main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Spok, WA In Case You Are Interested...

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Corvalis, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corvalis

Corvalis Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2008
    A group of people, some of which I game with regularly, are trying to start a Firefly/Serenity universe LARP for our area. (The nearest one that I could find was over in Kirkland.)

So far all that I know is that the draft of rules is being reviewed (I've helped with creating it) by the people who want to run the game. Sessions, as far as I know, will be once every couple of months due to the time and effort it takes to set up a LARP game, and last all day, or possibly all weekend. They are also looking at running smaller episodes revolving around a smaller group in "ship sessions" later on, filling in gaps between the larger sessions.

Myself, Chad (he ran the SpoCon Star Wars RPG game), and a few other members of my regular Sunday gaming group are interested in this, and so I was asked to pass it along to anyone I thought would be interested, especially other gamers, and other LARPers.

They're currently trying to gather a Big List of Names for people interested. Once the draft of the rules is approved, they'll look at starting some play testing, which will earn extra experience for your characters. Once they feel all the bumps have been smoothed out, they will start scheduling full day sessions. Characters, as well as people interested in playing NPCs or selling/making Firefly/Serenity gear, will be needed. The more the merrier, right?

If you are interested, go ahead and post your name and email/phone number. If you want to keep that private, just PM it to me, and I'll only share the info with the people involved in the LARP.

2. JarusSarn

JarusSarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2004
    There was some Serenity LARP at SpoCon (I heard it went over really well) Also Nick's been talking about doing it for quite some time... just thought I'd put that out there.

3. Corvalis

Corvalis Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 17, 2008
    I think we're of differeing opinions on the definition of "well". Both of my friends who went said half the LARP time was taken up by everyone making characters. Which really drained the fun out of it for those who had to help. But I know it went okay after that.

I'm not sure if Nick was going to continue his LARP outside of cons though. But the group of people who had to help make everyone characters decided to try and make a more streamline, simple, fluid game system. So far, the rules have been hammered out, and they are very simple, and combat is the most streamline of all the Serenity/Firefly LARP systems out there. There's a very complicated one over in Kirkland that runs once a month.

I'm not bashing Nick's system or idea of running a LARP, I think it's great that someone started it over here. But I like things simple, and easy to learn and play. I think the new group will be great because it was simple. Character creation only took me a few minutes, and aside from gathering materials and making my outfit, I'm ready to play.

Of course, we haven't play tested the rules yet, so there might be some changes.

4. Raph1613

Raph1613 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2004
    I'd love to be a part of this.
    Of course, my ever-changing work schedule will probably kill any chances of me being able to...
    [face_tired]

I was very briefly involved with Nick's campaign, though I'm not sure what happenned with that.
    My work schedule probably played a part in that one, too.....

5. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    Work...[face_tired]
    It makes me sad how often it must happen instead of other things like LARP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.