main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Jaina Solo Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Kit_Kat, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelAllianceBarbie

RebelAllianceBarbie Jedi Knight

Jan 6, 2007
    ooooOOOOHHHHhhhh! That's gorgeous, FenigDurak!

2. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    I'll be there! I'll be wearing my Jaina for atleast a few hours(i have way too many costumes to wear over the weekend).

3. larame_kaine

larame_kaine Jedi Knight star 2

May 17, 2005
    I will be there with hopefully three Jaina costumes (Black jumpsuit, NEGTC, and V2.0 of the Refugee costume)

-Larame

4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    OMG... the voxyn is fuzzy!! That's just too cute! ;)

I haven't gotten anything done yet on my Reunion costume lately. My Leia poster dress is a little higher on the priority list for me, so I'll probably be working on it for a while before moving back to Jaina.

Sleeveless... do you mean the Reunion/Refuguee cover outfits (in whichever color)? Huh, it hadn't occured to me that the band under the belt could be a mini-obi. I'd assumed it was a band attached to the pants, like in this pattern here, which is what I used for mine. Looking at the picture again, though, I can see how it could be either design. It's cool how different interpretations can work for these costumes, especially the EU ones.

5. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    Yeah, the Refugee one (I did it in brown). I thought about that at first and thats what I was going to do, pants with a band. But I wanted to kind of tie in the traditional 'Jedi' so I just made a separate band that goes under the belt. It's only one layer though and not as wide an an obi.

-Larame

6. PrincessSolo

PrincessSolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2003
    Yeah I did something like that with mine. In the American cover it kinda looked like there was an obi or something. I made a simple one out of the shirt fabric. Goodness I need to redo that outfit!

I can't tell whether to go with tan again, or try and find some greenish tan fabric, we'll see. Right now I'm working on redoing the Black Jumpsuit. Got some new boots and I HOPE they fit T___T And I've settled on the fabric I'll get...now I just need money for it XD

~Princess Solo

7. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    So my other buddy who does Jaina Solo is finishing up her version of the black jumpsuit for some photoshoots we're all having this weekend (I'm doing some anime stuff). I'm really excited to see her belt because she was going more with her own original design for it using two strips of leather and rivets and stuff.

She wanted to borrow my hilt for photos and I said no. Yeah, that might make me a bitch, but considering we've all talked about how personal most Jaina stuff is for some of us, I think some of you might understand my feelings. So she went without telling anyone and made her own off one of those hilt tutorials. It is SO freaking cool, I could stare at it forever. It's not pure silver like all ref pics show and what I think all of us with hilts have done so far, but the black accents she has for it, especially at the hilt end and for all the ribbing is such a freaking cool accent. Here's the pic she's got up of it:

http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1024958

How's everyone doing? I have my boots for the black jumpsuit. I love them to death, they are so uber perfect. Costume is a bit on hiatus right now though because I am devoid of money to buy the jumpsuit fabric XD Hopefully I'll get started on it in another week. My boyfriend is funding my lightsaber hilt upgrades as an anniversary present thankfully ^^

~Princess Solo

8. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Ah, she's been visiting the Lightsabers from the Big Yellow Box site.

That saber doesn't look very Jaina-ish though, it's a modified Ep1 Obi-Wan. Nice execution of her first self built saber, though. [face_peace]

9. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    Which is why I like the ribbed lines so much <--- big Obi-Wan nut XD

It's way cool when people make saber hilts though. I know it's mostly just going to the hardware store and picking up the right pieces to put together....but just doing that totally amazes me!

~Princess Solo

10. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    I just found out the seamstress who is helping me with the costumes isn't going to be able to help me anymore. She's making a shaak ti for civ and has to finish up. Shes still going to finish the NEGTC costume for me, but I'm on my own with the black jumpsuit. Hopefully it wont be to bad, the pattern doesnt look insanely hard.

I'm getting one more Jaina saber in april, so I'll have a spare. (The saber maker I bought it from is not going to be making them anymore).

I still have to order my hair braids. (I'm annoyed I chopped off my perfect Jaina hair that I had, minus the fact that it was black...but my natural color is brown... it will grow back).

