main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 8, 2007.

1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    So Sigourney Weaver can be the new Alec Guiness?

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I finally got to see this. I caught a 3D showing at noon at the local cinema. It's definitely worth the extra price they were charging for 3D. I loved it - didn't look at my watch once.

3. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I finally got to see this last night, and I was blown away. The 3D felt so comfortable, and I don't care how predictable people say the story was. It was presented in a way that was so fresh and unique, it was just a joy to watch.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    That show kicked nine's kinds of ass. Saw the 3-D ver. yesterday and we are going back tomorrow. 8.25 well spent.....

5. Vaynx_Fett

Vaynx_Fett Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2009
    this movie was really awesome, i enjoyed the hell out of it. i also watched it in 3d and was definitley worth the price. the movie was really long and to be honest i didnt want it to end haha i got so into it.

6. Retractor

Retractor Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2010
    I really liked this in 3d even though that movies that have an impact on me turn out to look bad in a few years and I get a hangover like what Titanic did...

7. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    The situation is very Nen Yim (read the Wookieedia entry or The Final Prophecy!).

There's one theory on TVtropes about how the Na'vi are a highly advanced species conveniently unaware they created the planetary neural network.

I wonder if the Na'vi could go the way of the Yuuzhan Vong: Ikran are slightly like coralskippers, with the queue being like a cognition hood. Na'vi conquering the galaxy after beating back the mechanical enemy? Unlikely, but...

8. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Saw it on IMAX 3D. Loved it. Even found myself shedding an occasional tear or two.

And I don't mind the similarities to Dances with Wolves, since I loved that film as well. A movie doesn't have to be completely original to be enjoyable. It can still be an awesome journey. I could easily watch this film again.

9. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Because both would be direct and unnecessary escalations of force against the rest of the military, which means they would DEFINITELY come gunning for her. As she stated later, she was hoping for a military strategy that wouldn't make her a matyr.

Is this because no white person can do it for himself?

It was the gold of the Americas, and the oil of the Middle East, and any other commodity that some group wanted to take from another group.

Actually, this is happening right now. Many vets aren't receiving the medical care they need, if not losing it completely, and this was happening even before the market fall out. Ever heard of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center?

Cameron is talking about the state of our society and the mistakes that we are making, but he's not saying humans are incapable of making the right choice - otherwise, there would be no human protagonists in the film, right? Abyss was the same way - at least in the director's cut - about how close to war we were getting, and nature (the tidal wave) was brought in as a wake-up call.

Besides, the point was to show that the Na'vi body already gave him that which he desired the most - the ability to walk. Was he willing to destroy the Na'vi society so that his own would enable him to walk, or should he save the Na'vi society so that he could walk among them.

10. Thumpy

Thumpy Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    Loved the movie!

Think there will be a sequel?

11. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Cameron's already said yes. He actually wants to make two more.

12. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
  13. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    OMG are those people for real? Depressed because they want to live on Pandora.

14. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Nope... they're CG.

15. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I saw it a week ago with my dad and my cousin and it blew me away. Obviously the CG was amazing and surprisingly the plot was great.

16. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    It was Cowboys and Indians on another planet.

17. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Actually, more like Dances with Wolves, but I liked that movie, so that's okay with me. :D

18. juliant

juliant Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2010
    last sunday I've seen this movie. visual effects are too good.

19. Thumpy

Thumpy Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2005
    awesome! Go Cameron!

20. saturn5

saturn5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2009
    Saw it tonight, thought it was excellent, lots of allusions to Aliens which is always a good thing (Michelle Rodriguez VERY Vasquez but even more gorgeous). God how I love Sigourney, still hot today (although there may have been some CGI?) Very much Dances with Aliens but truly great

21. JEDI-SOLO

Feb 12, 2002
    If he is making two more films, does anyone know what plots he has planned for them?

22. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    If these folks bother to venture beyond their local video game shop, they might come to understand that we live in a world just as beautiful. But of course, that may draw them into environmentalism, and who wants that? Too much work. Isn't it preferable to cry one's eyes out on an Internet forum?

23. saturn5

saturn5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2009
    Actually I thought that aspect of the story was a bit OTT, even in Dances with Wolves the Indian tribes fought one another. Surely the lives of the Naavi (?) must be 'brutal, violent and short'? And I don't buy the idea of a spear piercing a gunships armoured plexiglass cockpit?

Also did anyone else keep expecting Parker (Alien ref?) to strip to his underwear or have I been watching too much My Name is Earl?

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    No. I've only heard that the story continues after Avatar ends.

25. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    It won the Golden Globe for best picture.

Seriously.

Why do I get the feeling the Hollywood Foreign Press were throwing a bone to average movie goers to pay attention to their snobbish pretensions.

There were trailers out this year with more sincerity, craft, and depth then Avatar.

If they wanted to award a film that had tremendous general audience appeal, they should have rewarded "The Dark Knight" last year. Maybe this is their realization they need to be a little more public friendly...as it was, most the awards last night went to stuff most people in Hollywood, let alone the rest of the world, will see.