contributing to a script and not enough people pushing production.<<<

I guess my take on this is that I certainly felt as though I was pushing the production of the previous fan film, but there's only so much pushing you can do to grown men and women who have other committments, jobs, school, family, etc. Plus, of course nobody is drawing a salary on this thing so it's just another drain on their personal time. One or two people stuck in this thing with us (i.e., came to every meeting, participated and did their parts) and most others never showed up at the majority of fan film meetings. Not much you can do when people don't show up to meetings. I'm not making this up; it happened. Could be our project just wasn't good enough and Holocron's will blow everyone away and inspire dedication 24/7. If so, that's great; I wish you well.

>>>>you are the final approving authority for anything contributing to the film. Whatever you say goes<<<<

Back to that grown men and women thing; we had some very strong personalities participating in our film and I would not make the blanket assumption that any one person's word is easily taken as the rule of law in a voluntary activity. These folks don't actually work for you; they are working WITH you and as such (at least in my experience) had a true sense of co-ownership on every part of the production of the film. That sounds great on paper but when it comes time to make things happen you end up with bickering and divisiveness and in our case it killed the project. Everyone thought that their idea was the best idea and what happened is that it crushed all ideas. I would advise that if Holocron is to be the film's leader then everyone participating in the production with him needs to agree up front that his word is THE word otherwise you'll end up spinning your wheels just as we did, getting a bunch of hurt feelings, misunderstandings and resentment.

I guess its kind of hard to read this thread because the spectacular failure of our film project is still relatively fresh. I wish you all the luck but I've gotta say that I would not elect to participate in anything like a fan film again; it was just too hard and too frustrating and too hurtful. Making a film is the ultimate collaborative art form and it's not something that should be done lightly. Maybe I expected too much or did not offer enough but all I can say is that we felt very let down and the disappointment after such a hopeful beginning was tough to take.

M.M.

18. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    M.M. you?re absolutely right about getting people in synch when doing a project of this magnitude. It seemed to me as the fanfilm meetings progressed that too many people wanted to give their input to a script that you and your son had already made. I was just at the meetings to see how things were progressing as far as actually doing the shooting. My part was only to do special effects and I didn't really need to attend any meetings for the script or acting parts, I just wanted to know what effects we needed to incorporate in the film. It just seemed that people wanted to do the film their way and not the other's way and there was conflict. Nobody was to blame for how the fanfilm turned into a bust. We just got too far ahead of ourselves to really make things work and alot of people, including myself, were confused as to what direction we were going. I guess that if another fanfilm is to be made, then the ones doing the script and the ones acting in the movie should really be able to take time out from their personal commitments and get together and be able to really work well with each other. If we can get past that first hurdle, then everything else should be smooth sailing. So like I said, the only thing I want to do is the effects so whatever we need to do to get a fanfilm going, I'm all for it.

19. Holocron1

Holocron1 Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2002
    I hope I havent stepped on anyone's toes by posting here about my fanfilm. I didnt realize how sensitive the subject was. As far as organization goes, im hopping to take care of most of the script writting myself. Im not afraid to protect the core elements of my story but im definatly open to new ideas,changes or additions.

It sounds like the last project was too dependent on the help of strangers. This project was originally intended for me and my friends. I didnt know about the MDFF and I think it would awesome to get help from you guys. I had also intended to double cast some parts due to lack of actors, but here I can get people who are starwars fans and want to do it as much as I do.

I know most people have lives, but im a student and outside school I have no life so you can be darn sure you will have a director that will be putting his time and effort to getting things done. I havent decided where we are going to meet but it will be after the new year. Probably in the Anne Arundel county area. I guess we'll see how things go.

For now, anyone like to draw space ships?

20. Fipe_Naz-mero

Feb 4, 2002
    Holocron1:
    I have some drawings that I have from my personal Star Wars novel. They include at least one new fighter for the Republic, one for the "Empire" and one freighter for the freelance. They are not work of arts as I wanted them to be, they are outlines only.

M.M. : Your words speak only the truth, and that's a reality that can't be block as if you tried to block the sun with just one hand. Yes, many things did not go well for our first time. Maybe if we try to integrate all efforts we can have an outcome. Since this film is being, lets say "hosted" by Holocron1, maybe we can take the opportunity and develope some experience from it and at the same time help him.

