main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  2. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Removed.

3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
  4. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    All I know is that Simon Pegg called the script "amazeballs", so I'm guessing it's better than that Olympus idea. OTOH, actors usually say that about their projects, regardless of quality (well, maybe aside from Jolene Blalock).

5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I hope this far surpasses the previous film, which I loved and is one of my favorites but since the characters have been established(or re-established) I can see alot of awesome sci-fi coolness in possible future stories.

6. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Star Trek 2009 was good...as long as you don't think too hard

Such as you know, creating instantanious teleportation across light years, Warping into the thick atmosphere of a moon orbiting saturn.

The fact that Vulcan seems to have no Colonies, as they are now an endagered species after 1000 years of FTL capability.

the subject of Red Matter, and then there is the whole black hole/wormhole thing.

and jumping from Cadet to Captain...

Cadet
    Midship man
    Ensign
    Lt junior grade
    Lt
    Lt Commander
    Commander
    Captain

Thats alot of ranks...and Cadet and midship man arn't really ranks.

7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I will forgive a lot, IF the story is good.

IF the story is GOOD.

Do I see any likelyhood of that happening? No.

8. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Star Trek Sequel Being Prepped off 70 page outline.

Having 70 pages of script maybe already prepped equals about 70 minutes of the film, so it makes me wander if this movie will come out on time or be delayed. Other movies scheduled for release around that time (the Spiderman reboot and The Dark Knight Rises) are already filming, and it looks like they won't start filming the Star Trek Sequel until around December at the earliest.

9. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    True, those Starfleet Uniforms from II-VI are simply cool and classy!
    [image=http://www.topsocialite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/star-trek.gif]

10. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Unlikely, since those uniforms came into vogue a good 15-20 years after the TOS original five year mission, which is where (or rather, when) I gather the new movies will still take place. :-B

11. Tholain

Tholain Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2011
    Lets see what can we retcon out of these.

12. Tholain

Tholain Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2011
    It would be great to have Hirogen centered story.

There are on of the few great unused villains.

13. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Considering the Kelvin crew wore the Enterprise's emblem, I think all the old uniform rules have been pushed out the airlock.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    They're in the Delta Quadrant and, unlike the Borg, have no easy way of traveling the vast distance to Federation territory.

15. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I'm not sure I understand the reservation on the military capabilities of the Romulan mining vessel. As I understand it, TNG is set about 100 yrs or so after TOS and the TOS ended about 20 yrs or so after the era we're talking about, give or take. In any case, we're talking about at least a technological delta of a century between Nero's ship and anything they face in the movie (with the exception of Spock's ship, of course).

If Nero's ship was reasonably well armed for self-defense in the post-TNG era (and considering how hostile space seemed to be, it'd be harder to believe they weren't armed), I don't see any reason it wouldn't absolutely mop the floor with anything it faced with 100+ yr old technology. I mean, it's about as lopsided as a modern-day JSF facing a bunch of Fighting Bi-Planes from WWI.

Ok. It'd be more like outfitting a lear jet with guns and missiles, but I still think it'd be a pretty one-sided fight.

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I think it's more comparable to one of those Deepwater Horizon-like drilling rigs going up against the HMS Dreadnought... or a dozen Dreadnoughts.

And it's not as though the basic weapons/shields (along with propulsion) technology in Trek really evolved much in those 100 years, hence why the Trek EU attempted to explain it as "Borg."

17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Well, I hope the reboot enjoys itself. I'm pretty well done with the ST saga and that's sad especially since I was a hardcore fan for 14 years. But the magic's gone.

18. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I don't mind the "Narada being upgraded with Borg tech" explanation the Countdown comic gave. It explains why it was still able to work after George Kirk rammed the Kelvin into it. The more preposterous thing the Star Trek comics gave was that Nero learned where and when Spock would arrive was from the Abramsverse version of V'Ger.

No. I am not kidding about that.

19. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Well the "TNG" era spans over 20 years now. Nero was from the post-Nemesis era meaning it's about 150 years after the birth of Kirk, so it'd have no trouble taking out the Kelvin even with modest self-defence weaponry (but these are the Romulans we're talking about, it'd probably even hold itself against 24th century ships).

20. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    The problem I have with the comparison is that no drilling rig is armed for self-defense. But taking your analogy at face value, if you outfitted one of those rigs with modern radar and targeting systems and sufficient ASCM inventory, an entire squadron of dreadnaughts would be fish food before they got within 20 miles.

Well, here's where we reach the limit of my ST nerdiness. I can't comment on this point at all. From a look/feel perspective, propulsion, phasers and photon torpedoes all appear dramatically advanced from TOS to TNG but I acknowledge this might just be a function of better S/FX. That said, it's pretty ridiculous to believe that over a 100+ yr period, technology is relatively stagnant across an entire galaxy.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It's more that they still use warp drive (as opposed to a biplane/jet comparison)-- albeit faster for reasons they don't explain because it's made up :p, and the technology was already two centuries old by the time Kirk showed up; shields are still the same energy bubble thing; phasers/disruptors seemed to have only changed color; anti-matter warhead torpedoes (which I've always thought should really produce a much bigger explosion since they're supposedly many magnitudes above nukes in terms of yield but whatever) are still the basic projectile-- or whatever they're called-- weapons.

Yeah, you could argue that things like guns are centuries old yet an AK-47 easily outmatches a flintlock. But that sort of nuanced development is usually lost in fictional tech, so I'm left unsatisfied with the hand-wave "It's from the future!" explanation for a super-powerful mining ship.

22. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Well, I always thought of the improvements to be along the lines of energy output/density.

Agreed that the fundamental physics (lol!) of the technology seems not to have evolved from one era to the next, but that doesn't mean that there haven't been major advancement in weapons technology. That's like saying firearms haven't really evolved since the development of the Gatling Gun. Or that torpedoes haven't changed since the Mk18.

Everything in the ST universe seems to depend on being able to harness and release/manipulate (unreasonably) massive amounts of energy in a fairly concentrated manner. The technological advancements seem to be (to me, at least) just how massive that amount of energy is.

And zacparis' point is a good one. Given that these guys were Romulans, chances are that they outfitted their mining vessel with more than just basic self-defense weapons.

Edit: Oh. You acknowledged my point in edit and don't like it. Fine. You don't like "It's from the future!"? How about "It's a movie!" :p

23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, yes, but I think it's lazy. They could've easily made it a warship without changing much else (bore into the planet's crust with weapons instead of a drill, which had been done before on the TV series :p).

24. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Agreed, they could have made it a warship with little effort. But making it a civilian vessel made the argument that he wasn't acting on orders from the Romulan Empire all the more believable (for the audience, at least).

25. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    It's basically turned into Star Wars hasn't it. They don't feel they need to explain or justify anything anymore. Like Spock's ship for example, what the hell was that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.