I'm also working on a pair of what I call 'dress' robes. It's just a traditional jedi costume but more girly and made out of a 'dressy' looking fabric. I figure it would be nice for formal functions. And I figure it could be very Jaina seeing as how Leia was chief of state and could afford to buy nice clothes and look formal on occasions. I'm making these out of crepe satin, and using the shiny side where the hems are. It looks pretty, and it't uber soft to wear!!!

-Larame

11. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    Ooo sounds fun! Sorry about the seamstress having to bail....can't wait to see her Shaak Ti though! wow. And I'll be going off the same pattern as you as soon as I start everything in about a week...so if you have any problems we could try and figure them out together or something. I already know I wont be making it as skin tight as the pattern is supposed to be, since in the ref shot it's more very expertly tailored than skin tight/very form-fitted. It's nice and tailored around her waist and legs, but the part around the boots has some minor folds as do the sleeves. i hate making mock-ups, so I might just go with a bigger pattern size when making the outfit and just tailor things where I see fit.

~Princess Solo

12. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    I'm making the large size probably, as opposed to the small. I will just take it in. The only thing I'm worried about is that damn line in the middle where you're supposed to use a different fabric. Since these need to be one fabric I dont want to have that line going straight across my chest. Have you been able to look at the pattern yet and see if we can maybe just tape the three pieces together so we can cut them out as one? Mines still in the package.

Wish us luck everyone!

-Larame

13. Jaina_SoIo

Jaina_SoIo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 2005
    Hi guys! I'm here to share the Jaina love. :)

Princess Solo directed me to this forum, so I thought I'd pop in and say hello. Jaina Solo is my all-time favorite character from any of my fandoms, I just love the gal. :D I made a Jaina Solo costume a couple of years ago; you can see some pictures of it here:

http://www.tempered-steel.net/cosplay/jaina.html

I know I don't look much like Jaina with blond hair and blue eyes, but I love Jaina SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much, I don't care! She's so freaking rad, I literally grew up when she did during the NJO books.

I made myself Jaina's black jumpsuit from the cover of Destiny's Way and Force Heretic: Remnant; I modified the belt a bit, because I thought the belt was kind of plain looking (and after seeing how cool all the belts of the prequels looked, who wouldn't want to spruce it up a bit?), and I didn't have a lot of cash to drop on the costume so buying a nice Jaina-looking lightsaber was out of the question. So I made my own, from a tutorial from Lightsabers from the Yellow Box! I think Princess Solo posted a link to it a few posts back. I had so much fun making it! Honestly, this is so lame to say, but I really felt like a Jedi when I was building it! LOL. I know it doesn't look anything like Jaina's lightsaber, but it is infinitely nicer looking than a cheap plastic lightsaber, which was all I had before making my hilt. D: And I only paid $30 for materials, so I guess I don't feel so bad. XD

I also made my boyfriend a Jag Fel costume. I did my best to research what Jag might have worn in the books (since reference pictures don't show very much of what he wears), and I came to the conclusion that he wore something similar to an Imperial Officer uniform. I modified it a bit; I gave him some red piping on his collar to replicate the picture of Soontir Fel on the cover of one of the Japanese Force Heretic covers, and I also gave him Corellian blood stripes. I know, I know, Jag shouldn't be allowed to wear them, but I wanted to associate him more with his father and less with an Imperial (since technically he's more Chiss than Imperial), which is why I also omitted a rank cylinder (I thought it looked too Imperial). I asked my friend to embroider me a Chiss Insignia patch, but he couldn't find the time to make it before we took pictures, so maybe we'll have it for C4. At anyrate, I did the best I could with the resources I had, so I hope ya'll like my interpretation of it. :)

We took pictures today on the USS Midway (an aircraft carrier), so when I get the pictures back I'll post them here! :D I'm glad to find a group of people I can share my love for Jaina and costuming with! The more Jaina costumers, the better! I'll definitely be happy to hang out with ya'll at C4!