I know that there was a lot of effort and work done for the film we tried. And I won't hide neither deny that I wasn't present in all meetings. Is just like I posted when they where taling about reorganizing the Council. Most of the meetings took place on Saturdays that I had committed to the defense of our nation through the Air National Guard. It has been hard for me to skip the meetings which I loved. If there were done at different days I would have been there, and I would have given my help for something else.

I would like to take this opportunity and say that the group of people we have gather through the Maryland Force, has been an outstanding group. I have been in other different groups, and this withdrawl we are experiencing is common. Is something that time takes care of it and determination. So, let re-light the sprak within ourselves and work towards a common goal.

"We need to unite and be one with the Force." Excerpt from the Writtings on the Main Chamber Wall

As for the effort that you and your son did, they don't get fogotten. Actually I've been thinking about it, and I thought that maybe is time that we try to give this idea a second look. But with a timeframe and a schedule that can benefit everyone. If Hollywod productions take 1-2 years in the making, and is only for 1.5 hours of movie, we could take the same amount of time. I'm not saying that we are going to , but that we could.

Everyone: I'm interested in working for a film, doesn't matter which one. I'm all for it. But like I said before, it needs to be planned. I know that I'm strong in writing, that's why I offer my services there. I like to be useful in what I'm good at. I don't know a lot about SFX, but I can learn. I don't know about Post-prod, but I can help with the scenary. I might not be very good with my English, while talking... but surely I can act better than that. I might not be an expert with the lightsaber, though I practice, but I like to meditate on the Force.

Fipe Naz-Mero, JK
    USA-NE REGION
    MARYLAND FORCE COUNCIL FORUM
    CALIFORNIA MD

21. kasjedi

kasjedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2002
    I was also going to stay away from the thread, but I do have two pieces of advice.

Holocron - it's YOUR film... don't let it become an entrangled group project. Finish your script, ask a good friend to read it for plot/dialogue/storyline, and ask another good friend to read it for "doability" - meaning can we shoot this location, do this effect, etc and then say to everyone - "This is the script we will shoot - end of story." And then seek your actors, set your schedule, and tell people when you need them and where.... (obviously, you can change a few things later, but you have to get started at some point.)

In addition to the script fiasco (we HAD a complete one....), while it seemed like we would have the technical production help, we seemed to have trouble recruiting actors. I'd suggest making sure you really have some commitment from a few friends....

kasjedi

22. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Holocron1,

Don't take offense to the harsh responses to doing a fan film in this thread. Its not your fault; you didn't know what happened with our film project.

Personally, I was more disappointed with the sharp loss of participants for whatever reason that occurred in such a short time. I thought we were on our way to production. We had a script that was good, albeit short.

I just hope we can re-start production sometime in the future with Danny's screenplay.

23. DarthMaulchael

DarthMaulchael Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2002
    Holocron: I"m game! I'm only 15, but I have some filmaking experience, I've done a couple of prmotional vids for people and am currently in the making of "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. (probably TMI, but that's ok...) I'm willing to help out any way I can, as I need to have as many credits as I can for college. (Film college, that is :D ) Like I said, I'm only 15, so I probably will not be allowed to act, but I will if needed! I can also work on an editing team. I have experience with that too. Just letting you know I am available.

24. Mogook

Nov 14, 2001
    Holocron, how long did it take you to do the fx for your clip? And what program/method did you use?

25. gh0stdevil

gh0stdevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    I tend to think a fiasco is caused by people who are trying to make something not work, or some other sort of malicious intent.

As far as I know, there was no malicious intent to screw up our previous project.

<b>However, what there was, was perceptions not meeting reality.</b>

The first thing you need to do with a fanfilm is decide which of the two main fanfilms you're going to have: one that strives to make it to festivals, one that would be worthy of a fanfilm contest that Lucas had earlier, etc. OR...one that is just fun among friends, and is sort of a hobby off the side of work.

The first type is MUCH harder to do, more expensive, etc, and the second is nice because you don't have any of the pressures.

Our problem was that we did NOT define which type we wanted to film. We had the first type in mind, but we were treating it like the second type. That was our ultimate downfall.

But I'm discouraged at the fact that people are calling it a fiasco, it makes it sound like the lead actress was fooling around with the foley artist, and so everyone found out and there was a big press conference, and....

Please. Let's be realistic. Adult schedules (as MM points out) + mixed perceptions (and everyone not being on the same page as far as expectations) = no fanfilm.

Holocron, I think the most wise thing that's been said to you here is: RECRUIT actors. If we had a sudden influx of actors to our fanfilm, I THINK we would have done much better. It might have spurred us to push the project that much more.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.