main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is the EU being destroyed by the PT???

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Ritual, Feb 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tobi-Wan

Tobi-Wan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2001
    The celebration in Coruscant was a celebration in a plaza which was almost immediately stopped by stormtroopers afterwards. This is explained in Iron Fist

2. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    That's the fix I was referring to.

3. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Im sure everyone has heard that allegedly there is a ' Jedi hopeful' named Mari Amethesyst in E2. Could this be GL's tip of the hat to the EU ? After all, the EU deserves that much since LFL is making $$$$ off all of us hand over fist.

4. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    By the way, Ive always liked SW since I was in diapers, but since the EU debuted in 1991 with HTTE, I absolutely LOVE SW. The GFFA means so mcuh more to me since then, and I truly have a much greater appreciation for the hard work those at LFL and Bantam/DelRey have doen over the years. My hat's off to all of you.

5. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    OK, some of you really scare me, OK?

First off: Lucas created Star Wars, Lucas' story, Lucas carries Star Wars, EU is an added plus.

Second: Lucas owes you nothing. If in fact you believe that the EU affects money sales of the films, what does that matter? Lucas is telling his story, it can contradict all he wants, it doesn't bother most people, and MOST people understand that the movies are a bit more CANON than the books, simply because the CREATOR of StarWars WROTE them. ::shakes head::

You may not like him, you may hate him, but he owes you nothing, and he defiantely doesn't need to ruin a movie by adding in a one dimensional book character.

Sorry guys, tough luck, EU does bring in money, but in essence, it doesnt' really matter all that much.

6. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    "and MOST people understand that the movies "

Dunno aboutthat,since I think most people don't visit SWs message boards and learn the difference between canon and official.

Xertainly I was like that,as were most of my friends.Hell,they're still like that.

Us JCers and other members of SWs discussion forums are a minority of SWs fans IMO.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Personally, the way I see it, Lucas doesn't have to abide by the EU when making his films...HOWEVER, I think he should feel some small amount of obligation to not go out of his way to contradict it.

For example, like was mentioned earlier, the three people who were most directly responsible, according to EU, in starting the Rebellion...now, say Lucas's Episode 3 script names 2 or 3 original characters to do so, but these new character's identities have no great impact upon the plot of the film's story, I don't see any reason why the names could be altered to adjust to the EU facts if it didn't affect the movie itself.

I've always been a huge fan of deep and epic fictional universes. Perhaps this started with the Star Wars EU since I was probably in grade school when HTTE came out, so I grew up along with it. Anyways, the Star Wars universe, even as presented in the films, has a real depth to it, a sense of realism that makes it very easy to immerse ones imagination into it. You always have this feeling of wanting to explore it further, see what that guy off to the side's story is or I'd be interested in knowing that creature's story or what was happening at Location A while the film was showing events at Location B. The EU allows our imagination to explore those possibilities, and thankfully, keeps it all together in a (generally) connected whole (although a whole that sometimes will occassionally have a few rough edges). Having this extent of continuity gives a greater sense of history and achievment to the Star Wars galaxy and makes it seem that much bigger and greater.

I suppose I could also put my own spin on an existing comparison; if Star Wars (as a whole, including EU) was a pizza: The movies would be the crust, sauce and cheese-because almost everyone will agree to having that, it's the basis of everything else. The EU is like Pepporoni- because while many like it, as it spices up the existing foundation, there are also many people who don't like the taste of it and simply pick it off without harming their enjoyment of the crust, sauce and cheese.

And Jar Jar is a lone anchovi...

8. Cowboy_Jedi

Cowboy_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2001
    Yes.

~Cowboy

9. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    I like anchovies!

10. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Why can't you guys just look at the films and EU as separate universes?

11. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    "Why can't you guys just look at the films and EU as separate universes? "

Exactly! That way you guys don't have to worry about "fixing thigs".

George Lucas could care-less if you guys are upset because he made the EU contradictory. I mean what are ya'll gonna do? He already has all that money you spent on books, comics, etc. George is gonna tell his story, his way, nothing will stop that.

~Cowboy

12. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    And more importantly, EUers dont have to wander into the movie forums and try to use an EU that's riddled with inconsistencies to explain things or predict future films.

13. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    "And more importantly, EUers dont have to wander into the movie forums and try to use an EU that's riddled with inconsistencies to explain things or predict future films. "

Yes, yes, to Padme Bra you listen.

14. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000

There's no need to, since it can all fit. If one doesn't read the EU, it shouldn't matter. They still have their precious movies, and everything straight from Lucas.

Continuity fixes are half the fun, IMO. I like seeing them pulled off by the official authors, and us, as fans of the books. Great way to spend time at the JC and Lit.

If it was in seperate universes, me and Valiento, and Ghengis and Bubba and Wedge wouldn't have many debates and discussions here. :)

George Lucas could care-less if you guys are upset because he made the EU contradictory.

Let's be thankful he hasn't contradicted anything yet, aside from Clone Wars dating and Owen Lars. The former will likely get a fix from Dan Wallace's new book in April.

I mean what are ya'll gonna do? He already has all that money you spent on books, comics, etc. George is gonna tell his story, his way, nothing will stop that.

And he's doing a great job. I'm glad that him and Lucasfilm Licensing have been working together since 1994 or so, to make sure that most everything doesn't clash. This is why he placed the Prequel era off-limits to writers until 1999, and why he's provided occasional ideas and information to the authors and game designers ( such as recent novels, Shadows of the Empire and Tales of the Jedi. )

And more importantly, EUers dont have to wander into the movie forums and try to use an EU that's riddled with inconsistencies to explain things or predict future films.

I just go to PSA to talk about AotC. But if I see EU bashing, I defend it. Also, if people are wrong in their assumptions, I will correct them. There's no need to live in ignorance.

15. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000

There's no need to, since it can all fit. If one doesn't read the EU, it shouldn't matter. They still have their precious movies, and everything straight from Lucas.

Continuity fixes are half the fun, IMO. I like seeing them pulled off by the official authors, and us, as fans of the books. Great way to spend time at the JC and Lit.

If it was in seperate universes, me and Valiento, and Ghengis and Bubba and Wedge wouldn't have many debates and discussions here. :)

George Lucas could care-less if you guys are upset because he made the EU contradictory.

Let's be thankful he hasn't contradicted anything yet, aside from Clone Wars dating and Owen Lars. The former will likely get a fix from Dan Wallace's new book in April.

I mean what are ya'll gonna do? He already has all that money you spent on books, comics, etc. George is gonna tell his story, his way, nothing will stop that.

And he's doing a great job. I'm glad that him and Lucasfilm Licensing have been working together since 1994 or so, to make sure that most everything doesn't clash. This is why he placed the Prequel era off-limits to writers until 1999, and why he's provided occasional ideas and information to the authors and game designers ( such as recent novels, Shadows of the Empire and Tales of the Jedi. )

I just go to PSA to talk about AotC. But if I see EU bashing, I defend it. Also, if people are wrong in their assumptions, I will correct them. There's no need to live in ignorance.

16. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000

17. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000

18. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    "And he's doing a great job. I'm glad that him and Lucasfilm Licensing have been working together since 1994 or so, to make sure that most everything doesn't clash. This is why he placed the Prequel era off-limits to writers until 1999, and why he's provided occasional ideas and information to the authors and game designers ( such as recent novels, Shadows of the Empire and Tales of the Jedi. ) "

I agree with you there.

It's a unusal happening if people just start bashing EU for no reason in there. The only time I've seen people bash EU is when EUer's start trying to use EU to explain things and/or claiming GL is going put EU characters, vechiles, etc. in the movies.

~Cowboy

19. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "I will correct them. There's no need to live in ignorance. "

See, that's exactly the attitude I'm talking about. Some people agree with Lucas and don't aknowledge the EU at all. To them it doesn't exist. So a lack of knowledge of it isn't ignorance, it's a choice. If you can accept that and stop pestering people with it, they'll stop pointing out how riddled with inconsistencies and how generally bad it all is.

20. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I'm going to clear up my stance.

