main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is GL overrated?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by darthbarracuda, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    I just want to see your opinions.

I mean, yeah, Lucas came up with the whole idea of making Star Wars and made the story, but he didn't do everything! He was originally going to make a movie based off the Flash Gordon comics, I believe, but he couldn't due to copyright issues. And the story, at least the OT story, is pretty simple. Damsel in distress, hero and friends go to huge space station (castle) of the Empire (evil kingdom) and rescue her. Good guys win, bad guys lose. There's more to it than that but the basic plot is the same.

Lucas wasn't necessarily the one who put in all the work into making the effects look amazing.

IMO more credit should go to Ralph McQuarrie. He was the guy who made Star Wars into what seemed to be a very real, industrial setting. Like it actually existed and people actually lived.

I might be wrong about all the above, which is why I'm asking you all. But do you think too much credit goes to Lucas for Star Wars? He didn't even direct the OT!

2. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    Oh. My. *brain explodes*

Darth Chiznuk and Eryndil like this.
  3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    is GL overrated

in a word no

if you go by Edison:

Genius is 99 % Perspiration 1% inspiration

he put his ideas in to practice, which took a lot of hard work

in this sense,

no.

4. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Crap sorry it was really late when I posted that my bad...wasn't thinking AT ALL...

benknobi1 likes this.
  5. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
  6. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    well to be technical

he didn't direct two them :p

7. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    he didn't direct two of them! and to answer the original question: YES! i mean, sure yeah, i love the guy and everything. but as harrison ford said to david letterman "lucas provided the mcguffin". and all that means is that he threw the ideas up there and let other people sort out the nuts and bolts. all of the iconic ships and costumes and overall look of the glorious original trilogy were figured out by ralph mcquarrie and a buttload of miniature builders. and both Empire and Jedi were directed and written by more consummate filmmakers/writers. i've been saying all of this for ages now so this is nothing new. but yeah, ol' uncle george certainly got the ball rolling, but that ball was sculpted into a death star by many other hands.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  8. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    He is at the JC Forums, yes.

Garrett Atkins likes this.
  9. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    He sits around while people do the work he will take credit for, so yes.

10. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Why does GL get criticised so much more than other directors/writers....of coarse he had help in making his ideas into movies, everyone does, did Steven Spielberg get out his paper mâché kit and whip out ET...ah no, when Mel Gibson went out and made Braveheart I'm sure he didn't do it alone.

Have a look through the making of the ESB book because a lot of the designs used for that production were actually from the pen of Joe Johnson, even the final sketch for Boba Fett, so lumping a lot of the success of Star Wars on Ralph isn't really warranted, though he did help a lot.

A lot of people helped create the universe we all enjoy but the initial story comes from the brain of one man....a Mr. G. Lucas!!

Lets stop the negative campaign just for a bit aye

11. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    I wouldn't say over rated but he sure can be a polarizing figure when it comes to Star Wars.......for me, its love and hate.....such a loaded concept....

12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Overrated means he's rated too highly. Seems to me he's received alot of negative opinion in the past 14 years. Therefore I can't see how he is overrated. Maybe he's underrated.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He's gotten a lot of backlash for the past decade or so. I wouldn't say he's overrated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.