main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Hurricane Sandy

Discussion in 'Community' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Oct 27, 2012.

1. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    He's a Mets fan so he can deal with disasters fine.

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Can we throw tomatoes (or shoes) at this guy already???

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/ex-fema-director-michael-brown-criticizes-obama-reacting-202803013.html

Ex-FEMA director Michael Brown criticizes Obama for reacting too quickly to storm

Former FEMA director Michael Brown, who was heavily criticized for the agency's failure to prepare for Hurricane Katrina, has criticized President Obama for responding to Hurricane Sandy too early.

In an interview with Denver Westword, Brown said, "One thing [President Obama's] gonna be asked is, why did he jump on [Hurricane Sandy] so quickly and go back to D.C. so quickly when in ... Benghazi, he went to Las Vegas? Why was this so quick? ... At some point, somebody's going to ask that question."

Brown said the president may have had a more positive effect had he waited until Sunday afternoon to address the storm instead of holding a press conference that morning.

Brown's insinuation that Obama responded too early is a gutsy move considering his role in the 2005 disaster. Brown, who was famously called "Brownie" by President George W. Bush, was seen as a symbol of government failure to protect and evacuate people from the path of Katrina.

In emails he wrote that later became public, Brown came off as inexperienced and uncaring. On the morning of the hurricane, Brown wrote, "Can I quit now? Can I come home?" to Cindy Taylor, FEMA's deputy director of public affairs. Later, in a separate email, he wrote, "I'm trapped now, please rescue me."​

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Wow. Just wow. I really have no words for that.

On the disaster front itself, CNN is reporting that JFK airport will be open to incoming flights at 6am tomorrow morning.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dark Lady Mara and Juliet316 like this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I kinda sorta mostly like Chris Christie. Maybe possibly.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I won't go so far as to say that I like him, but I appreciate him. He's straightforward, and one almost never sees that in a politician.

There was another hurricane that hit New Jersey in the past few years, Irene maybe? At any rate, Christie's words then were "Get the hell off the beach in Asbury Park. You're done. You've maximized your tan." Made me really wish our governor would, before one of our hurricanes, tell people to get the hell off the beach in Nags Head. Someone needs to say it, and into a mike with a large audience.

Valairy Scot and Juliet316 like this.
  7. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    50 people at least dead

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    He also happens to pull off the voodoo of actually being 'fiscally responsible' without crippling the operation of his state. I may not be fond of every policy he has leanings toward, but the man can certainly balance a checkbook without simultaneously having prison sex with his residents' opportunities.
    As an added bonus, during all of the grandiose hurricane coverage, he was certainly vastly more interesting to listen to than Corbett or [nameless Delaware governor].

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Or the Oceanfront/Sandbridge beaches here in Va.

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Telegraph has done a strange article which says blaming the storm on the actions of fossil fuel over-usage is as dumb as blaming it on gay people. Except it's not, actual evidence for Global Warming exists, none exists to support the idea gay people control the weather.

11. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Yep. Not to mention that many, thousands of people have lost their homes. Some entire neighborhoods are destroyed.

As someone living through this, it's very weird to see all the jokes and political comments on here. Who cares about Romney or Obama in this context? What can they do for Breezy Point residents whose homes burnt to the ground with the roads blocked from flooding and trees? There are 8 million people without power or running water and it could go on for another week to 10 days. I know it's easy to be insensitive with the comfort of internet anonymity, but at least let the dead be buried and the crisis come to an end before making it a running comedy show.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  13. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I'm kinda worried about AmazingB. He's been offline since Monday at 12:30. I hope it's just a power outage.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Anyone check his Facebook? I don't have him on Facebook but I have Erin on it and she is apparently ok.

15. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    He's not on FB. :(

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I did a facebook thingy asking for info.

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  19. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
  20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Did you try sending him an email, Kate?

21. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I'm going to today.

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Hopefully it's just a power or comms issue.

23. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Hopefully he gets back soon, otherwise someone else is going to have to spearhead AmazingB Awareness month....

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Oh a lighter note, has anybody idenitifed this guy yet?

25. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    I haven't been on here in ages, but basically Jersey and surrounding areas are like a war-zone. Traffic lights are out so driving is absolutely terrifying. My dad went to a gas station at 4:30AM this morning so he could run a generator and still waited for 2 hours. Some essential grocery-stores are open but running on generators, so only half of the lights are on. There are trees and dangling wires everywhere. Somehow my school managed to have only two trees come down so we're in a little safety bubble with electricity and heat, but considering I normally can see most of Manhattan from my window and I can currently only see half, with most of the coastline gone and houses burnt down and crushed around us... I could start to see the logic behind the 2012 doomsdayers.