main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Jedi76, Sep 25, 2011.

1. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Just got back from best buy!!! Yea baby!!!

Time for some high def indy! [face_dancing]

Who else got it?

2. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    Sadly, I'll have to wait a couple months or so before getting it. I'm a poor college kid. :p

3. Sure_leia

Sure_leia Jedi Knight

Sep 4, 2012
    I can't wait to watch all of mine. I haven't done a marathon in years. It'll be great to see a remastered Raiders.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Argh! There's too many things that I want that are coming out at once!

I'll probably pick it up at the end of the week when the paycheck goes into the account.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  5. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    I here ya, dont worry I am too.;) I got lucky with a few odd jobs and put the money aside for three or 4 weeks to afford this today. Im just so glad its out now, I still haven't even opened it yet as I just got home.

6. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Well, a month and a half later I finally got the set 2 days ago. Watched the 80's Raiders documentary, and watched Raiders last night. I love this series in Blu Ray!!!

7. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Watching the Raiders blu ray again. There's one special-edition style change I wish was made on this:

When Indy's student blinks with "love you" on her eyelids, I was hoping Indy would've blinked with "I know" on his. :0)

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  8. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Got the Blu-Ray set on Saturday. It was about time, too, since I never got the DVDs and my VHS Tapes from 1998, like SW Special Editions and most of my other VHS tapes developed mold on the rolls when I stored them in the cupboard of my apartment, that had a huge humidity problem at the time. I still have all the tapes, which in some case I hope to rid of their fungus someday to digitize. The Special Edition golden slipcase sustained a visually interesting transformation. The gold that wasn't covered under the other side of the slipcase became very creasy and cracked, it now has a very unique patina. Beautifully aged, like something that has weathered over a quarter of a century.

Back to the Complete Adventures Blu-Ray. I've only seen ROTLA so far and I was a bit surprised how grainy some of the footage is, but from the looks of it, this is a rare phenomenon, probably caused by particular film stock, multiple exposure for the effects or perhaps sometimes underexposed shots getting increased in lightness. Personally, in a few rare cases some DNR might have been done the footage a favour
    That said, a good 90% of the shots looked so pristine, clear and new, as if they were just shot yesterday.

I haven't watched ROTLA in one piece in a while, but what surprised me was just how more pulp and Saturday matinee it felt in its style for what most of us consider such a classic. It's great that, like with Star Wars, it is both.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, I specially noticed the intro to be very grainy. But then again, grain is detail and shouldn't be removed unless it makes the viewing unbearable. Anyway, I'm glad they were able to restore the movie.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  10. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    Speaking of the beginning, I found it interesting that the shadowy areas of the jungle, while Indy is standing near the water, checking the map, to be more of a grey, than black. I guess in this case the footage shot on location might have been slightly underexposed and boosted in post, resulting in the slightly pale shadows.

I was rather worried about the color-timing being too different, after checking out comparisons I've seen online between past versions. While the differences in the screenshots were noticeable, not once during the film did I think anything looked shifted in color. Not that it would have been a big deal to change that.

I'm rather happy I got AOTC to look like it did in theaters and on DVD again by simply changing the picture temperature setting on my Panasonic Plasma from "Normal Mode- Cool Temperature" to "Warm Temperature", resulting in the teal tint to be pretty much gone and Palpatine's office, and the Twi'lek Aide to be in their originally intended color again.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    People complain about Vader's "No!" in RotJ and the like, but the teal shift in AotC was the worst thing on the Blu-ray pack. I'm hoping that the 3D version will get rid of it, otherwise I'll keep my DVD for the time being.

12. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    Vader's outburst in ROTJ, against all logic and necessity has grown so much on me that I feel something missing from the scene without it. The teal shift can be fixed- what can't be simply fixed is that re-edit of Dooku's escape. It used to be a perfectly edited, tight getaway with a fluent score before the change. Not to mention, the fact that Yoda's upset reaction shot and him Force retrieving his saber being split apart by the new edit slightly takes away the ironic feel of him suddenly being dependent on it again.

IMO, the most distracting change of the whole Blu-Ray set. It's unlikely, but I hope this goes the way of Luke's scream in TESB and is reinstated to its original form someday, preferably already with the 3-D theatrical release.

Anyway, I hope the get to some more Indy action later this week.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Forgot to mention that one. It is indeed distracting, but thankfully it can be fixed with a simple reordering. Fortunately they didn't change the background music when they made the new shot order. You can still notice the different flow of the music due to the change.

I just hope it was a mistake during the encoding and the 3D version is like it used to be.

14. obi-rob-kenobi4

Apr 17, 2007
    The restoration done on raiders is absolutely stunning and beautiful!

The movie....looks....like it was made last year. I just....I dont know how they do this but the thing looks like it can stand right next to crystal skull and a person wouldn't be able to tell the difference. You actually wouldn't be able to tell which one was made in the 80's until deep into the running time of the movie. Amazing!

Raiders is by FAR the best looking, best updated one in the set (they all look great in full 1080p tho).

=D==D=@};-@};-:cool::D

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's because 35mm has a much higher screen resolution than even 1080p does. 4K should about do it justice.

TX-20 likes this.
  16. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Thanks for the reviews - the Blu-rays of these films sound fantastic. I'd like to upgrade my IJ films to Blu-ray, but will wait until the price of the boxed set either goes on sale or goes down in price (whichever comes first).

I'm a huge fan of clear/crisp picture quality, and after seeing films on Blu-ray, it's tough to go back & watch most regular DVD's.

17. LordThrawnStark

LordThrawnStark Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 8, 2013
    This is one of my personal favorite Blu-Ray sets. Raider's Looks so beautiful. They really did an amazing job of making the transfer even better than before. The Extras are amazing too.

18. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    I hope to get this soon as the price goes down a little as it's one my favourite sagas and a must upgrade from DVD for me.

19. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Several weeks ago, I got the IJ Blu set @ Target for a good sale price - I look forward to watching these. The packaging is great; I like the "book" aspect to this, as well as the behind-the-scenes pictures & the artwork from each film.

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    so no special raiders scene? when the jeep falls off the cliff they re-did the whole matte painting and added greenery and stuff. someone first saw it on cable i believe. here it is...

not on the blu i guess? personally i like that improvement.

21. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    This is a fantastic set. I think raiders looks beautiful.

My only gripe with it is they could have added more bonus material, but I imagine it's done on purpose to maximise the potential of future releases.

22. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    what about the cliff scene? new or old? see my post above.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The Blu-ray has the original cliff. Didn't even know they had changed it. Was that version ever released?

24. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it was shown on cable but has not been on a set that i know of. just saw it on t.v. and it was the old version.

25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    To be perfectly honest, I'm not really seeing much of a difference other than a more orange hue in the new version