Think of it this way. It takes a lot of money and time to make a movie. Lucas is going to want to do it his way. Where it would be nice if he tried not to contradict the EU, to make the story he wants, he just has to. The EU has been separate from the movies since the beginning, and it used to be a clear line. I guess it kind of blurred, but people have to realize they are two different things, read them and watch them that way.

21. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Please, people. We like to read the EU. There really aren't any contradictions (take it from someone who actually reads the EU), and the fact that you think there are, just makes you look ignorant. I'll continue to mention the EU in any comments I make in the PSA forum, simply to spice up, and add another dimension to the topics over there.

LFL and the EU all work hand in hand, and they try pretty hard not to screw with each other.

22. Padme Bra

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "the fact that you think there are, just makes you look ignorant. "

And the re-writes and logical leaps that EU apologists make to try to make everything fit makes you look rather silly.

23. Tellesto

Tellesto Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 1999
    • I think what most people don't have the patience for is when someone just insists that EU is fact and treats people who don't believe it as ignorant or misinformed. Just respect each other's beliefs on what is and isn't canon.

?PadmeBra, from the Attack of the Clones spoiler forum

• Why can't you guys just look at the films and EU as separate universes?

See, that's exactly the attitude I'm talking about. Some people agree with Lucas and don't aknowledge the EU at all. To them it doesn't exist. So a lack of knowledge of it isn't ignorance, it's a choice. If you can accept that and stop pestering people with it, they'll stop pointing out how riddled with inconsistencies and how generally bad it all is.

?PadmeBra, this thread

Just as you do not appreciate Expanded Universe fans going into the Star Wars movie discussion forums and pointing out how various stories or concepts can affirm a speculation or discussion many.. Expanded Universe fans do not appreciate canonists coming into the Literature forum and insisting that the stories they read are fill of inconsistencies and general bad writing.
    Like you yourself suggested it is more of a preference, respect one another?s beliefs upon what is and isn?t canon, a statement that very few themselves (I included) easily live up to.

• The movies and books live in a symbiont circle.

The movies sell the books and the books help sell the movies.

But dont expect a filmmaker to alter his work for them.

Film Makers are artists, they deserve to follow their own muses without allowing their creative decisions to be altered by the work of others.

?Muke Skywalker

I couldn?t have said this better myself, and it perfectly illustrates how George Lucas, like any filmmaker should not be bounded down by histories and characters he didn?t even create. The Expanded Universe is not being destroyed by the Prequel Trilogy in any shape or form other then a few plot bumps and character issues which are just as easily straightened out as they were displaced. Boba Fett was always a sketchy issue to begin with, and yet he?s one of the most popular characters in the entire Star Wars saga. To suggest that it was the author?s faults for writing a background for him that was poorly devised and full of plot inconsistencies is in turn naive. He was never meant by Lucas to be more then a background character to move the plot of Han Solo and Jabba the Hutt forward, but because of the fan base he became a beloved creation. A lot of writers, who are fans of Star Wars themselves felt the need to write and incorporate the character into their own stories because of that same love of him that the fan base felt. In doing this they needed to assume a background for him in many cases, and without a background provided by Lucas for a character that was never intended to have one they were left to improvise. Now that the Prequel Trilogy is coming to completion, that Star Wars is coming full circle, Lucas like those other authors has the inspiration to use Boba Fett in his story and finally fill in his background which is still the product of speculation and discontent. It isn?t a plot hole at all, and it doesn?t destroy the entire visage of the Expanded Universe, but it does assure that in the future authors will have a stable background to work from. The Expanded Universe experiencing these changes in backgrounds and history are minor if even that at all, because the story of the Expanded Universe revolves around Luke and Leia and Han, all characters who?s past have been affirmed already by the Original Trilogy.

Yet the future of the Expanded Universe is now wrought with opportunities, because now the authors have the truth presented before them, and in many cases such as the book Cloak of Deception, are being asked themselves to write in this truth into the tapestry which they helped create. They can finally explore stories within the timeline of the Clone Wars, tell us stories abou

24. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Damn my quadruple post. It was getting errors last night...Sorry everyone.

25. Cowboy_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Apology accepted Captain Ne......opps!

You are forgiven Sturm Antilles , it happens.

~Cowboy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.