main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Inter-Faith Chapel (now disc. Pacifism)

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jedi Merkurian , Nov 5, 2012.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    This marks the return of the Senate Inter-Faith Chapel, the old one appears to have been lost in the move. The purpose of the thread is to discuss various aspects of life and living from the perspective of whatever religions we hold to. A few "House Rules" need to be made clear:

-If you have an ax to grind with any religion, or religion in general, this is not the place for it.

-If you want to dispute the validity of any religion, or religion in general, do so elsewhere.

-Please post the Scriptural basis for whatever information you post. I have, for example, been amazed by how much of Christianity isn't actually in the Bible.

-This is a place to learn about each other's beliefs. As it is written in the Scripture of my Faith, I want this to be a place to "Consort with the followers of all religions in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship."

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  3. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
  4. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I'm learning more about what the Baha'i Faith has to say about avoidance of conflict. Here's a bit of the Writings that's really taking awhile to wrap my head around:

5. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    I think a fresh start would be good...

6. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    The Book of Mormon provides two contrasting examples related to pacifism.

First, it contains the story of a group of Lamanites (known as the Anti-Nephi-Lehis) who were converted to the Gospel, and as a result felt that their previous sins were so great that they completely rejected the shedding of blood. As it says in Alma 23:7, "For they became a righteous people; they did lay down the weapons of their rebellion, that they did not fight against God any more, neither against any of their brethren." Shortly thereafter, other Lamanites (who were upset over the conversion of the Anti-Nephi-Lehis) decided to go to war and exterminate them. When the Lamanites came to destroy them, they refused to fight, instead deciding to kneel down and pray. While some were killed, their example so affected the Lamanites that many more became converted as well, and the rest of the Anti-Nephi-Lehis were spared. (See Alma 24 for more details).

However, that is not to say that Mormonism requires pacifism. A short while later (about 15-20 years, IIRC), another war came along. In that war, many of the Anti-Nephi-Lehis wanted to help defend the Nephites who were protecting them, but the Nephites wouldn't allow them to break the covenant they had made not to shed blood. Instead, many of their young men, who had not made that covenant, volunteered to serve, and a force of 2060 was raised and then led by a prophet named Helaman (see Alma 53 and successive chapters). In that same war, another prophet and leader, known as Captain Moroni, raised a banner called the Title of Liberty, on which he listed the things that are worth fighting for. It read: "In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children." (See Alma 46:10-12.) He also at one point had some very strong words for those who were not willing to at the least provide support for those who fight to protect lives and freedom. (See Alma 60.)

In short, LDS teachings show that in some cases, pacifism is appropriate, but also that it can be inappropriate. There are some things that it is important to fight for, and those who will not do what they can to defend those things can fall under condemnation.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I thought it should be mentioned somewhere that the United States has elected both its first Hindu and its first Buddhist to Congress. Both from Hawaii.

Congresswoman-elect Tulsi Gabbard, 31-year-old veteran and first Hindu elected to Congress:
    [​IMG]

Senator-elect Mazie Hirono, becoming the first Buddhist elected to Congress, and first Asian-American Woman elected to the Senate:
    [​IMG]

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This was a cool video:

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  9. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Atlantism > Pacifism.

10. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    [
    I don't think pacifism is a viable position, since its position is one of dependence. That is, the pacifist depends on the non-pacifist's unwillingness to destroy him.

Evolution teaches us that the only way to survive is to struggle; pacifism flies in the face of that.

11. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Pacifism encompasses a wide spectrum of views. Generally speaking I would say that a strict interpretation of pacifism is incompatible with Christian teachings. I would point to Ecclesiastes 3:8:

There is a timefor everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens...
    a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.