main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Jacen Solo Fan Club: Forever in the Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by -Vergere-, Oct 14, 2001.

1. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    First, feel free for anyone reading this thread to join us at any time if this sounds like your kind of place.

Balance_Point, I would love to see your compilation of "Jacen-stuff." I would also love to see your list of Jacen's jokes from the YJK. Also very interesting insight on Jacen's character's reversal.

JediJSolo: I [hear] that Tenel Ka and Danni will both be in that book also, is this true, or is my information too old and been proved to be wrong by now?
    Tenel Ka has been confirmed, JJS. I'm still unsure about Danni although I hear she makes an appearance. From SW Insider:
    But the heart of Star by Star involves a dangerous mission behind enemy lines to find the origin of the voxyn, a ferocious species of clones bred by the Vong to hunt down and destroy users of the Force. Young Anakin Solo leads that mission, joined by his sister and brother and a group of Jedi Knights that includes such familiar names as Tenel Ka, Raynar Thul and Zekk.

I-poodoo, thanks for partially answering Jacen's 180-degree character reversal from that issue of SW gamer. I'm not sure a traumatic or "great" event could realistically explain Jacen's role reversal. But I suppose it would depend on the event.

Jedi_Aub, you bring up some interesting points. As a Jacen fan, I have also been frustrated by him at times. But that just makes me want to read about him more. I echo your hunch :)

Here are some questions I personally could not answer:
    Balance_Point: does anyone know if Jacen and Jaina make any cameos in [JJK] as Anakin does in YJK?
    JediJSolo: Balance_Point, do you know if anything happened to Jacen in Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight?
    I believe I-poodoo handles your question here, JJS.

2. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Piett_clone, feel free to invite anyone from "Noble Followers of Jacen Solo" if they're still around. If I had known, we could have tried to simply revive that thread...

3. ForceAlly

ForceAlly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2001
    "does anyone know if Jacen and Jaina make any cameos in [JJK] as Anakin does in YJK?"

I'm a little confused here. I remembered there was a happy family reunion at the end of YJK, with all the Solos, Droids, Skywalker (sorry, folks, Mara is still forbidden at the time of YJK,) Chewbacca and Lowbacca, and the Hapes royalties. And I am not sure if there was a family reunion at #6 of JJK.

But at #1 of JJK, it did mention that Jacen and Jaina were back to Coruscant.

"if anything happened to Jacen in Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight?"

All the Solo kids are not mentioned at Planet of Twilight. Again, I am not sure if these kids are with Leia in the vacation/mission to Ithor, but I think not.

Where are those novels when you need them :mad:

4. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I'm here! Jacen is definately on of my favorite EU characters. The YJK is what really made me a die-hard SW fan. I like them so much that I actually bought them. I just wish he'd use his lightsaber in the NJO.

5. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    I believe I-poodoo and ForceAlly are correct, JediJSolo; there's little, if any mention of Jacen and the other Solo kids in both Children of the Jedi and Planet of Twilight (which begs the question--why do I own these novels again...?). I only skimmed through them just now, so I'm not 100% sure, but there isn't any more than a passing reference in any case.

And now, for the entertainment of all (these will either make you laugh, or scratch your head in utter bewilderment), here's the list of Jacen's jokes from the fourteen books of the YJK series. They're in order of appearance; twenty in all. It should be noted that these attempts at humor are almost always followed by groans from those unfortunate enough to hear them in the books. You have been warned. :)

Q: What do you call the person who brings a rancor its dinner?

A: The appetizer!

Q: You know why TIE fighters scream in space?

A: Because they miss their mothership!

Q: What goes ha-ha-ha? thump!

A: A droid laughing its head off!

"Hey, I heard two droids talking the other day. The first said, 'Well, did you beat the Wookie at sabacc?' and the second said, 'Yes, but it cost me an arm and a leg!'"

Q: How many stormtroopers does it take to change a glowpanel?

A: It takes two stormtroopers to change a glowpanel. One stormtrooper to change it, and the other one to shoot him and take credit for all the work.

Q: How long does Uncle Luke need to sleep?

A: One Jedi night!

Q: Do you know why the bantha crossed the Dune Sea?

