main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 8, 2007.

1. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
  2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I picked up the movie on DVD/Blu-Ray (package had both). Watching in DVD atm - the quality of image is sorely lacking compared to I-Max 3D. Go figure.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While I sort of admire them abandoning all DVD content (from menus to studio logos) to fit as much image quality onto the disc, they should have done so with a second disc that DID have all that stuff.

As it is, I'm gonna wait for the real 4-disc release in nov. I might even upgrade to BRD for it.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I was going to pick the Blu Ray ver up yesterday but I put it back after I looked at the back cover and saw that no special features were listed so I put it back.

5. Raven

Oct 5, 1998
    The only special features I ever care about are extra/deleted scenes. So, lack of "making of" and commentary don't really bother me much. Well, I guess I do listen to the commentary on some films, but not many, not often. Last one I listened to was Star Trek.

6. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    There is another version being released in November, that will have the special features. It will also most likely have the 6 or so minutes of extra footage that will be included in the August(?) cinematic re-release.

Then a few years down the track, we will be getting the 3D-Blu Ray version. (They are waiting until 3D TV's and BR players are more mainstream).

So, summing up, it looks like we are going down the LOTR road of double/triple dipping in home movie releases. :(

7. azizajalal

azizajalal Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2010
    I really enojyed are Aliens and the original Terminator, but the long hiatus makes me wonder if he improved or became worse.

Tinting

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's supposed to be a 4-disc set, which will (at least in the BRD version, though I hope they'll take advantage of the alternate angle function of DVD for once) supposedly allow you to flip back and forth between the film and the actual onset footage/capture footage.

9. Thumpy

Thumpy Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    My wife and I watched it twice togther on DVD already, so we got our money's worth. As for newer releases with special features, etc....nah, I'll pass. Cameron's not taking anymore $$ from me.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's just funny that they'd put out this "most bare bones DVD in history" release, when Cameron's films were pretty much the championing examples of extra features that pushed the concept through the laserdisc market into what the DVD has become today. Things like Aliens: SE, The Abyss: SE and, most notable of all, T2: Ultimate Edition are keystone releases in home video evolution, which were even improved upon (at least for the latter two) for their DVD rereleases.

11. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Will Jake Sully be helping to cause Genocide of the Na'vi?

Jake, now in his Na'vi body, has 5 fingers.

Na'vi have 4 fingers.

If Jake and Ney'tiri have children, won't he be helping to fundamentally change their DNA?

Come to think of it, why would Ney'tiri find Jake attractive? Would YOU fall in love with someone who had 12 fingers / 12 toes ... or on the flip side 8 fingers / 8 toes? It would be weird!

12. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, unfortunately, Love is not a logical reaction. Now, physical attraction can be quantified. And there are a wide, wide, wide variety of fetishes, from pony-play to furries to YE GADS!!! Some people like different. Foreign accents are one of the easiest major attractors.

13. Raven

Oct 5, 1998

Having six fingers isn't exactly unheard of. Neither is having fewer, usually due to injury.

Genocide? I doubt it. Even if some human genes enter the Na'vi genepool, that doesn't mean that they aren't Na'vi.

14. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Okay, so I've finally gotten around to watching this movie and I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed. After all the hype about it I would have thought it was the greatest movie ever made. It's not. There are many movies I think are better than this one. In fact, I don't think it's even Cameron's best work. I know I certainly liked the Terminator movies a lot more. The truth is I found a lot of Avatar to be quite boring. There was far too much focus on Sully learning the Na'vi way and going native. I could get that in any number of movies. The action scenes towards the end also bogged down the pace of the film and only became a series of generic explosions. The only time I was on the edge of my seat was when the home tree was destroyed. The fact that the movie crams the moral of the story (environmentalism= good/ corporations=bad) also really turns me off. If there's one word I could sum this movie up in it would be 'didactic.'

