main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I'm Going to Kill You With My Tea Cup: The Chronicles of Riddick

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Slowburn

Slowburn Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 22, 2010
    This is fantastic. I honestly haven't though much about Riddick in years but I'd definitely be into another film. The potential synopsis sounds great too. Can't wait.

2. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm looking forward to this..
    :D

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Pitch Black was really good. Its sort of a cross between Alien and Flight of the Pheonix.

4. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    Wow. While I will miss the epic feel of Chronicles this movie sounds very interesting, and far more cerebral than Pitch Black. It makes Riddick sound far more cunning than simply a loner trying to survive.

Sounds like fun!

5. violent-poetry

violent-poetry Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2010
    well the beauty of these 2 movies is that they can stand alone, so you do not necessarily have to have watched pitch black to enjoy chronicles. it does provide the back story for the events that led to riddick being in exile. turns out that i am actually a fan of the stron, butt kicking, name taking type. he reminds me of master chief and boba fett rolled into one.

6. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I more or less agree with all of what you said..

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Small video update on Vin's facebook page from Vin and Twohy after a meeting on the next film.

Basically they reassert that the film will be smaller scale that Chronicles due to money they'll have, so that they can maintain the R-rating at any cost.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Via Vin's FB Page:

D T the writer/director just landed in New York with the good news. We can start filming this summer. However, there is a catch... in order for us to make a true R rated film, I must work for scale upfront. Not unlike the "Find me Guilty" experience (which I wouldn't have changed for the world)...

Money is always second to art, integrity and spirit... but the real issue is deeper. Can I suspend my life, to momentarily venture to that dark place... called Riddick.

9. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Ive been wanting these two movies from the first I heard of them.

10. Tholain

Tholain Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2011
    Sounds interesting.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He then adds:

P.s. I am off to another meeting with David, the director of Riddick... to see concept art and discuss the potential schedule.

Sounds like we have a go :).

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New concept art:

[image=http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2011/07/riddick.jpg]

13. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    I know it's Riddick...but I thought "Bane". ;)

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "You'll need a new name, Riddick. After that fuel stunt, how about Diesel?"
    "What kind of corny name is that? Now, Dessel..."

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  16. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    I agree. Good find.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    From Vin's FB page:

[image=http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2011/09/riddick3conceptart.jpg]

While I was working on character, the Director and his team of artists have been creating the world and style of this picture. We all know how much I enjoy concept art and storyboards, haha, I am like a kid in a candy shop.

Seeing the early stage of CGI is always fascinating to me, it is a element that usually comes together long after the filming process, so you look forward to seeing it fully realized.

First stop for the Riddick production is Canada, which is where we shot a large part of Chronicles...

P.s. I am grateful to have Universal in such support of this complex character's journey... not many studios would back an "R" rating. Very cool.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/312389_10150401171828313_89562268312_9588692_60003824_n.jpg]

"In the spirit of Creative Sundays?I asked the director to send a key frame that I could post it for you. Concept art and Key frames allow a production to explore possibilities before actually committing to the film.

The road to the ?R? rating, that so many of you were vocal about, has been a long one. The advantage however, (never empower the negatives) was that we were allowed a really extensive preproduction process. The art work so good, the artists have really outdone themselves in illustrating this world at [its] early stage.

When this film comes to the screen?know that you willed it into being! I got two meetings today that I have been prepping for?one with the Director and another one with the head of the studio to discuss casting and the 2012 release date. Like always, I appreciate having your voice present in these meetings."

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Karl Urban Returning for Third Riddick

According to Bloody Disgusting, Karl Urban will reportedly reprise his role of Lord Vaako in the upcoming third Riddick film which they call "The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking" at Universal Pictures.

Urban starred in 2004's "The Chronicles of Riddick" as the character who, with much pushing from his wife (Thandie Newton), plotted to kill his commander - the Necromonger Lord Marshal (Colm Feore).

The R-rated sequel is to be shot in Canada, but no specific date has yet been set. David Twohy directs from his own script.

Given the Necro-angle to things, "Dead Man Stalking" works for me :D :cool:.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/303830_10150439781503313_89562268312_9810816_1888187610_n.jpg]

Early Riddick Necro-monger design art. Vin also said on FB: "P.s. Riddick starts principal photography in weeks... much to do, much to do.."

21. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Cool looking concept art. Hopefully this will turn out well.

22. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    "Riddick" Stalls Due To Financial Difficulty

Production on "Riddick", the third instalment in the sci-fi series featuring Vin Diesel's anti-hero, has been shut down due to "serious cash flow issues" reports TMZ.

Michel Trudel, the owner of the Montreal studio where the new movie is being shot, says everyone on the set had to be kicked off because Diesel's One Race Films production company failed to pay up on time.

Similarly, several members of the crew have reportedly not been paid in over two weeks and "are very concerned about getting their money".

Yet Trudel says he's "confident the situation will be resolved soon" and production is expected to resume once these financial difficulties are worked out.

23. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
  24. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Hopefully they will get their problems in order and get this film going.

25. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    Yeah they better! Im craving a new Riddick film!