main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

IGN stuck in a 1999 time warp - Jar Jar #5 most hideous movie alien

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by ManaByte, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Someone should really tell these people that Jar Jar bashing went out of style in 1999. Today they posted their Top 10 Most Hideous Aliens on Film and Jar Jar Binks came in at #5:

"#5: Jar Jar Binks
    Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Truly horrific, the creature known as Jar Jar Binks first appeared in Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace. The Gungan, with his yellow, crab-like eyes, duck-billed mouth and large flappy ears, strikes fear in the hearts of many Star Wars fans. But what's worse than Jar Jar's strange appearance are his bungling, haphazard mannerisms and his ultimate weapon... that voice. No sooner had he "boomed da gasser, and crashed de boss's heyblibber," than he crushed the hopes of George Lucas devotees the world over. Hideous, indeed!"

Following that is a picture of Jar Jar with the caption:
    "Oops! Meesa ruined Star Wars!"

IDIOTS

2. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

So, you are whining because they are referring to a creature from 1999? Did you notice they also included the "Blob" from 1958?

Are they only supposed to reference things from this week? Does the past not count for anything?

And Jar Jar is crap. There is no excuse. Look at the drama of ESB and then look at Jar Jar. Think of the ROTJ throne room scenes and then think of Jar Jar cracking his CGI crotch on a CGI tank barrel.

It should never have been in Star Wars. It was an experiment in CGI that backfired and now even Lucas has realised his mistake.

3. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    I see your point Mandalorian, but while were at it why don't we think of Han stepping on Jabba's tail, Ewoks, Sy Snootles, Artoo and Yoda fighting over a torch etc. Star Wars is supposed to be both funny and dramatic.

4. MANDALORIAN

Mar 15, 1999

Indeed. But not to the extent of Jar Jar. In the OT the comedy came from the characters and the situations. Jar Jar is there solely to provide comedy (not very good comedy).

For example, in ROTJ, Wicket hits himself in the head with a slingshot. A bit of comic relief. However, that character does not then proceed to follow the heroes around, bumping into things, getting into trouble, saying phrases from 'Wayne's World', getting kicked in the spuds and mugging to the camera.

It is a question of subtlety and restraint.

And, for the record, I could live without the 'stepping on Jabba's tail' thing...

:)

5. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    I agree that Jar Jar and Episode 1 was the extreme of Star Wars humour, hopefully Episode 3 will be the Star Wars drama at it's most extreme, then everyone should be happy.
    Am I the only one who was actually disappointed with Jar Jar's reduced role in Episode 2?

6. MANDALORIAN

Mar 15, 1999
  7. SHAUN-FOREVER

SHAUN-FOREVER Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2004
    MANDALORIAN summed it up nicely. I'm surprised Jar Jar did not get the top spot. As for being stuck in a time warp, well that's quite funny coming from someone who is posting on a Star Wars board, unless of course you are here just to read about the current film, and not the films of the past.

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    "Oops! Meesa ruined Star Wars!"

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] it is a hideous creature indeed.

Someone should really tell these people that Jar Jar bashing went out of style in 1999.

Nah, some things never go out of style .

Star Wars is supposed to be both funny and dramatic.

True, but when was JJ ever funny ?

g

9. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Dare I post it, but I actually like the voice and appearance of Jar Jar Binks. Not in that way though..... :p [face_mischief]

"Am I the only one who was actually disappointed with Jar Jar's reduced role in Episode 2?"

Your not. :(

10. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Jar Jar wasnt funny at all

11. Obladi_Oblada

Obladi_Oblada Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2005
    "Am I the only one who was actually disappointed with Jar Jar's reduced role in Episode 2?"

I'm more disappointed that they completely dropped the whole posh diplo-dialect thing. That might have actually been funny. I remember first hearing that AotC would be ten years later and that Jar Jar would be more mature. And joking with my friends that maybe he'd have a British accent.

12. -Master_Yoda-

-Master_Yoda- Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2005
    Out of all the Star Wars aliens, the ones I hate the most are the Ewoks. At the end of the day, yes Jar Jar may be annoying to some, but at least he wasn't a major plot point. He was a fool on the battlefield, but not particularly instrumental.

In Episode VI:

Emperor: 'An entire LEGION of my best troops awaits them'

But then they get 'pasted', to quote Jar Jar himself, by Ewoks and about 30 rebels?

Please. This is one of the weakest moments of the saga for me.

13. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    Artoo and Yoda fighting over a torch

It was a flashlight.

14. CBright7831

Mar 23, 2004
    Please. This is one of the weakest moments of the saga for me.

How did the King's best troops of England get beat by untrained minute men?

How did the "primitive" people of Vietnam defeat the "technologically advanced" troops of America?

It's possible, and believable.

I don't know why people hate Ewoks so much. Star Wars are children's movies, folks, whether you want to believe it, or not.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Ewoks never really bothered me. With the Endor battle, at least there was still a sense of tension and peril to the situation. We even see a poor little guy get blown away, and then are forced to watch his furry friend mourn the corpse with utter despair. Compared to the Gungan battle during TPM, the Ewok fight scenes seemed like something out of Saving Private Ryan.

16. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Compared to the Gungan battle during TPM, the Ewok fight scenes seemed like something out of Saving Private Ryan.

Well the Gungans were warriors. They knew what they were getting into, plus it was a diversion. Meanwhile although the Ewoks help defeat the Stormtroopers, the Ewoks were not meant to get involved, which cost some of them their lives.

17. CBright7831

Mar 23, 2004
    I don't think we saw any Gungans die...up close anyway.

18. Moriarte

Moriarte Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    How did the King's best troops of England get beat by untrained minute men?

How did the "primitive" people of Vietnam defeat the "technologically advanced" troops of America?

It's possible, and believable.

I don't know why people hate Ewoks so much. Star Wars are children's movies, folks, whether you want to believe it, or not.

These examples are meaningless-the majority of the minutemen may not have been military trained but they still were trained in the use of, then, modern firearm AND were led primarily by men who served in the military. Plus, it doesn't take much to fight in the colonial period-nothing primitive about them at all.

Secondly, there was nothing "primitive" about the Vietnamese at all-there tactics were simply something unexpected.

Neither the minutemen NOR the Vietnamese were using actually primitive weapons like spears, rocks, and timbers-in fact the minutemen and Vietnamese used comparitively modern weaponry.

There have been many discussions on the idea that the Ewoks fought with tactics that the Stormtroopers simply were not trained for this, but with ROTS, it appears that the clonetroopers (later stormtroopers) are trained for many kinds of terrain. This means that not only would Palpatine want his best troops present on Endor, but his best troops for a forest/jungle environment. The fact that these "best" troops suck it against the Ewoks is poorly handled.

The point may be that even small beings can make a difference, etc., but the scenario doesn't make much sense with known background.

But it's just the Force ;).

Ciou-See the Sig

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Artoo and Yoda fighting over a torch

It was a flashlight.

FYI in other English speaking countries besides America, a flashlight is CALLED a torch. Try to be a little more knowledgable before you correct someone.

20. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    "Artoo and Yoda fighting over a torch

It was a flashlight."

- If we're being specific, Luke calls it a LAMP! :)

21. MANDALORIAN

Mar 15, 1999

The Gungan battle is awful.

CGI Droids vs CGI amphibians using big bright blue bouncy balls and CGI tanks.

There is more dramatic tension and emotional investment in a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

Seriously.

At least in the Endor battle there were flesh and blood creatures getting hit, falling over, even dying. There were real troops and real humans. There were fires, the landscape getting destroyed, a sense of desperation, a physical struggle and, :eek: a point to the conflict!

22. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    There was a point to the conflict. "The battle was a diversion".

The majority of the battle droids were away from the palace fighting the Gungans which gave Amidala and her troops the chance to take back control.
    The Gungans sacrificed themselves to help the Naboo, thus unite the two cultures.
    It actually makes more sense than the Ewoks helping the Rebels because Threepio told them their life story and they felt sorry for them!

23. CBright7831

Mar 23, 2004
  24. Hitman90

Hitman90 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2005
    You know what would be funny if Jar Jar were killed off.

25. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Look at the drama of ESB and then look at Jar Jar. Think of the ROTJ throne room scenes and then think of Jar Jar cracking his CGI crotch on a CGI tank barrel.

I suppose the OT will be crap after i say this: "Look at the drama of AOTC and then look at Ewoks. Think of Anakin finding his mother in the Tusken camp and then think of 3PO getting his lightbulb eye ate out by a rubber handpuppet"

Really, whether you like Jar Jar or not - at least recognize what his purpose in Star Wars (moreso, TPM) actually is instead of comparing it to the Throne Room scene and ESB.

- O_F

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.