- Can someone tell me why the 'good' human females are the ones who get to die?
    - Unobtanium? Really? That's the best they could come up with? As far as macguffins go it's one of the lamest I've ever heard of.
    - I rather liked the head corporation guy (whatever his name was). You could tell he was having second thoughts by the end of the movie. I would have like to have seen him have some sort of moral awakening during the course of the movie. Maybe for the sequel...
    - The idea of the planet being interconnected like that is super cool, even if it's not particularly original.
    - Too much hissing from the characters. It annoyed me.
    - Oh yeah, the visuals are spectacular. I'm glad I have an HDTV to watch this on.
    - The love story just sort of seemed to be tacked on.

All in all, I found this to be an OK movie. Entertaining for the most part. But not one I think I'd watch again in a hurry.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So I picked up the Blu-Ray collector's set last week so I could watch it over a friend's house on his player (since I don't have a BRD yet, but will eventually, and don't want to rebuy this to get the good extras).

The Extended Edition improves upon the Special Edition from August (which, itself, improved upon the Theatrical Edition- all three versions are here, though). From small things that address common questions (like how the mountains float) to an excellent herd hunting scene that probably has the best piece of music on the otherwise bland score.

The Extended goes more into Augustine and the backstory of the school, and reveals that Ney'tiri had a sister who was killed (presumably this is meant to explain her attitude when we first meet her).

The other hyped deleted scenes, such as the alternate opening on Earth, are also effective.

The Blu-Ray also has 45-60 minutes of deleted or extended scenes (in various stages of completion) that has some real gems in there that you just know will be finished for a future re-release down the road. Some good stuff with Jake's mission of giving data to the Col. (which sets up and enhances the data used to incriminate him later on) as well as him revealing this to Augustine and Norm while having to justify his final test to the Na'vi (which is a drug-induced vision quest that we now see), more of Norm's high expectations and jealousy (he's also involved with Trudy, which sheds some light on some subtle inetractions between them in the rest of the movie).

Also a few more scenes of the Col- he explains the "Pandora Rules" that were annoyingly cut away from early on in the theatrical cut, and scenes later on where he's conscripting the miners as a militia to fill out the ranks for the final battle (which leads to a conflict with Parker, who threatens to call back to Earth to have th Col replaced after the Col declares he has emergency authority over all assets- including the miners and mining explosives; Quaritch chokes him in response, pointing out that they are a long ways from Earth).

The best one, though, which was such a pleasant surprise (as it's something I've long wondered about) is a deleted sequence during the final battle that shows what Max is doing- alongside all the other Avatars we saw in the background earlier in the movie that otherwise vanish for the rest of the film (though a couple can still be seen while the humans are leaving at the end in the final film- they have human clothing and guns): they seize the Avatar lab and using some of the mining equipment to attack the command tower (which is being used to coordinate the attack against the Na'vi), allowing the other Avatars, armed with guns, to subdue everyone.

16. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    So is this Blu Ray the 3D edition?

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, it's 2D but unlike the previous release, this has extras- the 3 versions of the film and all the special features you'd expect out of a Cameron video release. Obviously the BRD has more than the DVD (though the DVD does have the Extended scenes isolated on one of it's discs).

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    RedLetterMedia 's review on youtube is great! Only 2 parts, so it's not like the hour&half of TPM or RotS

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Speaking at a screening for "Titanic 3D", Producer Jon Landau confirmed it would be a good wait before we return to Pandora - "We are excitedly working on it as we speak and it will be four or so years before it will be out"

This would seem to push back the release of the second film to 2016, quite a jump from the December 2014 & 2015 dates for the two sequels that were previously being targeted.

Landau is confident however it'll be a better film than the first - ?We are excited and we have a lot of the same team working with us, some great design and ideas and some great themes hopefully.?

20. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    A better movie would be good.
    Maybe we can get something like... 3D characters instead of 2D cardboard caricatures propped up with 3D glasses and effects?
    A story beyond the basic simplistic "imperialism bad/tree-hugging good".