main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If Jar Jar was succesfull...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by jengafett, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jengafett

jengafett Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2004
    If Jar Jar was a very succesful character in TPM, do you think his role in AOTC, would have been very different? Or would it have been the same?

Is it possible that Jar Jar could've gone with Anakin and Padme, to Naboo, Tatooine and Geonosis. On Naboo, he basically hangs around, while their romance blossoms.

PADME: I was twelve, he was...No Jar Jar!!! Off the creature!!!

JAR JAR: Whoopsiedaisy!!! Ahh!!! Mesa fell over...

Then just really did Jar Jar style goofy things on the way? What do you think Jar Jar's role would've been if he were succesful?

2. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I can't really see Jar Jar tagging along with Anakin or Padme, but I could see Jar Jar having a lot more screen time as Amidala's replacement in the Senate. I think that had he had been a success, we would have seen a lot more of him on Coruscant.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Jar Jar was successful. He was never meant to come along on the adventures in AOTC. The only reason he had such a big role in TPM was that he had to fill in for Threepio, since Threepio is the main comic relief of Star Wars but was hardly in that episode.

One could argue that Jar Jar's role was cut down in AOTC for some reason(like Windy stated above), but we don't really know.

Jar Jar is a great sidekick
    /LM

4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Jar-Jar was extremely successful, and Lucas goes on to say that the reason he had less screentime in AOTC compared to TPM is because that's how the story goes. Jar-Jar isn't as porminant a character because the story is focusing in on the more integral players such as Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, etc.

5. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    Yes, if Jar Jar became a fan favorite like boba fett, we would have seen more of him.

duh...

It's really that simple...
    -Wes

6. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Jar Jar had so much potential. I don't depise him, but the fact remains that he could have been the Threepio/Chewie of the prequels. If Jar Jar was a cheap 80's type costume or Muppet, I would've accepted him.

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I think Jar Jar Binks is the Threepio/Chewie of the PT. He's more Chewie, though.

People copy my signature concept
    Looks pretty ugly with a permanent sig underneath

/LM

8. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    I agree.

That's a shame Lars Muul. People shouldn't do that...

9. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Okay, except more of a cheap version. I just see so much of ESB threepio in him as well. But more Chewie.

10. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Actually Jar-Jar was way more expensive to pull off than 3-PO and Chewie combined.

11. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    I mean to say cheap from a story's perspective and not that of a technological aspect. Sorry I didn't clarify that.

12. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Oh. I don't see what you mean.

Jar-Jar was much more thouroughly presented as a character than the droids or Chewie combined.

13. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I think he would have had a greater role. But what I wonder is what GL would have done to get Palpatine emergency powers. I always felt it was to reedeem himself with Jar Jar. Since everyone hates him, and he is always making the dumbest, cumsiest mistakes, why not have him top it of with giving Palpatine the powers to become Emporer? He's the only one I can imagine doingh that, but I have the feeling it was a direct result of fan responce to him.

I think that AOTC Jar Jar is way better then TPM Jar Jar. Not only does he get less screen time and chances to be annoying, but he also is slightly more mature. The only TPM Jar Jar moment was "Obi? OBI!!!!" but even that wasn't as bad. I think having him have to decide wether he sould give the powers, and then the fact that he gave powers gives for a much mor complicated and human character. I can't wait to see what he's like in ROTS. :)

I think his maturing kind of goes hand in hand with the movies (and the younger audience) maturing. We went from TPM which was the kiddie, happy episode. To AotC which is much more serious, but still a bit lighthearted, and soon will be ROTS which GL claims to be the darkest episode in the Saga.

14. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    If you take a look at the way he's characterized in TPM... you can tell he ment well.

Which what makes his scenes in AOTC much more relavent. Sometimes the people who MEAN well, end up giving evil it's greatest boost.

15. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Which what makes his scenes in AOTC much more relavent. Sometimes the people who MEAN well, end up giving evil it's greatest boost.

Agreed. Jar Jar's choice in AOTC reminds me a lot of Padme's choice to endorse the "vote of no confidence" in TPM. She meant well, but ultimately her choice led to Palpatine being the Chancellor, and we all know how well that went over.

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    It's kind of odd to hear people talking about how one of the reasons Jar-Jar is better in AOTC, is because he gets less screen time.

As if the only good Jar-Jar is a non existant Jar-Jar.

I think that's pretty cold for a human being.

So what if Jar-Jar sounds funny?

So what if he is clumsey?

