main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

How Much Time Do You Spend Gaming?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 17, 2012.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though not directly related to my ongoing backlog project (though perhaps at the core of why it needed to exist in the first place), I'm curious how much do you play in a given week?

How do you balance that with other forms of entertainment? ie: if you're gaming a lot, do you find yourself watching a lot less TV/reading fewer books/using the net less (other than for game-related usage)?

Do you tend to spread it out each day across any given week, or concentrate it in a larger block of time on a single day or two?

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It generally depends on whether or not I have something new: if I do, I'll be playing it every available moment until it's done. If I don't, maybe an hour or so a day, during the weeks I feel like it.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I might game for a few hours a day if I have a new game to play. Otherwise not much, maybe an hour or two in the week.

4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Too much. Way, way, way too much. Just today I stayed up for far too long last night and early this morning reinstalling Total Annihilation and trying to get a feel for it.

5. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    This is what I do, too. Right now I'm playing Guild Wars 2 all evening on weekdays and nearly all day on weekends. Once the shine wears off, though, I'll probably play for one or two hours a day.

As for balancing with other forms of entertainment, there's not much to balance because all forms of entertainment has the same value to me - it's not as if I'm all like 'I must spend an hour watching tv or my day is incomplete'. If I have a new book or tv series, gaming falls to the wayside until I'm done with that, too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well with the balance question, I guess the way I see it, there's only a finite amount of free time to go around each day for entertainments, depending on work schedules, classes, other commitments, etc.

Often it might only be a few hours- so if I'm using those hours for gaming then i'm pushing something else off to accumulate. Go vice versa too often and I end up with my backlog.

7. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    That's true, but I guess I view my 'entertainment time' bucket as comprised of roughly equivalent things. It's not a problem for me if I spend all my entertainment time playing a videogame and thus have no time to read a book, so long as it doesn't eat into the other time buckets. The book gets read eventually.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

8. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I had a period a few years back where I was tired of gaming and had become more of a movie buff. Then I realised that my problem was just that I wasn't buying new games. So I did. And now I almost never watch movies. All my entertainment is games. Coincidentally, I do have less free time now than I did before as well, so it's easier to take a short hour-long session of play with the occasional interruptions than to commit to the runtime of a film. My problem now, though, is that too many games pique my interest for me to make it through all of them. I have a gigantic backlog of PS3 games I want to get through, in addition to older games for PS2 and GameCube that for various reasons I didn't start up on or finish.

The issue is prioritizing. The last thing one wants to schedule is one's free leisure time. One already makes schedules for all the important things in the day. You don't want to be making schedules for the entertainment time as well. But that's really what one has to do, like T2Q's backlog thread. I find myself playing and replaying games that are fun to me now, which keeps me from playing other new games that I haven't begun on yet. I should manage my time to play more varied.

I spend more or less an hour a day on gaming.