main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA Jerms finally DID IT ! (In other words... JAPAN HERE I COME !!!)

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by MasterBarkeep3633, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterBarkeep3633

MasterBarkeep3633 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 9, 2004
    Finally... after many, MANY years of college, and many, many mailed and E mailed applications, I have a job in Japan ! I'll be Teaching English this September, and leaving late Augest ! And get this... the town I'll be teaching in is called...... ChiYODA ! [face_laugh] Could that be ANY more perfect ????
    Unfortunatly... this means I can't afford to go to Comic Con (Mostly cause I don't have a ticket... and MR is giving me the Shove off... Gurrrr [face_frustrated] ) OR any other high cost event. But I WILL Be having a party before I go in Augest !
    Sorry I haven't been attending meeting recently, but I've been working my Tail fin off to save up for the move... I'll keep you updated... but I know much of the Japanese Garrison can't wait to have me back out there !
    JERMS/TK-3633

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Congrats, Jerms!

3. MtnJedi

MtnJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2005
    Congratulations. Sounds like a great experience. I went there for only 10 days but it was fasinating. Enjoy your new home! =D=

4. me-gonk

me-gonk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Congratulations!!

5. MasterBarkeep3633

May 9, 2004
    Thanks ! I really can't wait to go... so I'm packing now... <Sigh> I think the only problem I'll have is the lack of Burger and Pizza Variaty.... all they have out there for burgers are McDonalds, and most of their pizzas are THIN crust.... yuck.... Thankfully there's still plenty of other things to eat there... !
    JERMS !!!

6. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    wow! this is really big - i know that you've been wanting to get to live in Japan, and now your chance has come!

congrats on having a plan and sticking to it!

7. Volntyr

Volntyr Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    Dude, if you want to go to Con, just let me know...

8. MasterBarkeep3633

May 9, 2004
    I do.... BUT what I want more are the GG busts... I need to nab two... (one for myself, one for Shuji, who is nabbing me the GG from Celebration Japan). If you have a spare ticket... I'd be insainly greatful..... but you don't have to go out of your way to do so... I'd only be able to go for a day or two (work is killing me). Thank you.
    Man.... my whole body shakes just thinking about it... JAPAN ! This.... is going to be good. I found out I start out there on the 18th.... so I'll be leaving on the 14th... count on a party probably on the 9th or 10th of Augest, or on the 2ed or 3erd. Depends on weather I can go visit my GPs in Texas.
    JERMS/TK-3633

9. Volntyr

Apr 23, 2002
    Consider yourself ticketed :cool:

10. MasterBarkeep3633

May 9, 2004
    Um..... WOW.... Thanks ! =D=
    Pm me the details please... Wow... When IS Comic Con ? I haven't been paying attention... lol...
    JERMS !!!

11. Volntyr

Apr 23, 2002
    Comic Con is July 23rd (preview night) to July 27th.

12. Volntyr

Apr 23, 2002
    Hi Jerms,
    Shoot me a PM for info.

13. MasterBarkeep3633

May 9, 2004
    So I have a month... Goodie... I might be able to save up some money to spend at it. Not much... I just found out I'm not teaching in Chiyoda, but in Nikku, Japan. Look it up... Rural Country area, it SNOWS There !!!! :eek: Guess I better get some cold weather clothing.... (at least I won't have to worry about my computer overheating there... eh ?
    Thanks again VERY MUCH for this... !
    JERMS !!!!

14. JediLarryB

JediLarryB Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2003
    Congrats on getting your wish to teach in Japan, Jerms!

I'll be going there next month for Celebration Japan. Any good advice for a first-time Japan traveler?

This kept my Comic-Con plans up in the air until know. It looks like I'll be able to attend Comic-Con as usual after all, but it looks like the four-day passes are all gone. I need to start looking at other options.

15. MasterBarkeep3633

May 9, 2004
    If your Staying in Tokyo, Akihabara is a GREAT place to go for any Geek ! Of corse the imperial Palace and and all those other intresting places.. IF you are going to other cities, THEN I can tell you much more, as I was only in Tokyo for 2 days. Contact Shuji of the Japanese Garrison, he can help you more then I can. Just be sure to study a LOT of Japanese before you go, because everyone there does NOT NOT NOT speak english ! (And for the love of the force, do not get the idea that people walk around with Kitana swords like in Kill Bill...or I'll slap you... ) Cash is also a must. Credit cards don't exactly work there. At least, some of them don't.
    JERMS !!!

16. JediLarryB

Jun 25, 2003
    Thanks, Jerms! I'll be staying in Chiba and following up on your recommendations.
    MTFBWU!

17. JediZabrak

JediZabrak Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2004
    CONGRATS, JERMS! I'm so happy for you, that's awesome news! =D=

18. MasterBarkeep3633

May 9, 2004
    Chiba... good place.... IF you are traveling accross the Shinkonsen, get a rail pass HERE NOW ! They are SOOOO worth it. (Around $400, but allow unlimited travel accross such major railways... ) And Kyoto is a MUST !!!!

19. JediZabrak

JediZabrak Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2004
    I'm still dying to go & visit the Kodokan in Tokyo because I have become a huge Judo enthusiast. [face_love]

20. MasterBarkeep3633

May 9, 2004
    Oi Vay ! Well.. good news for me... moving fees are going to be less then I expected... $1400 for 200 cubic feet, door to port, and only $250 for the truck (That includes gas and "Munchies"). Heh... And here I am worried it'll cost me more then $3000....
    Still... snow... any one know some place selling cold weather clothing at a discount right now ? Particularly cold weather pants and gloves ! Thanks !
    JERMS !!!!

21. JediLarryB

Jun 25, 2003
    Jerms, does a traveler from the US to Japan need to have any special power adapters or converters for a variety of devices, including laptop, portable DVD player, and assorted chargers? Thanks.

22. me-gonk

me-gonk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    LL Bean might be a good place to look. They don't have a store on the west coast but their website it really good.

23. MasterBarkeep3633

May 9, 2004
    For a 3 prong plug, yes, as well as for most 2 prong plugs where the prongs are diffrent sizes. They arn't hard to get... IF someone from the Japanese garrison is helping you, they can show you around and where to get onoe. Or you can try Fries. The voltage is the same for there, it's just the plug shape there is kinda diffrent. Shouldn't be too big a problem... I'll bring an adapter I bought to show you. JERMS !!!

24. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    a luggage store or REI might also stock voltage adapters, though make sure that ones you get are rated for electronics - most cheaper adapters are designed for devices like shaver and hair dryers, and so aren't as clean with the power as electronics need. i fried out my camera charger's adapter with a european voltage adapter.

but since japan is the same voltage and just a different shape, it should be ok.

or you can contact your electronics maker to order a japanese adapter for your laptop instead of an american one, though that might be more expensive.

25. JediLarryB

Jun 25, 2003
    Thanks for the great info, folks! I'll see about getting the appropriate adapters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.