A: To get to the other side!

Q: What?s the difference between an AT-AT and a stormtrooper on foot?

A: One?s an Imperial Walker, and the other?s a walking Imperial! (This one is my favorite... :))

Q: Know why a wampa snow monster has such long arms?

A: Because his hands are so far away from his body!

Q: Why is a droid mechanic never lonely?

A: Because he?s always making new friends!

Q: Which side of an Ewok has the most fur?

A: The outside!

Q: What do Jawas have that no other creature in the galaxy has?

A: Baby Jawas!

Q: Do you know what sound Whiphids make when they kiss?

A: Ouch!

Q: How do you tell the difference between a rancor?

A: One of its legs are both the same.

"Buzz buzz."
    "Ah... who is there?"
    "Dismay."
    "Dismay who?"
    "Dismay not seem funny to you, but I'm hoping you'll at least smile."

Q: What does an Imperial Star Destroyer wear to a formal occasion?

A: A bow TIE!

Q: How many thermal detonators does it take to blow up an Imperial weapons depot?

A: All of them!

Q: Where does a full-grown bantha sit?

A: Anywhere he wants to!

"Two Gamorrean guards are walking down a narrow, deserted canyon, when suddenly a rancor comes out and starts chasing them. One of the Gamorreans stops to put on his best running shoes. 'Don?t waste time,' shouts the other, 'you can?t outrun a rancor with those!!' 'I don?t have to outrun a rancor,' says the first one as he finishes lacing his shoes, 'I just have to outrun you!'"

(Wow, that only took three edits to get right... :D)

Anedon likes this.
  6. Jedi_Aub

Jedi_Aub Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2001
    After reading those jokes, I permanently disassociate myself from this club and will forever bash Jacen in any and all threads from this point forward.

7. Balance_Point

Jul 10, 2001
    I did warn you, Jedi_Aub. :p

8. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    Nice work Balance_Point!

Can you find that joke Tenel making fun at Jacen at Jedi Under Sidge?

Speaking of silly jokes, here are two from Lucas Learning's CGI game Star Wars: Droidworks

Q: What do Ewoks put on the floors of their homes?
    A: Endor/outdoor carpeting!

Q: What do you get when you bug a droid for too long?
    A: An annoyed driod!

9. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Is this the club for those who want Jacen thrown into a big fan?

10. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Haha, Balance_Point - thanks for the knee-slappers! ;)

Alderaan_, welcome to the club! =)

Updated team :
    • ForceAlly
    • Balance_Point
    • I-poodoo
    • JediJSolo
    • Jedi_Aub
    • Piett_clone
    • Alderaan_
    • -Vergere-
    If you see any mistakes, omissions, etc, definitely point them out!

11. Jedi_Aub

Jedi_Aub Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2001
    OK, there's bad jokes, and then there's absolutely horrible jokes that should never be reprinted anywhere ever again. Next time Balance_Point, I'll heed your warnings.

12. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    I must admit they were pretty horrible but Jacen has had the reputation of making horrible jokes ever since those books came out. So I was already prepared ;)

Anyhow, they were so bad, they really made me laugh..

13. addyjedi

addyjedi Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2001
    Sure!! I'll join your Jacen Fan Club. I've read the YJK and JJK books, and NJO. But where can I find the book that connects the two series???

14. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    To all the people that answered my question about Barbara Hambly?s SW books, thanks for the conformation that I didn?t miss much by skipping those books, I do appreciate it.

-Vergere-, I suppose I should thank you for correcting my grammatical error. Some would think that with all of those types of errors that I make that I would have gotten over it by now, but I haven?t. I still get embarrassed when I make them and actually post them for the entire world to see?

Balance_Point, I had forgotten more of those jokes than I had thought. Thank you for posting them. I could try to defend Jacen?s lack of good jokes, but that might be too difficult. I suppose that, in the end, I would try to chalk it up to youthful exuberance, but that might be considered a stretch. :)

15. Balance_Point

Jul 10, 2001
    I'm pretty sure even Jacen knows how bad they are... that's probably why he keeps telling them. Could it be a sign of the Dark Side? :)

16. Balance_Point

Jul 10, 2001
    MoronDude: "Is this the club for those who want Jacen thrown into a big fan?"