14. DOMNUSKYWALKER

DOMNUSKYWALKER Jedi Master star 2

Aug 12, 2005
    If you are using the one pattern that looks like a wet suite, Lay the PATTERN pieces out. the pieces are separated right across the breast line. I know there is a separation that appears in the fron not sure if it goes all the way around. But on the front part put that patern peice over one another in the place it would be sewn but move it down 5/8" for the seam allowance. then place the shoulder piece at the top of it allowing the 5/8" seam allowance lightly tape peices in place litley tape in place, then you can cut from one piece of fabric If you are using spandex it should conform to your body if not you may need to put in some stratigic darts for conture. This patern has a zipper a hidden zipper techique would be best suited and it would make it cleaner lines in the front

15. DOMNUSKYWALKER

Aug 12, 2005
    I watch the tread some but dont post much, Ive been working with Larame_Kain. Im just not abel to make the black costume for her. Time constraints on my Shaak Ti.

16. DOMNUSKYWALKER

Aug 12, 2005
    Ive seen your pics. You do a great Jaina blond and all. Just a note. When people take your pic be sure to ask them if everything is striaght and not poking out. I hate that you get a great picture and one of your sides are not straight. Ive had pic of me putting on my cloak posted on a site and I had food in my hands it was oh so sad. But you've done a great job with your Jaina.

17. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    Thanks for the tips!

It wont be as good as if you were making it but hopefully it will be wearable. I need to learn somehow!

I cant wait for your Shaak Ti, it's going to be awesome!

-Larame

18. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    Well here it is! The costume looks great in this pic, I however am having issues. =X

The funny look on my face was because of the sun, and yes, I am that pale.

This picture has also prompted me to start excercising...I cant believe how much weight I've gained in the past 6 months. >_<

I would have done the refugee pose but those pants wont allow me to bend that far. =D Thats the main reason this costume is b v1.0.

So here it is...the pic was done by our TA rep. Thanks to Jason!

http://www.thejediorder.org/images/jaina.jpg

-Larame

19. PrincessSolo

Jul 21, 2003
    ooo HEY I really like that hon! Looks like it fits great and I love how the belt looks, totally awesome. I am so excited for us all to get together at CIV!

Hopefully I'll be getting my pattern and fabric this week so I can start on my own black jumpsuit. Since JS recently posted, she's the one I'd always mention as "my friend" in previous posts and who I've linked to before. You will definitely all be in for a treat when you see her black jumpsuit pics, especially with her bf as Jag!! I'm not a staunch supporter of any particular guy for Jaina right now, but duuuuuude JS's boyfriend looks so perfect and awesome as Jag and if any of you here are big for JainaxJag then you will all be ecstatic I think ^^ I'm not sure if she mentioned it in her post but she got a brown wig for this outfit of Jaina, instead of going with her naturally long blonde hair and she makes such a great brunette! I think all the rest of us here have naturally brown hair or dye it to be brown, but if you ever end up needing a wig for Jaina I'd definitely say to get a style like JS used because it worked so well.

Hope everyone is doing with with their outfits! Before we know it CIV will be right around the corner.

~Princess Solo

20. Jaina_SoIo

Jul 25, 2005
    Hey guys--

I got back some of the pictures taken on the aircraft carrier of mine and my boyfriend's Jaina and Jag costumes. Here's a couple of links to the pictures my friend took of us:

http://lionboogy.livejournal.com/367517.html?#cutid1
    http://lionboogy.livejournal.com/367312.html?#cutid1

I hope you all approve! :) I really had a fantastic time taking these pictures on board the ship, though I got a few stares!

21. larame_kaine

May 17, 2005
    *cries*
    I cant see them! My work blocks any type of blog thing. When you get a chance do you think you could stick them up on cosplay.com?

Pleasssssse???
    =D

-Larame

22. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    O
    M
    G

That.. is brilliant

23. Jaina_SoIo

Jul 25, 2005
    Absolutely! I'm going to be posting a bunch of pictures on there, so when I do I'll link them.

Thanks guys!

24. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    LOL that is awsome! What Carrier is that on? I used to be stationed onboard the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower. I havn't seen a foscle in forever!

No worries Larame, I love doing that stuff!

25. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    excellent pictures! well done! love the F-4 in the second set of pics!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.