main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm Going to Kill You With My Tea Cup: The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    "What? You'll kill me with your soup cup?"
    "Tea actually."
    "What?"
    "I'm going to kill you with my tea cup"

Anyone a fan of the Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick movies?

For once, I loved the fact that a new universe was completely opened up with so much potential. It's a pity that Riddick did so poorly at the Box Office.

2. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I really enjoy these movies - I think it's a combination of the style in which that they were filmed and just the overall "feel" of them in general. Definitely one of my favorite sci-fi movie series.

EDIT: Syntax error

3. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    It had a really cool feel. I think what really pulled me in was the visual feel of the movie, with the different shadings for the different times that the story took place. Very cool to look at.
    The characters were pretty cool as well, especially Riddick.

4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Loved Pitch Black. Just the fact that the psuedo hero gets killed thrilled me to no end. It didn't go the old familiar route with the boy & girl heading off intot he sunset together.

I didn't go to the threater to see Riddick. So many movies come out that I say I'm going to se and never get around to it. Wound up wenting Riddick and hating the fact I missed it on the big screen. Another movie that just sparked with imagination and original ideas. I want to see where he takes the Necromongers!

5. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    I have both of these movies, it was a shame at how it did at the cinema. I did think they were really well made and good fun to watch.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    For those interested in the evolution of the reaction to the film from theatrical release to DVD director's cut, here's the Chronicles of Riddick thread in Amp.

7. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I don't like Vin Diesel...

That being said, I like Pitch Black. And I even liked Riddick...

And that's all I have to say. :)

8. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Many thanks for the link Quest. :)

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No prob. It's really amazing how much the film improved between those two versions (especially during the fight outside the hangar bay).

Can't wait for them to continue the trilogy.

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Trilogy 2Q??? Are we talking movies?

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Chronicles of Riddick is supposed to be the first of a trilogy they planned out, with Pitch Black being a sort of "Hobbit" to COR's "LOTR". There's still interest and a good chance they will make part 2 soon.

12. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I haven't heard anything about it recently, and assumed that they were just sitting on the project for a while.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Back in March, Darkhorizons had this tidbit:

"After "Hannibal", he plans on returning to the science-fiction trilogy that he visited this past summer with "The Chronicles of Riddick." Of a potential second entry, Diesel says "Riddick? Well, you know that I've always had 'C2' planned. I'm silently -- and I shouldn't even say this -- I'm silently working on 'C2' with some of the outlines that were created when I first thought of doing the three films.""

Hannibal is supposed to come out sometime this year, so we might see COR2 as early as 07 or 08.

14. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Ah, okay, I remember reading that. Awesome.

15. Rexus

Rexus Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2005
    Yeah I like "The Chronicles of Riddick". A nice war fiction, pretty amusing :). I love some of the hillarious dialogs in the films.

16. -Courtney-

-Courtney- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 8, 2005
    The Chronicles of Riddick was good, but I felt it was missing some thing. It was a little like the Matrix, it was a long movie but you really never went that deep into the story. As if it was told from more of a narrative point of view.

17. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I prefered Riddick to Pitch Black. Really hope they make another one.

18. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    Pitch Black was amazing up until the chase at the end, when it lost a bit of the style and story, but still a really good one. I was very happy to see the same visual style in Riddick.

19. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I just love Chronicles, and the character of Riddick is like a sci-fi Conan. I also got around to playing the game Escape from Butcher Bay which was also very good.

Oddly enough, I never got the opportunity to see the film in the cinemas. It never seemed to appear at the local Odeon.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Pitch Black was maybe the best science fiction film of the past five years. It was brilliant.

Chronicles was not nearly so good, but it was entertaining.

Anyone see the animated bridge film: Dark Fury? That was really, really weird.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah that was a bit trippy- though I loved the zero-G fire-supression-foam cloud fight.

22. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I almost bought that disc several times - maybe one of these days I'll actually purchase it and give it a look. :)

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I wouldn't really recommend the animated thing. Seemed like a waste of time to me.

24. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I don't want to sound too negative here, but I once asked myself where all the other unabashed sci/fantasy films were. Since Star Wars proved they could be hugely popular, I wondered why other filmmakers/studios weren't trying to reproduce SW on a regular basis. Then CoR came out and I was intrigued. Here was exactly what I was looking for: A pure space opera built in a brand new fictional universe to explore and discover. Then I saw the film. It then became painfully obvious to me why big time filmmakers hadn't been releasing this kind of film constantly since '77 - it seems to be impossibly hard to do right. CoR had all the pieces, but couldn't deliver for me. I found it cheesy and downright amateurish at times. Vin Diesel cannot act, and my face nearly slid off my skull when I saw Karl Urban drop some big time WWE moves during the fight scenes. In the end, it seemed to me that they were trying to cash in on Vin Diesel's overrated coolness, rather than build a good story set in an interesting universe. I really liked Pitch Black, but thought that CoR was the movie equivalent of a manufactured boy band - all style and no substance.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Wait a minute! That was Karl Urban?! Wow. How did I miss that?