Nope. Try next door. Bye now!

17. JediJSolo

JediJSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    addyjedi: ?I've read the YJK and JJK books, and NJO. But where can I find the book that connects the two series????

First I would like to be among the people to welcome you here. But to answer you question, I don?t think there is one. There is the short story ?The Crystal? (that is acutely about Jaina) in Star Wars Gamer #5 that I-poodoo and Balance_Point mentioned earlier, but I don?t think there is anything else.

Balance_Point: Using bad joke to purposefully torture your friends is of the dark side? Well that could be? I suppose I should stop doing that then, huh. :p

18. _admiral_kettch_

_admiral_kettch_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 3, 2001
    I'm definitely in. I agree with Jacen's philosophical mindset moreso than any other character in the NJO.

19. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Welcome, addyjedi!

Updated team :
    • ForceAlly
    • Balance_Point
    • I-poodoo
    • JediJSolo
    • Jedi_Aub
    • Piett_clone
    • Alderaan_
    • addyjedi
    • -Vergere-
    If any of you see any mistakes, omissions, etc, definitely point them out!

JJS:I could try to defend Jacen?s lack of good jokes, but that might be too difficult.
    Don't forget what Balance_Point mentioned here in defense of Jacen's jokes which I thought was interesting:
    Balance_Point:I believe Mike Stackpole's attempt in Onslaught went something like "Jacen had been blessed--or cursed--with a sensitivity that he once hid behind labored jokes."

Yoda: Must avoid bad jokes, a good jedi should!

20. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    _admiral_kettch_, good to see'ya!

I'm sure we'll get into identifying Jacen's "philosophies" soon enough. I will certainly try to point them out in the "essay" I intend on writing on Jacen during his NJO days. Right now, we're just talking about Jacen in the pre-NJO books.

Updated team :
    • ForceAlly
    • Balance_Point
    • I-poodoo
    • JediJSolo
    • Jedi_Aub
    • Piett_clone
    • Alderaan_
    • addyjedi
    • _admiral_kettch_

• -Vergere-
    If any of you see any mistakes, omissions, etc, definitely point them out! Jedi_Aub, I hope you'll forgive the space between the A and the u in your nick. I can't seem to figure out how to dispose of the space!

21. Jedi_Aub

Jedi_Aub Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2001
    Thinking more about it now - did the authors, by having Jacen tell all those groan-inducing bad jokes, set Jacen up to be an introverted philosophical ponderer with marginal social skills who has difficulty finding a group (or idea) where he fits in?

(Sorry, late night rambling...)

22. Jacean_Solo

Jacean_Solo Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2001
    I'm with ya too.....

I've read all of the YJK, and all of the NJO so far. I'd like to have found the JJK but never had. I like Jacen alot. He's gotten a bum rap just because he thinks alil before he acts....anyway. I'm in

23. ForceAlly

Oct 4, 2001
    I think Telling those bad jokes, Jacen was trying to cheer thing up and lightten the tension. Or just playing silly at times.... Jacen only told bad jokes to his close friends.

Come to think about it, most responses Jacen got was "A, Aha." :p

24. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    Welcome, Jacean_Solo!

Updated team :
    • ForceAlly
    • Balance_Point
    • I-poodoo
    • JediJSolo
    • Jedi_Aub
    • Piett_clone
    • Alderaan_
    • addyjedi
    • _admiral_kettch_
    • Jacean_Solo

• -Vergere-
    If any of you see any mistakes, omissions, etc, definitely point them out! Jedi_Aub, I hope you'll forgive the space between the A and the u in your nick.

25. -Vergere-

Jul 31, 2001
    I do have a question for you all having to do with pre-NJO. From what you all were saying earlier, it sounded like Jacen & Jaina have prominent roles in YJK, but are left of the JJK. Is that correct?

And what, if anything, have we determined to be the cause of his character reversal from the YJK to the NJO?
    • Anakin's brash and unthinking use of the Force made Jacen think
    • Jacen's labored jokes hid a more personal, introspective side
    • A few months between the end of the YJK and the beginning of the NJO allowing plenty of time for a complete role reversal
    Anything else?