main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm Going to Kill You With My Tea Cup: The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    More word on next Riddick

Maybe we're too tight-lipped about the next Chronicles of Riddick film, and I think circa the release of [Dark Athena] that's probably when you'll start hearing more about the next Riddick film. It is underway
    David Twohy is finishing up the next script.

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Vin Doesel interview

Question: Would this third, smaller scale Riddick close the trilogy?

Diesel: Well, you remember when I had talked about Riddick, I talked about Riddick as being The Fellowship in the Tolkien series. So I was using Pitch Black as Hobbit as the independent story that introduces you to the world of Middle Earth, and then taking the Chronicles of Riddick and treating it as a trilogy that goes from the story that you saw to the underverse and ultimately to Furia in the third film.

Question: Twohy's writing it?

Diesel: He's currently writing the third. It's hot, but to answer your question specifically about the scaled down aspect, yes. There is a scaled down portion of this that goes back to the Pitch Black style of telling the story.

Question: But it's still the 2nd, not the third?

Diesel: Yeah, absolutely. That's exactly what I'm saying. So if you think of Pitch Black as an introduction to the world. If you think of Lord of the Rings and I'm just using it as a parallel. You're thinking of Lord of the Rings, there are three books, a trilogy. You would think of The Chronicles of Riddick as the first in that trilogy and there will be two more to follow.

So the third movie will be about Furia itself. [face_thinking]

3. Sven_Starcrown

Sven_Starcrown Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 10, 2009
    ,,So the third movie will be about Furia itself."

That would be great.

4. Zenni

Zenni Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2009
    Tell me if I am alone here, but, do they not have the most bada** space ships in CoR? I loved them all! Especially the Necromancer ships!
    Great Trilogy btw, I loved them. I didn't know Pitch was related to CoR til' after I saw them both lol.

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Heh. His D&D roots are showing :-B :p

6. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah...he makes a couple more gawd-awful "Swift and Perturbed" sequels, he could probably produce the Riddick flicks himself.

7. sith_rhino

sith_rhino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 9, 2007
    I absolutely love The Chronicles of Riddick. H saw it at the theater, having never heard of Pitcj Black. When I did see Pitch Black later, I was somewhat disappointde. Not that it's a bad movie, but it's such a different type of movie from Riddick. Pitck Black is basically a monster movie, while Riddick is more of a sci-fi epic.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's the reverse of those who saw PB- going from a surprisingly clever little film to an epic fantasy.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    It has been a while since I've seen Pitch Black or CoR. Both are very enjoyable films.

10. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    I can't help wondering if Vin Diesel has done the Fast/Furious and xXx sequels simply to build up enough capital to continue this silly sci-fi series of his...

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    While he's certainly passionate about this series, I think it has more to do with the Hannibal movie he's been trying to produce and direct for a few years now.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Vin Diesel has revealed the working titles of the second and third Chronicles of Riddick films: "The Underverse? and ?The Furyan", and that they may be produced at the same time. And that they're pushing for an R rating for at least one of them, if not both.

13. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    good to hear they are still talking about these

They'll never get the R...especially for only 1.

Chronicles of Riddick is in heavy television rotation (as opposed to Pitch Black, which never is)...It has younger fans...in fact, given the typical timeslot for the film, they encourage heavy "family males" demographic viewing.

Riddick is a lot like James Bond now...once you've gone PG-13, it's hard to go back...it definitely isn't a good marketing move...so it would have to be substantial enough artist merit to do so.

I think it will be PG-13...all of them.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I think the success of the R-rated Director's Cut has been one factor that propelled this effort forward (and the PG-13 theatrical cut contributing to it's below-expected boxoffice performance), and if they scale back the cost enough, they can probably pull it off.

15. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    The Underverse huh? I had always wondered whether or not Riddick was going to keep his power or step down. Kira is dead though. :( She was hot. Can't she be resurrected in the Underverse?

16. matunechka

matunechka Jedi Youngling

Aug 17, 2009
    I've read it recently.Without any doubt Riddick was great!

17. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I am glad to have stumble upon this thread. It has been ages since I've heard any news about the sequels and made me wonder if it had been scrapped. I'm glad to know that it is still happening as I really enjoyed Pitch Black and CoR (I have yet to see the Director's Cut but it is on my list of movies to get).

Hopefully quality does not drop because of the smaller budget.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Vin says...

The Riddick team is in New Zealand location scouting already... that's exciting.

19. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Awesome.

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Interesting..

I'm glad to see that there is still some life in this project.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Vin Diesel Set For A Third Time As Riddick

Vin Diesel is officially set to star in and produce a third film featuring his famed anti-hero character Riddick for Universal Pictures and Lionsgate reports Variety.

"Pitch Black" and "The Chronicles of Riddick" writer/director David Twohy will helm from his own screenplay. The story will avoid the large scale space opera of 'Chronicles' in favour of a dark, character-driven thriller more along "Pitch Black" lines.

Production is not expected to get underway until after Diesel finishes work on "Fast Five", the fifth film in the "Fast and Furious" franchise.

[face_dancing]

22. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    Ok...it's good that Riddick is coming back

it's BAD that this is his follow up to yet another Fast and Furious rehash.

It makes it seem like Diesel is scrapping by on past success, and could hurt his drawing power at the box office.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Perhaps- but then it's hard to argue he was among the reasons FAF opened so ridiculously well. He tried going the Arnie/Rock route with a family comedy, didn't work out, now he's leveraging his more successful stuff to regain his status and presumably hlp launch his further projects (just when the hell that Hannibal movie comes out, Duke Nuke'Em would love to see it ;) ).

24. Sawn_Kassal

Sawn_Kassal Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2008
    Chronicles was an excellent film, I still haven't had the pleasure of seeing Pitch Black. I'm definitely curious to see what he does as the new Lord Marshall of the Necromongers. Especially when taken into account how underhanded Lord Vaako was.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Next Riddick synopsis

"Betrayed by his own kind and left for dead on a desolate planet, Riddick (Diesel) fights for survival against alien predators and becomes more powerful and dangerous than ever before.

Soon bounty hunters from throughout the galaxy descend on Riddick only to find themselves pawns in his greater scheme for revenge.

With his enemies right where he wants them, Riddick unleashes a vicious attack of vengeance before returning to his home planet of Furya to save it from destruction."