main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JC.N GL - Official X-Wing Alliance Wing!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth-Hannibal, Aug 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    Lane, you might want to try the Omega drivers, which may help the chipset's compatibility with older games.

2. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    No luck, that was one of the first things I tried.

3. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    It appears the only thing that has been demonstrated to work is running the game under Wine (Windows emulation under Linux).

4. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Just a question for everyone...has anyone tried running XWA (or any of the Windows X-Wing games, for that matter) with a nVidia 9000 series video card under pure Windows? If you have, how did that work?

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Hey Everyone.

I've just got this game working again.
    Does anyone want a game?
    And can anyone help me install this NJO Mod which I'm supposed to be in?

6. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    Long time, no post. :)

DTM has released two new OPTs for his Clone Wars shipset project...

First, the V-19 Torrent starfighter:

[image=http://www.mtdindustries.com/xwa/progress/V-19/V-19.jpg]

And here is the Radiant Armed Cruiser, AKA the Republic Corvette:

[image=http://www.mtdindustries.com/xwa/progress/RepCorvette/Rep.corvette.jpg]

For the meaning of both ships' flight group colors and discussion of the OPTs, visit the XWA Upgrade Project forums. The OPTs can be downloaded from DTM's site.

7. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    V-19? Should be the M-Wing.

Just looked at "Nadim's" profile for Darth-Hannibal, 2002? Wow, over 6 years ago... time flies eh? lol

I'll ask JP if he has XWA disc's and I'll try install on my laptop... (vista though)

8. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I was saying to Sesfan the other day that I was planning on writing an FAQ for re-installing the game, because it seems like such a fuss to get it up and running these days.

9. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I would probably play if we had something like that

10. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    I'll write it tonight <3

11. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    you mean how to install all this extra mods, right?

12. SoloCommand

Jun 15, 2001
    I meant how to install and tweak it to run on modern machines, Flare :(

13. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    it doesnt just run on its own?

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Vista is evil...

The mods are simple enough to install. Open the directory folder and put the downloaded file in, then go ingame - and when choosing MP - there will be a list of scenario's etc and they should be there, no?

15. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Good job on writing that up.

Unreliable :rolleyes:

16. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    He's a mod, what you expect?

17. arthurclavin2

arthurclavin2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 27, 2003
    Man, am I glad I ran into this thread!

Could someone give me some pointers on beating 2-2. "Ensnare Imp. Prototypes"?

I'm getting rocked! How exactly have any of you gone about beating that level (on medium)?

18. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Is the trouble you're having mostly with those heavy transports?

19. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Will this game even work for Vista now? I would love to play again but my old computer is down.

20. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    32-bit Vista, certainly. If you have problems getting the game to work in 32-bit Vista, you may want to install DirectX 9.0c even though you have DirectX 10. The DX9 DLLs are different, so your DX10 games won't be affected.

21. arthurclavin2

Sep 27, 2003
    I'm running it with XP64, but I successfully ran it with Vista64 some time ago. Took a bit of work and Google searching. I had to try out the new models! Hadn't played it since the initial release.

Anyway, regarding the mission I'm having trouble with...

If only I could get to the transports. How do you deal with the initial wave of prototypes AND keep enough wingmen intact to go after the transports? I successfully managed, on one VERY RARE occasion, to knock out all four flight groups during the first head-to-head encounter but all of my wingmen were gone. In that same attempt, I went after the transport, but with no luck (I tried getting behind it, so only one of its weapons were firing as I fired my own ion warheads). If only I could keep my wingmen and get them past the TIEs over to the transports!!!

What's the trick? Is it all about insanely good dog-fighting skills? How exactly have you gone about beating it? What's your particular strategy? I haven't slept in weeks!!!

22. Wildstar02301

Aug 7, 2003
    arthur, I'm sure there's a TacOp for the mission on the CRS Morning Star site (see my signature and go to the "Tactical" section).

23. arthurclavin2

Sep 27, 2003
    Never been there before. Thanks for the heads up!

24. CommanderSesfan

CommanderSesfan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    In the interest of public service I'd like to report that X-wing Alliance does in fact work in 64-bit Vista. The problem is that the third-party software used to install the game (InstallShield, that 90's game staple) only works on 16-bit machines or machines with 16-bit libraries. Vista 64 has neither. Fortunately, this man has written a 32-bit installer package, which can be found here http://www.markusegger.at/Software/Games.aspx

It's a complicated process since it involves slipstreaming the new installer package into an X-Wing Alliance ISO image, but once the game is installed you can use the original cds to play. Enjoy.

25. Underleft

Underleft Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 25, 1999
    I just got this working on 32 bit vista with my 8800. When I first started it I had no models or hud showing up. I installed the newest drivers from Nvidia (released dec 13 I think) and I turned the space debris off. Everything works perfect now. Brings back some good memories. Definitly the best sim out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.