Is that his fault?

Is it really such a burden for you?

How do you think other people feel about how you sound? How you conduct yourself?

Wouldn't you want people to accept you for your kind hearted nature despite these things you don't have much control over such as how you look and sound?

Jar-Jar didn't have a mean bone in his body. All he ever wanted to do was help people and have friends.

For some of us, that was just too much to ask I guess.

17. GrUnT_HUNTER

GrUnT_HUNTER Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2004
    "Jar-Jar didn't have a mean bone in his body. All he ever wanted to do was help people and have friends." - Go-Mer-Tonic

I agree. I've met people who say things like "I hope they kill of Jar-Jar" and stuff like that, and they aren't kidding around.

Why would you wish death on someone, even a fictional character?

Jar Jar never hurt anyone, yes he was different, but so what. He reminds me of an old goofy dog I use to have when I was a kid, and he would always follow me around, and when I felt bad I just hugged him and petted him.

18. Argile_Kenobi

Argile_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2005
    I think that Jar Jar was originally meant as the new Chewie. It make perfect sense when you add up the characters.
    Original Series Good guys from first movie:
    Luke, Han, Chewie, Princess, Droids, Obi (dead)

New Series Good guys from first movie:
    Annie, Obi, JarJar, Senator, Droids, QuiGon (dead)

As you can see the formula is the same, the only problem with the formula this time was the unpopularity of Jar Jar. I think GL adjusted his script, because why would you spend so much time developing a character that fits so well with your formula and then restrict their screen time severely in the sequel. Although GL claims he makes movies he likes and doesn't care what anyone thinks, the extra footage from the making of AOTC clearly shows that he is concerned with what fans think.

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    Sure, the ones who appreciate what he's doing.

Of course the other reason Jar-Jar might have had lesser screentime in AOTC compared to TPM could be because that was part of the way Lucas is darkening the story.

It also could have something to do with the main story centering around different characters this time around.

20. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Jar Jar is the only character in SW history to have heaps of screentime in one film followed by a bit part in the sequel. It never happened to any main characters in the OT. This was purely due to fan backlash. Good to know Lucas listens to bashers for his ideas...sometimes.

21. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Yet some don't even like that it was Jar Jar who proposed the EP. I don't think GL is really pandering with Jar Jar. He seems to tell the Story as he deems fit.

Some critics even called Jar Jar motioning the EP was a great move.

22. casey_the_hutt

casey_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2005
    I think that's pretty cold for a human being.
    So what if Jar-Jar sounds funny?
    So what if he is clumsey?
    Is that his fault?
    Is it really such a burden for you?
    How do you think other people feel about how you sound? How you conduct yourself?

Don't lose faith in your fellow man, because most people know the difference between a real person and an animated CGI actor.
    When people criticize Jar Jar, they're not criticizing a living being... they're criticizing the creator, George Lucas. I love Star Wars very much, but let's not confuse film for reality... especially a character that is 100% CGI.

I'm no typical prequel basher, or Lucas basher, but Jar Jar really rubs me the wrong way overall. His presence in Episode I is daunting. He's so unique, so energetic, and so eccentric that spending too much screen time on him really takes focus away from everything else.

As for Jar Jar 'having to be there to fill in for C3PO', that's just not the case. George didn't have to have Anakin build 3PO... he didn't have to be 'naked'. Lucas could have brought back the bright gold 3PO at the very first scene in Episode I, and everyone would be just as happy.

23. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    Jar Jar is the only character in SW history to have heaps of screentime in one film followed by a bit part in the sequel. It never happened to any main characters in the OT.

Oh I don't know but Lando's role was a lot less significant in ROTJ than ESB. For all that he did at the Battle of Endor Wedge or a new Rebel pilot could've been Gold Leader.

As for Jar Jar 'having to be there to fill in for C3PO', that's just not the case. George didn't have to have Anakin build 3PO... he didn't have to be 'naked'. Lucas could have brought back the bright gold 3PO at the very first scene in Episode I, and everyone would be just as happy.

I agree. Threepio should've been Padme's all along. That would've made more sense than the way the story is.

24. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I would have actually prefered it if Threepio had been the droid from the beginning of TPM belonging to the Trade Federation. George could have expanded his role and had him working as Nute Gunray's droid in both TPM and AOTC. I think that it would have been really fun and unexpected to see Threepio working for the "evil" side of things.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

25. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    Nice idea Mace Windy. I agree that would have been a unique, nice touch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.