main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT If Padme had lived........

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Frankakin skywalker, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Frankakin skywalker

Frankakin skywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 13, 2012
    I have been wondering what would Star Wars been like if Padme had survived Vader's force choke. Vader stayed on the Dark Side after Padme died because he thought he had nothing left for him. In a book called "Darth Vader and the Lost Command", he is haunted by visions of his dead wife. In ROTJ, he finds his son still loves him and turns to the good side. So if he knew Padme had lived (if she did), then would he have turned to the light side, or train his family to be Sith?

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Initially he would have scoured the galaxy looking for her in order to convince her to join him, overthrow Palpatine, and rule the galaxy together--similar to the way he pursued Luke in ESB only with more fervor.

I think she may have eventually been able to bring him back, assuming he could get past the idea that she "betrayed" him, which is what caused him to attack her in the first place. If she worked with Bail and Mon Mothma undercover, he might not be able to do that.

Poor Greedo, Order66Survivor and ILNP like this.
  3. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    You bring up a good point.

4. kainee

kainee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2012
    I think most people don't realize that Luke succeeds in saving his father because he is Padme's son. I am definitely of the opinion that if Padme had survived that she would have found some way to pull Anakin back out of the abyss-- everything established about her character so far is that she was idealistic, almost painfully so just like Luke, which is proven with her last words on her deathbed still saying there's still good in him, even after being the victim of a Force choke with no knowledge of just how corrosive the Dark side is. This is why I completely understand why Padme had to die very shortly after giving birth because if the Jedi Code forbidding their love, the stress of their secret marriage, and Anakin Force choking her couldn't kill their love, then sooner or later Anakin would be saved or she'd die trying. And she did die trying.

5. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    if Padme had lived

there would be no point in IV, V, VI

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  6. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Now, what if Anakin never met Padme in the first place? There would have been no one to hold him back at all

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Order66Survivor likes this.
  7. battlefrontboy

battlefrontboy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    ...the Emperor would have killed her.

8. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    If Padme had lived, Anakin wouldn't have had visions of her dying, so he wouldn't have turned to the dark side to begin with. That's the nature of a self-fulfilling prophesy.

9. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I see Padmé living after ROTS as a double-edged sword.

On one hand, Padmé (like Luke) seems to have unyielding, almost irrational faith in Anakin which is the key to bringing him back from the Dark Side, in my opinion.

On the other hand, had she survived, I'm concerned that Anakin might have come to believe that this was a result of him turning to the Dark Side. In that sense, it would have glorified the Dark Side for him and I imagine this would have made it difficult to turn him back. Without the suffering he endured as the result of his turn, I don't think he would have ever come to the realization that the Dark Side was simply a path to pain (or it would have been much more difficult).

In terms of other factors, such as the Rebellion, I don't know that Padmé's survival would have made much of a difference since she would have been in a similar position as Bail Organa.

10. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    Well....That's not exactly true. The CT would be changed drastically, but just because Vader changes to the good side, doesn't mean everything is sunshine and rainbows. A redeemed Vader(Anakin) would have to face the wrath of the Emperor and The Empire at the same time protecting his wife and kids. That would make the plot of 4,5, and 6 much different.

anakinfansince1983 and kainee like this.
  11. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    sorry to be pedantic but padmé did survive vader's choke, she only died cos she lost the will to live

i be not to sure, he did join the dark side to help her, maybe she could try and get him back from the dark, or just be to upset at his fall to be able to cope with him, we may never know

12. kainee

Dec 10, 2012
    This sounds like a good topic for the Star Wars Infinities comics to explore...

13. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    Really? I never knew that. How it seems to me is this: Vader force choked her. She was dying but managed to have her babies just before she died so she could save them.

14. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    Agreed.

15. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    What if Padme had survived, yet Anakin never found out until years later?

Frankakin skywalker likes this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    No, Padme died of a broken heart (*). The Force choke had nothing to do with it--the droid specifically states that "medically, she is completely healthy."

Besides, a person wouldn't die of mild trachear damage... not even in a fairy tale ;)

(*) Anakin had a vision of her dying, and in his attempts to prevent that vision from coming true, which caused her to die of a broken heart, fulfilling his vision--so the vision was a self-fulfilling prophesy. Kind of like the self-fulfilling prophesy in "Oedipus" or a number of other classic tragedies.

17. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    That's what we're talking about.

18. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    How could someone die of a Broken Heart? I didn't think that was possible.:eek:

Admiral_Volshe likes this.
  19. kainee

Dec 10, 2012
  20. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    Ok. I get it it now. Now, as I see it, there's 2 possible ways she could have died: 1, from Anakin's force choke or 2, (as kainee has now instructed me about) from a broken heart syndrome. It could be a little more likely that it was Anakin's FC, because she got a lot of pain from that. However, in Darth Vader and the Lost Command, She appears to him as a mind trick (read it and you'll find out) and says that he is cruel and that he killed her so it is possible that she was so grieved by Vader's evil that she died.

21. Frankakin skywalker

Dec 13, 2012
    Imagine what Vader would be like......
    [​IMG]

Vader: WHY DID YOU KILL HER? YOU WILL DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Palpatine: Chill out dude.
    *Lightsaber goes straight through Palpatine's heart.... oh wait, he doesn't have one:p*

Mzukiller likes this.
  22. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    But only if Padme's life was in danger!!!

23. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    On the temp boards we had a really great thread about this. I can link if anyone's interested.

I agree with PiettsHat on this.
    I feel like those events would lead Anakin to stay on the Dark Side, maybe the furthest he would manage to stray would be to Dark/Grey Jedi status.

Palpatine would be a huge issue as well. He would most likely kill her the first chance he gets.

24. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Just a thought, but what if Padme's death was "faked" in order to hide her from Vader, Emperor and the conscious memory of the surviving Jedi?

Her return in the ST would make for an interesting revisiting of this issue.

25. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    how can a dead person fake their own death? :p

she's clever

but not that clever